ModNation Racers, Split/Second or Blur?

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Posting a comment in the Burnout thread made me think of this. I don't think there is a doubt GT5 will be the way to go for a realistic racer. Burnout Paradise has been awesome for a long time. But where is the next place for a fun racer?

I will probably get only one of the above games, so I was curious which game you guys were leaning towards. This would highly influence my purchase as having good people to play online with means a lot.

Some of you have played ModNation. It seems to be delayed to tweak it based on the beta thoughts. Creation has a huge appeal.

Blur... The first rule of Fight Club.... The trailers look cool and they delayed it as well. From Bizarre who did Project Gotham Racing did this.

And Split/Second looks amazing to me. Minimized HUD and big events blasting off. Team that did Pure did this.

Below are the latest trailers... Thoughts? Stay with Burnout (wish new one was coming instead of them doing Need for Speed)? Anybody migrating to the next big fun racer (whatever it ends up being)?

MODNATION RACERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKFJpJNuEI

SPLIT/SECOND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtsKn5kZYU

BLUR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7A8_ZAIjbo

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting all 3 .

Blur looks like MarioKart with real cars I care about with a real controller .

Split Second looks like a pretty decent threat to the Burnout type racers .

ModNation Racers should be cheap enough to not have to worry about the price, even though I haven't played the Beta as much as I thought I was going to .

I didn't vote in the poll .

They're all really too different to compare...I'd definitely get ModNation Racers depending on the price it launches at. Otherwise, I'd lean more towards Split/Second.

I've never understood the appeal of Blur at all. It doesn't look like anything I'd ever want to play and I loved the PGR series. It looks like they took the least interesting part of Midnight Club LA (the powers) and made an entire game based around it.

I'd go for Split/Second first since it looks like it could be the first great Burnout competitor. Then ModNation Racers would be my second choice.

Blur followed closely by ModNation Racers. I've always wanted a real car racing game with decent physics and crazy powerups like Mario Kart.

I'd say modnation racers if you're a fan of kart racers. The customization and community support will put it on top of the kart racing games.

Being able to create your own tracks, karts, and racers sounds pretty good. Play. Create. Share.!

[quote name='Saint Noir']J7, I used to think the exact same thing... :lol:

FYI - Split/Second currently has the Amazon $10 preorder credit available.[/QUOTE]

So what made you change your mind? I enjoy real cars and real physics and I enjoy crazy powerups, it's a mash up of two enjoyable genres. Imagine Wipeout without powerups and then getting them 10 years later, same type of thing here.

I want to get ModNation if the netcode sees an enormous improvement from the beta. I love Mario Kart and love LittleBigPlanet, so the meshing of a playstyle and an ideal seems too good to pass up. I probably will wait a little bit though, since I need some time to recover from the huge Q1 to get ready for the potentially huge quarters 3 and 4.

[quote name='J7.']So what made you change your mind? I enjoy real cars and real physics and I enjoy crazy powerups, it's a mash up of two enjoyable genres. Imagine Wipeout without powerups and then getting them 10 years later, same type of thing here.[/QUOTE]

I cannot say. :whistle2:$

Nirron, what was up with the beta's netcode?

It was nigh impossible to get into any online. Despite there obviously being people who wanted a match, it took forever for the matchmaking to work. In the off chance it did work, if I didn't get booted (timed out or what not) then pretty much half the people there would. It was just really poor overall. I remember LittleBigPlanet had online issues when it first launched, but this pretty much entailed the same problems only five times worse. It was a shame too, because what I did play of the beta I loved. The customization (however limited due to the restriction on items you were given), track building, and actual racing were great. It definitely has a Mario Kart in HD vibe.

I'm sure they're working on it a bit though. I'm assuming it was beta for a reason, though I hope they do some stress tests before they launch the full game.

Hmm... with David Jaffe's supposed "Soon bitch.... 8 or 9 months" in regards to Twisted Metal PS3, that would imply THE car combat game coming to PS3 for Holiday 10 season.

If that is the case, I will probably do away with Blur or ModNation from my personal choices. Of course, I won't if this turns out not to be the case. Sony is probably saving the big info for E3.

I'd wasn't gonna do any, but after seeing that video of Blur, I'd probably go with it. It's the only one that make any bit of sense. I'd like ModNation if it wasn't mario kart.

Lol this may seem random but how many people play Burnout online? And is the single player fun?

My choice would be Modnation Racers, then Split Second, and finally Blur.

Modnation Racers just happens to be in my Goldbox today for either 54 or 55 cant remember , I guess I might as well preorder now while I can get it for so cheap :D

Part of me wants to be surprised by the ModNation love, especially in the wake of people's beta impressions being on the tepid side. On the other hand, I did expect some "its teh excluzive" mentality that would cause people to vote for it more. Not saying that is the case for everyone, but certainly is for some.

I loved Modnation Racers but the online interactivity/play is horrible.

I hope they fix those issues. I haven't heard of the other ones.

I didn't think MNR was a full price disc game .
I thought it was a $20 PSN downloadable title .

I just lost interest until a price-drop/Greatest Hits comes around .

bread's done
Back