Modern tv for old school?

kit352

CAGiversary!
Sadly I must let go of my sony wega ive been using for retro gaming.  Im redoing my gaming room into something more user friendly to people other than myself and the sony is getting the axe.  I need a smallish modern tv to do triple duty as a old and new gaming tv and a decent movie watching  tv.  Im probably looking at 42in at the biggest.  My main tv is 60in so no need to really compete with that.  Im thinking a smaller modern tv will benefit the resolution of the older games too. 

Any suggestions?  I know from past experience a plasma will burn in the static images of games like final fantasy so those are out.  Leaves led or lcd I guess.

Ya, I keep hearing about the lag.  Plasma's are the best for that but i've already burned a few so I cant go that route.  The led/lcd ones have lags all over the charts.  I just need to find some good models to look at for a basis. 

Is lag important when playing old games on the newer TVs? I want to hook up my Retron5 as well as my Atari 2600.
Yeah, though from what I understand, it depends on the specific TV as well. I noticed it with PS2-era DDR games on ours, but fortunately, I found some in-game tools to account for that. If you're playing games that don't require absolute precision, though (basically, most anything that's not a fighting or rhythm game), it's not an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still rockin' my WEGA Trinitron with S-Video and Component. If I do get a PS4, the next TV I'm hooking it up to will be a computer monitor, like the one used at EVO.

Ya I love my wega and had planned to keep it till it died since everything is perfect on it.  Unfortunately its girth is too much for my new furniture to take and its just to big to fit anywhere.  I have no room for a crt tv anymore.   Sad days for sure.  Just need to find a decent work around. 

Quit buying cheap furniture. Invest in something rock solid. Build like a real man, for instance. O:)

Seriously, it's a shame that furniture is as cheap as our tvs, since they're both made in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually all my furniture is from the 18 and early 1900's.  Ive spent alot of time and money buying antique stuff since you cant buy craftsman ship like that anymore.  I have no doubt the furniture will hold the tv its just not sized for the tv.  TV's either werent invented or was furniture itself when my stuff was made.  A wall hanger is my only choice for a decent size tv.  I could fit like a 13in crt on a table or something but thats odd and would suck to play on.

Im narrowing it down to some lcd tv's.  Looks like somewhere in the 30in range is about as big as you can go and still have decent pic quality.  It's also important to have a gaming mode on the tv since it helps the older games sync up easier. 

I have a 60" Panasonic 3D Plasma with the following all hooked up to it without any issues except for N64 which looks like crap. Dreamcast is not the best either.  But N64 is almost unplayable..

NES

SNES

N64

Game Cube

Dream Cast

Sega Console

PS3

Wii

Wii U

Are you having any issues with burn in on the older systems?  I can see some burn in on an older plasma I have from life bars and such.

Do you think a small screen would help the quality of some games or systems?  I think blowing up games to such massive sizes might be an issue when sizing a tv.

Are you having any issues with burn in on the older systems? I can see some burn in on an older plasma I have from life bars and such.

Do you think a small screen would help the quality of some games or systems? I think blowing up games to such massive sizes might be an issue when sizing a tv.
I have Zero issue with burn in on any of my 5 plasma TV's.. A smaller screen will help but with the N64 I don't think anything will help. It's just that bad.

bread's done
Back