Modern Warfare 2 or Halo 3: ODST?

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
First off, no flaming.

edit2: Please read the post before responding. I don't own Halo 3, so paying $60 (actually $40) for ODST isn't an issue for me. I don't own the game, so the expansion is welcome.

I own CoD4 (level 55) and I've played Halo 1-3. From what I've played, CoD is the better game. More interesting single player for sure, multiplayer is good too.

Halo 3/ODST seem nice. I love the idea of Forge, plus all of the other multiplayer content. But is the multiplayer gameplay fun? I hate the concept of dual wielding, plus the odd control scheme.

My favorite console FPS ever is TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. (Can't wait for Perfect Dark, it's probably great too.)

Which game should I get? Keep in mind ODST is a good value for someone like me who didn't buy Halo 3.

edit: Looks like I fucked up the poll. I tried to make it so you can see the results if you vote. What actually happens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm skipping ODST and going for Modern Warfare 2.

I'm all Halo'd out, and I didn't pick up the original Modern Warfare...so I definitely want to jump on the bandwagon this time around.

Maybe if I take a long enough break from Halo, I'll eventually jump back in.

So my vote is Modern Warfare 2 :)

Already preordered ODST - always been a big Halo fan. Only played MW briefly, but it looked good. Haven't experienced the multiplayer but I hear great things. I will get MW2 as well, but I'm waiting for a good preorder deal. I missed the Amazon $10 deal.

in terms of online, I prefer MW, the battles are more intense and really give you a good vibe when you've won the battle.

but I love the story in halo, definitely since there going with a mystery thriller style in odst.

As much as I like Halo, I just haven't been able to get excited about ODST at all for some reason.

I'll get it someday, but MW2 seems like a much better first choice.

MW2 easily wins in my book. ODST just feels like an expansion to me and they just made it to milk more money from the Halo fanbase.

I have MW2 preordered with release day shipping. I'll be waiting to pick up ODST when it hits $30 or so.

Halo is arcadey fun, and reminds me alot of Unreal Tournament, but thats not the type of game that can keep my interest for very long. I played Halo 3 for a couple of months when it came out, then put it down and never really touched it again. I mostly want ODST because it contains all the map packs that have been released so far.

COD4 was my favorite console shooter ever, and ranks right up there with Counter-Strike as a game I can never get tired of. I have weeks invested in COD4 online and I already took the week off from work when it's released so I can play nonstop for a few days. The RPG like leveling up really has me hooked.

So yeah, COD MW2 all the way!

Both. I'll probably be a little tired of ODST by the time MW2 comes out, but I'll keep it for when I want a change of pace from MW2.

[quote name='Puffa469']Halo is arcadey fun, and reminds me alot of Unreal Tournament, but thats not the type of game that can keep my interest for very long. I played Halo 3 for a couple of months when it came out, then put it down and never really touched it again. I mostly want ODST because it contains all the map packs that have been released so far.[/QUOTE]

Wow. You've basically summed up my current opinion on Halo 3 and I just got into the series, haha. Well done. After I'm done achievement hunting I can't imagine touching it again except for a quick campaign run. I have to admit the only reason I'm still playing is for achievements and to see just how far I can go as a newbie because it's something different to play. I'll end up snagging ODST next week as "busy work" so to speak until MW2 arrives since I have a $20 TRU gift card to burn (and to score all the Halo 3 map packs).

I'm not a hardcore CoD fan but I can't ignore how addictive its MP truly is and this is coming from a guy who sucked so much at it I was teetering on whether or not I should trade it in. Since then I stuck with it and came to realize there's something magical about it. Time and time again it has provided the most balanced streamlined MP experience my current library has to offer. If you can afford both then snag them so you'll at least have something new to tide you over until MW2.

...Otherwise MW2 for the f*cking win.

I was excited for Halo 3:Recon, until they changed it to ODST, and then they decided to release it as a full retail game @$59.99. :bomb: MW2, thanks for being a REAL retail release. Ok, (whew!), rant over. :roll:

Both, at least for me.

ODST from what I've read/heard is a rather full campaign and offers up a Halo Reach Beta (impossible for me to pass up) and all the Halo 3 premium maps that seem to be pretty much required to play in match making these days.

Modern Warfare 2 is the sequel to the best multiplayer FPS I've played but I still like to throw in Halo 3 into the mix for variety.

Definitely the sequel to the best game on the 360, PS3, and Wii - Modern Warfare 2.

I just wish the ridiculous sales this game is going to get wouldn't serve to further inflate Kotick's exaggerated opinion of his business savvy. I'm sorry Kotick but you already ran Guitar Hero into the ground, and God knows you're trying with Call of Duty (by not letting Infinity Ward differentiate their product from Treyarch like they wanted to). All of the good original games nowdays are actually being released by EA and Take-Two. Soon enough, Activision will come to the same realization EA did and hopefully kick Kotick to the curb...

EA and Take-Two are decent investments. I think EA is better managed. Activision-Blizzard is very successful at the moment, but I think that it will be difficult for Blizzard to so totally dominate the MMO field forever and Activision's franchises will eventually peter out.

Im getting both. I pre-ordered MW2 a few months ago and i just pre-ordered ODST earlier today. But im more excited for MW2 since its a whole new game and ODST is only a new campaign with a few additions to muliplayer.

[quote name='life.exe']ODST just feels like an expansion to me[/QUOTE]
Probably because it is.

and they just made it to milk more money from the Halo fanbase.

Meanwhile, Modern Warfare 2 is purely a personal statement from the developers, made solely for the sake of furthering the art of the video game industry. They don't care if they make a dime on it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Meanwhile, Modern Warfare 2 is purely a personal statement from the developers, made solely for the sake of furthering the art of the video game industry. They don't care if they make a dime on it.[/QUOTE]

lol

ODST for sure, I will wait for a cheap MW2, took me 9 months after getting MW1 to beat MW1, it was easy however because I hate the tag along or rather must follow AI where I have to wait to follow them.. IMO if a game must have AI partner/Team, do like rainbow Six vegas or even Mass Effect tell them what to do or you can just ignore them and let them do whatever they will behind your lead. But don't get me wrong if I could turn off the team AI junk in MW series I would love MW series... I have no problem with the Graphics or the rest of the gameplay

[quote name='KaneRobot']Probably because it is.

Meanwhile, Modern Warfare 2 is purely a personal statement from the developers, made solely for the sake of furthering the art of the video game industry. They don't care if they make a dime on it.[/QUOTE]

So you approve of the $60 for an expansion pack?

Paying $60 for MW2 doesn't seem like such a rip off.

[quote name='bleak']Definitely the sequel to the best game on the 360, PS3, and Wii - Modern Warfare 2.[/QUOTE]
The Wii is just now getting Modern Warfare 1 and its further subtitled Reflex. Oh and it's being ported by Treyarch.

I'm looking forward to Modern Warfare 2 more than any other game I can think of. All the videos I've seen for it have been... :drool: It looks like Infinity Ward has taken what made their last game such a huge hit and amped it as much as they could. It doesn't look like they took Modern Warfare 1 and added new maps and a new story unlike World At War. It looks completely fresh and I can't wait to play it.

ODST

[quote name='life.exe']So you approve of the $60 for an expansion pack?
[/QUOTE]

A 4-6 hour game with horde mode? Sounds like GoW2.

This is probably the hardest question for me to answer, both games are my most wanted of the year.. been watching quite a few Modern Warfare 2 videos recently and the game seems alot more polished than the original and seems x100 more fun. ODST just Halo, so it's going to be amazing anyway.

It seems that a lot of people are forgetting that you also get Halo 3's multiplayer with ODST, and all of the DLC map packs included. It's not solely an expansion pack.

Please read the post before responding. I don't own Halo 3, so paying $60 (actually $40) for ODST isn't an issue for me. I don't own the game, so the expansion is welcome.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']It seems that a lot of people are forgetting that you also get Halo 3's multiplayer with ODST, and all of the DLC map packs included. It's not solely an expansion pack.[/QUOTE]

True, but if anyone has kept up then it's nothing more than a single Map Pack.

Not really. Think of it like this.

Bungie has stated that this is way more than an expansion, and given their track record, I believe 'em.

If you don't own Halo 3, and don't care about the single player, and haven't bought any of the map packs, then you're getting $30 of content right there.

Firefight is a brand new experience for beginners and for veterans as well. It will add loads of content, as well as just being fun. And yes, it's almost exactly like Horde Mode, but some people have not had that experience yet.

So, if you really break it down, you have the original campaign which I would say should go for $60 because it is a full game, the multiplayer (and let's face it, most people bought Halo 3 for this. Only this.) which is around $50 with all the content, and Horde Mode Halo which I would say is like $15. So all in all, to me, this is a $125 for under half that price. Great value. And you know that almost no more content will come out, so their is no after-purchase cost. To me, this is all I need for the Holidays. (Unless Bioshock 2 was coming out. Then I'd also need that.)

I'd go with MW2. ODST's campaign is about 6 hours long, so unless you KNOW you're going to love the multiplayer and play it nonstop, I'd hold off for a bit. Also, unlike Gears of Wars 2's Horde mode, Firefight does NOT have matchmaking (like Halo's co-op), so unless your friends also have ODST (or you don't mind making some), you're out of luck.

It would not surprise me if they updated Firefight mode to allow matchmaking in the future, though. They've made after-the-fact adjustments in the past (remember the grenade strength in Halo 2?).

I side with Mr Dude65 on his rationale for picking up ODST ... to an extent. $125 of content might be pushing it a little bit, but I'd say, compared to a lot of crap games that do come out at $60, ODST more than justifies its price tag.

This is taking into account that it's not really a $60 game, unless you're not really a CAGer. Toys R Us is giving you $20 back in the form of store credit along with a pretty cool-looking action figure (albeit probably cheap). Amazon is giving $15 store credit back plus $5 MP3 credit (plus whatever extra savings you can get).

I'll tell you why it was worth it for me, and I'm only a little ashamed to say I traded in games to Gamestop. But with their extra $20 credit for 4 trades, I was able to let go of my copy of Halo 3 (which I only played lately for multiplayer anyway) for $15, get an extra $20 on top of that and store credit for my other 3 games. So by letting go of my Halo 3 and getting ODST, I'm not only getting the last map pack I didn't purchase, I'm getting three new maps on top of that and my Halo 3 multiplayer back. So, that said, it was worth every penny.

As for the debate, I'm on the side of split decision - I'm getting both games at launch. They're both must-have titles, in my opinion, and because I rarely buy games, I can justify getting both of them this year.

[quote name='jaso']It would not surprise me if they updated Firefight mode to allow matchmaking in the future, though. They've made after-the-fact adjustments in the past (remember the grenade strength in Halo 2?).
[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of a stretch. People have been begging for matchmaking for Halo 3 co-op for years, and even Halo Wars is co-op matchmakingless. It's just not on their radar.

[quote name='ProggleRock']That's a bit of a stretch. People have been begging for matchmaking for Halo 3 co-op for years, and even Halo Wars is co-op matchmakingless. It's just not on their radar.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Those are still essentially storyline-driven modes and not real multiplayer in the sense of, say, team deathmatch. I'm sure they have their reasons for ommitting it at launch, but I'm betting the public outcry from the Halo community will be too loud for Bungie to ignore. Think about it - people begged for team snipers for over a year, and Bungie eventually relented.

[quote name='jaso']I disagree. Those are still essentially storyline-driven modes and not real multiplayer in the sense of, say, team deathmatch. I'm sure they have their reasons for ommitting it at launch, but I'm betting the public outcry from the Halo community will be too loud for Bungie to ignore. Think about it - people begged for team snipers for over a year, and Bungie eventually relented.[/QUOTE]

You've got a point. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm just still bitter about there being no support for Halo 3 co-op.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Odst over MW2? Uh... why? Odst is like 2 hours of gameplay and no competitive online. Worthless.[/QUOTE]
Because lots of people like Halo 3 and I don't have it, yet I have MW?

I ordered ODST from Amazon for $40. I can make most of it back if I hate it, probably.

bread's done
Back