Monado: Beginning of the World / Xenoblade (Wii) Pre-Order @ amazon ($59.99)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Before coming in here to complain MSRP isn't a deal, please listen for a bit!

There is an increasingly growing campaign, spanning multiple forums and gaming sites (NeoGaf, IGN, GoNintendo, Kotaku, Destructoid, Gamefaqs, Nintendoeverything, and more), trying to get Nintendo to listen up and release this (+The Last Story and Pandora's Tower) in the U.S.

The campaign includes snail mail writing, e-mail, phone calls, facebook, and twitter and the turn-out has been beyond all expectations thus far. Comments on Nintendo's Facebook had passed 1,300 in just 24 hours.

But actions speak louder than words, so to convey that Nintendo fans really want this, people have decided to show for it by pre-ordering on amazon -- hoping to get it to the #1 sales rank in video games from #12,000+

Results:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #30 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > Action
#5 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

See this too: http://666kb.com/i/bunsqwbujfsk3nuqf.gif

So the deal is this, please pre-order it to help get it released in the U.S. Remember: actions speak louder than words.

Pre-Order: http://www.amazon.com/Monado-Beginn...1MYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309008677&sr=8-1

It costs nothing to pre-order! also, if the game does come out, the MSRP will surely drop to $49.99.

Edit -- Update #1:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #25 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#4 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #2:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #24 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#3 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #3 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#16 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#3 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #4 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#9 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Edit: Update #5 on amazon sales rank:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#4 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > Wii > All Games

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for calling me out or the mockery. Did I attack someone personally or something?

All I see are rabid fans claiming that they're a victim and that Nintendo is personally screwing them over by not releasing this game. I believe and doubt things are that simple. And all I ever did was give an explanation about why a localization might not be happening. I'm not saying it's a end-all-be-all explanation, but there's more facts and numbers behind it than "Nintendo hates its fans." They love you guys, or more specifically your wallets.

At the end of the day, this is about money one way or another. Just because Nintendo has a controlling interest in Monolith, doesn't mean this game costs nothing for them to develop, localize, and distribute. Someone's gotta get paid at the end of the day to make all of the stuff outside of development happen. If there truly is no chance of a localization can happen, it's going to come down to money. Sure, the localization might be "free" because it's in essence done with the European version, but they still need packaging, maybe marketing, and definitely need a way to actually get the games on shelves. Nintendo doesn't make games for free last I checked nor do products move around for free.

And the localization business doesn't seem that hot. All I can find was Atlus USA made a small profit in 2010 after the Demon's Souls release vs. the previous year where they were in the red. And with XSeed, I specifically remember Retro Game Challenge 2 not getting a localization because the first one didn't hit 100,000.

And really, I'm not sure why there isn't a little more optimism for the next Nintendo event. They never said the game was never ever going to come out stateside. As far as games that never got localized in recent memory, I think the Earthbound series never saw the light of day over here, half of the NES/Famicom series on the GBA, and those GBA Art games (although they got the Wii/DSi Ware treatment). All of that was GBA era. We somehow even got Odama during that generation! Really I'm more surprised by what we got this generation like Starfy on the DS and Sin and Punishment (both the N64 port/localization on the Virtual Console and the Wii sequel).

[quote name='bojay1997'] Frankly, I really want them to release the games. Having said that, I can fully understand why they might not want to even bother. You can argue all you want, but Nintendo is a smart corporation that turned a very gimmicky product into a worldwide hit with the Wii. I think they know a few things about business decisions.[/QUOTE]

I can fully understand why a soulless and shit corporation that I do not support might choose not to release these games. But not a game company claiming to support its fans and gamers. So which is nintendo? A soulless shit corporation, or a game company supporting its fans and gamers?

And which part of nintendo is the "smart corporation" in this case? The part that spent millions making these games, taking a huge financial risk in doing so. Or the part that already took that risk and made the investment, then decided not to release in their biggest potential market?

Why did they bother investing in companies that make jrpgs anyway? If your argument is jrpgs are niche and a risk and shouldn't bother to be sold, why make them? Maybe if these games were crap, they would decide not to release them. But if you invest in a product and it turns out to be praised as one of the best of its kind, you fucking distribute it and sell it. THATS GOOD BUSINESS. NOT making a product and refusing to sell it in your largest market, that tends to buy the most games.

After seeing this, can you still say it makes sense not to release these games in the U.S?
United States sales figures - Wii – 30 million

Japan sales figures - Wii – 11 million

United Kingdom sales figures - Wii – 8.3 million

How about this?http://kotaku.com/348358/japanese-wii-owners-dont-buy-many-wii-games

And I don't care how successful the wii was, I don't like the e-trade fanboy refrain of "nintendo is good at making money, just trust em to do whatever they want to make more." You keep telling us that localization costs money. We know that. Some cost more than others. This would be a very cheap localization, for some games there is a demand for. So they should just do it. Especially given the lack of games like this they have offered on their system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I probably wouldn't go as far as best of its kind, but my point was they already spent the money, why not try to get some of it back. Breaking even with preorders alone, and they still decide to spit at the supporting fans.

Before you even quote me bojay, yes, I'm aware that it's a niche product that would only sell 100k and only a marginal profit by Nintendo standards. Thanks for stating the obvious, enjoy your Wii and Zelda for the next year and a half.

[quote name='imacgod']
At the end of the day, this is about money one way or another. Just because Nintendo has a controlling interest in Monolith, doesn't mean this game costs nothing for them to develop, localize, and distribute. Someone's gotta get paid at the end of the day to make all of the stuff outside of development happen. If there truly is no chance of a localization can happen, it's going to come down to money. Sure, the localization might be "free" because it's in essence done with the European version, but they still need packaging, maybe marketing, and definitely need a way to actually get the games on shelves. Nintendo doesn't make games for free last I checked nor do products move around for free.
[/QUOTE]

Once more, with feeling.

We agree it doesn't need to be localized(check), or developed(check). It doesn't even need to be fucking marketed(check) at this point. I take it you don't realize the thousand upon thousands of comments on twitter, facebook, ign, gamefaqs, here(and more) and atleast a dozen articles and interviews about this on all sorts of game sites yet that has happened in what, less than a week from "starting"?

There are like 2600 responses to their initial "wait" statement on facebook. There were 3000 responses to their random ass mario trivia post mostly about this issue. There are 6600 responses to their "no" statement on facebook. There are already 500 responses to their latest facebook post dealing with the rewards for club nintendo most of which are people continuing to talk about it.

We agree it cost money to make the game and to pay them requires sales(check), so selling more copies equals more pay(logic, check). We agree it's not free to ship or package(check) but apparently we do disagree that packaging and shipping a game to retailers, something that has happened a billions times in the US if we talk about single units of games, is going to cost anywhere near even a conservative 100-200k copies sold in the US of a game with absolutely no development and if they so choose no localization costs.

"Yo atlus, we got this game with good reviews, ok sales and a great pedigree. We translated it over into english, gave it an english cast, but feeling kind of lazy. If you pay to make and ship the discs and do your own marketing, you can have all the profits, what do you say?"

This is basically what has happened, except it has stayed within the same company.

[quote name='Vortextk']
"Yo atlus, we got this game with good reviews, ok sales and a great pedigree. We translated it over into english, gave it an english cast, but feeling kind of lazy. If you pay to make and ship the discs and do your own marketing, you can have all the profits, what do you say?"[/QUOTE]

^This. Or how about nintendo keeps even 5%? It costs them nothing. All they do is make money from it, and make the fans happy. If they fail to release or don't allow someone else to distribute it, they deserve all the backlash and hate they have generated, and had to know was coming if they said no. Given the success of project rainfall

To clarify, that was like a mock up of what is being presented to NOA right now(not sure if you got that?), but hey, I wouldn't say no to them actually doing it.

It's always bizarre to me to witness consumers argue on the BEHALF of the company that's doing something either not in or against said consumers' own interests. There was a strange faction of people telling others NOT to be upset about the cuts from the Yakuza 3 localization too. Why tell people that have a passion for something or love something NOT to want their art to be the best that it can be? What point does it serve?

If a consumer complains about something a company is doing, the company may respond, or they may not. If the consumer DOES NOT complain what would the company even respond TO? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, people.

I support your fight, crusaders! And the argument that the localization is practically already done since it's being released in Europe makes PERFECT sense.

[quote name='bojay1997']Launching a major electronic product internationally at the same time you're supporting several other platforms including one that just launched three months ago is a massive undertaking for any corporation. 18 months is a short time period considering all of the logistical issues they need to deal with including actually planning for building the units, distribution, support to developers, etc...

I would agree with you that in the overall scheme of things, releasing this game and the other two would be "chump change" to a large corporation like Nintendo. The fact that they might also receive chump change level profits from the releases or even lose money is unfortunately a very real possibility, especially given the high proportion of people posting in this thread that they would cancel and buy it once it hit $20 or so. Frankly, I really want them to release the games. Having said that, I can fully understand why they might not want to even bother. You can argue all you want, but Nintendo is a smart corporation that turned a very gimmicky product into a worldwide hit with the Wii. I think they know a few things about business decisions.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaah?? Surely you understand that the business acumen of a bunch of people on the internet with high school diplomas are vastly superior to nintendo execs who've actually had to make business decisions. They've got their GEDs and they won't take shit from nobody! Good day to you, sir.

[quote name='Anachronox']It's always bizarre to me to witness consumers argue on the BEHALF of the company that's doing something either not in or against said consumers' own interests. There was a strange faction of people telling others NOT to be upset about the cuts from the Yakuza 3 localization too. Why tell people that have a passion for something or love something NOT to want their art to be the best that it can be? What point does it serve?

If a consumer complains about something a company is doing, the company may respond, or they may not. If the consumer DOES NOT complain what would the company even respond TO? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, people.

I support your fight, crusaders! And the argument that the localization is practically already done since it's being released in Europe makes PERFECT sense.[/QUOTE]

They are fucking sheep and should be banned from every website dedicated to VIDEO GAMES.

Don't like video games but like Kinect and Wii Music shit? Don't mess with my hobby, you piece of shit.

I saw you as one of the 6 nominees for worst CAG of the year. Didn't quite get why, but its starting to make sense now. Go for the bottom Confoosious! Your making good progress lately

Why? Because I have more than 3 brain cells?

You guys are starting to sound so ridiculous.

Nintendo is either a gaming company that supports its fans or a souless shit corporation?

Uh no... They are a gaming company that has the same charter as any other company: make money. Given that as the basis for everything that every single corporate entity does, all the means is that the release of this game would not have made enough money in their calculations. Even if they break even, they are taking resources away from other development and other projects. Every single person working on this is not working on something else. You need to distribute this, market this, analyze sales of this. This isn't as easy as "press 100,000 copies from your UK edition with a new cover and you make money!"

They have absolutely no obligation to release a game simply to satisfy fans if it'll lose money or, simply not make enough money. Time and resources are not infinite. On the other hand, they also are not declining to release this because they hate you and hate their fans. It's a business decision based on a business calculation. Strictly business, nothing personal. So therefore, stop crying about it and taking it personally.

[quote name='confoosious']Why? Because I have more than 3 brain cells?

You guys are starting to sound so ridiculous.

Nintendo is either a gaming company that supports its fans or a souless shit corporation?

Uh no... They are a gaming company that has the same charter as any other company: make money. Given that as the basis for everything that every single corporate entity does, all the means is that the release of this game would not have made enough money in their calculations. Even if they break even, they are taking resources away from other development and other projects. Every single person working on this is not working on something else. You need to distribute this, market this, analyze sales of this. This isn't as easy as "press 100,000 copies from your UK edition with a new cover and you make money!"

They have absolutely no obligation to release a game simply to satisfy fans if it'll lose money or, simply not make enough money. On the other hand, they also are not declining to release this because they hate you and hate their fans. It's a business decision based on a business calculation. Strictly business, nothing personal. So therefore, stop crying about it and taking it personally.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I wonder why Atlus, NISA and Xseed cater to their fans while also making money?

What's that? Nintendo can't do that? Because it is run by this fuckwad-

2482110118_a7e1ae8bd5.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']Because Atlas, Xseed and NISA have a completely different target market and a completely different business model.[/QUOTE]

And Reggie's predecessor operated the company competently to the point that fans weren't pissed off. Reggie only got his current job title due to reverse-discrimination.

[quote name='Xenogears']I can fully understand why a soulless and shit corporation that I do not support might choose not to release these games. But not a game company claiming to support its fans and gamers. So which is nintendo? A soulless shit corporation, or a game company supporting its fans and gamers?[/QUOTE]

Soulless shit corporation for sure! :lol: None of these companies are in it for the fans or fans alone, if those are the only two options you're giving us. It will always be about money to some extent. All of the "for the fans" stuff is good PR fluff.

We've seen the claiming it's for the fan routine plenty of times before with Nintendo. Zelda soundtrack? Mario All Stars? 20th Anniversary GBA Micro? Just to name a few.

[quote name='Vortextk']It doesn't even need to be fucking marketed(check) at this point. I take it you don't realize the thousand upon thousands of comments on twitter, facebook, ign, gamefaqs, here(and more) and atleast a dozen articles and interviews about this on all sorts of game sites yet that has happened in what, less than a week from "starting"?
We agree it's not free to ship or package(check) but apparently we do disagree that packaging and shipping a game to retailers, something that has happened a billions times in the US if we talk about single units of games, is going to cost anywhere near even a conservative 100-200k copies sold in the US of a game with absolutely no development and if they so choose no localization costs. [/quote]

You are very much overestimating the marketing/consumer-intent and underestimating the retailers willingness to sell if you think Internet outcry is a suitable replacement for marketing and selling to resellers.

Having said that, they could pull off what they did with Electroplankton: just sell the game as a store.nintendo.com exclusive. Maybe Operation Rainfall should be adjusted for this objective instead? Just putting an idea out there. This would at least be a solution to distribution/resale.

"Yo atlus, we got this game with good reviews, ok sales and a great pedigree. We translated it over into english, gave it an english cast, but feeling kind of lazy. If you pay to make and ship the discs and do your own marketing, you can have all the profits, what do you say?"

This is basically what has happened, except it has stayed within the same company.

I know your point wasn't completely about a third party localizing it, but...

I'm sure Atlus or whoever else specializes in localization and publishing would/could pick it up... But we are talking about Nintendo being the original publishers and owning the controlling interest in Monolith. I'm all ears if there was a time where a Nintendo game got published by someone else for another market. (And we're talking about recent memory. CD-i games need not apply.) I wouldn't completely discount this idea as impossible, but I might bet on a localization waiting to be announced later in the year by Nintendo than this.

Anyways, I'm betting on a localization at some point. All of you people saying "fuck Nintendo," "fuck this," or "fuck that" will run right back into Nintendo's arm when/if the games are announced and be gleeful like a little schoolgirl.

[quote name='imacgod']I'm all ears if there was a time where a Nintendo game got published by someone else for another market. (And we're talking about recent memory. CD-i games need not apply.) I wouldn't completely discount this idea as impossible, but I might bet on a localization waiting to be announced later in the year by Nintendo than this.[/QUOTE]

256px-Cubivorebox.jpg

929333_69019_front.jpg

It has nothing to do with who published it or who developed it. It's the IP rights holder that is important. And Nintendo owns the IP rights to these games, yet they were both published by Atlus. There are a couple more that I can't think of at the top of my head.

Also, to add to the confusion, Sony was willing to license out publishing duties for these two games to 3rd party publishers for the American audience-

954345_125120_front.jpg

White_Knight_Chronicles_2_box.png

Xenoblade/The Last Story/Pandora's Tower could potentially have a similar situation to White Knight Chronicles 2, in which the original 1st party publisher abandoned it for the North American market, but licensed it out to a known 3rd party publisher (D3 is technically Namco-Bandai, who also published Demon's Souls for Europe). Dark Souls, the "spiritual sequel" to Demon's Souls, is a clusterfuck of a mess to explain, but it came about due to the reluctance of SCEA wanting to publish Demon's Souls.

And Microsoft did a similar thing for their own IPs-

954476_114156_front.jpg

935661_96017_front.jpg

Yes, both of those Japanese-centric games are owned by Microsoft but published by 3rd parties for North America.

Let me get this straight. Some first party IP's have been published by third parties recently. So why are acting like this over just because NOA has no plans currently? (And again this isn't even Nintendo acknowledging this isn't happening at all.) I know Nintendo is probably not going to sell rights easily, but wouldn't Atlus be a better party to contact? They would have actual clout and allowed to actually talk to Nintendo and bargain with them.

All I got from this thread and the news I've read so far was this is done and game over. Seems like there's still some options to exercise.

[quote name='Jawmuncher']I recall Atlus and others tried to get them and Nintendo said no[/QUOTE]

Links? I checked Atlus's message boards, and didn't see anything of the sort.

[quote name='imacgod']Let me get this straight. Some first party IP's have been published by third parties recently. So why are acting like this over just because NOA has no plans currently? (And again this isn't even Nintendo acknowledging this isn't happening at all.) I know Nintendo is probably not going to sell rights easily, but wouldn't Atlus be a better party to contact? They would have actual clout and allowed to actually talk to Nintendo and bargain with them.

All I got from this thread and the news I've read so far was this is done and game over. Seems like there's still some options to exercise.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should bombard Atlus instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back