Monoprice.com - Need HDMI, Optical Audio, Component, or Other Cables, Get Them Here

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I know a lot of you are probably aware of this place, but I just thought I would post this since I did not find a topic.

monoprice.com has long been known as the cheapest place to buy USB, Network, HDMI, and many other cables, period.

Their service is excellent as well.

Our business just ordered another round of Network and USB cables and saved close to $1000 compared to retail stores like Best Buy, etc.

We have had Network cables from monoprice throughout our building for a few years and have had NO ISSUES at all. Most of the cables in my home (S-Video, HDMI, USB, CAT5e, etc. are also from monoprice and they have been perfect.

The Quality of the cables I have bought has been as good or in many cases, much better than more expensive cables elsewhere.

I know there are other online retailers like Firefold that sell for similar prices, but I have not found their service to be near as good as monoprice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='decrot']They got cables for $150+
I know that the price isn't justified
but youre telling me no difference at all?[/QUOTE]

None and you shouldn't even be worrying about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='decrot']They got cables for $150+
I know that the price isn't justified
but youre telling me no difference at all?[/QUOTE]
The only difference might be in the weight of the cable - I hear Monster cables are very thick and heavy (probably mostly to give the appearance of being very 'solid') - I have heard that this extra weight is often detrimental since it makes connecting it harder to do. Other than that, a digital signal is the same no matter what - either it's received or it's not.

Every time I need to buy an HDMI cable, which seems to occur more often than it should, I use monoprice.com.

Also, instead of buying 1, I usually order 3 to save on shipping. I don't use all of them myself, but friends need them, and I charge them $5 for them and somehow make a profit.

Monoprice is definitely the way to go.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Also, instead of buying 1, I usually order 3 to save on shipping.[/QUOTE]
That's what I do too. I'm currently trying to fix my brothers computer (needed a new PSU), and it has only VGA out - well I've been running DVI for quite a while and had no VGA cable. So I dropped by Monoprice and bought a vga cable, another dvi cable, a vga=>dvi adapter, some ethernet cables and some usb cables. I'm always needing something like that, so it's best to just throw em in the order - they're really cheap on everything.

its nice to know that alot of customers are pleased with monoprice. I've been working there for sometime now and i have to say the push us to get all those orders out (THE SAME DAY LOL)

The HDMI cable I ordered has so far been great. I was having issues with my PS3 where there would be static and crackling pop noises from the video, but ever since I replaced the cable there's been no issues whatsoever.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']The HDMI cable I ordered has so far been great. I was having issues with my PS3 where there would be static and crackling pop noises from the video, but ever since I replaced the cable there's been no issues whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Only really shitty or exceptionally long low-quality (30 m) HDMI cables cause the snowy and static problems. Where did you get your first cable from?

I recently picked up a PS3 and I ordered all of the cables I needed from Monoprice. I got a 6 ft. HDMI cable, 6 ft. Toslink cable, 25 ft. CAT6 cable, and 10 ft. USB extension cable for $13 + shipping.

The shipping was fast and the cables work great. I will definitely be going with Monoprice for all of my future cabling needs.

I've ordered all of the following types of cables from them:

HDMI cables
RCA component cable
RCA composite cables
S-Video cables
TOSLink optical cables
Speaker wire
Banana plugs for speaker wire
USB cables
Ethernet cables
USB extension cables
AC power cables
AC power extension cables

All of them have been solid cables with no issues at all. Shipping has always been reasonably priced and quick. I've been buying from them for years and will keep doing so for years more.

Does anyone know the best HDMI Cable for a Panasonic 720 Plasma for a PS3 or is the system the best?

[quote name='kinga']Does anyone know the best HDMI Cable for a Panasonic 720 Plasma for a PS3 or is the system the best?[/QUOTE]

HDMI cables are Digital, you either get the signal or you dont.....stay away from Monster, unless you like paying a premium for the name :)

That's why I love the 10ft. cables I got for $4 and $1 from Fry's funny since they were pushing the overpriced ones out in the open while the ones I got were in the back with the generic "cables" section.

[quote name='kinga']Call me crazy but I thought some are better then others?[/QUOTE]
You're crazy ;) AKAIK, the only difference is in the way the cable itself is made (I've heard Monster's are really heavy-duty seaming, and this actually makes the cable hard to keep in the slot. Although it seems to me that would depend more on gauge than cable manufacturer).

Anyway, a cheap $5 cable is as good as a $400 cable, as hard as that is to believe. It's either signal or no signal. I've got at least 3 HDMI cables from Monoprice and they're awesome.

[quote name='kinga']Call me crazy but I thought some are better then others?[/QUOTE]

When its Analog it makes a difference (but Monoprices are fantastic), digital not at all.

I have ordered cables/switches from Monoprice for years and all of their items are top notch

[quote name='The McMuffin Fanboy']I can't find any 1.3b category 2 cables for my 1080p, how cheap should they be?[/QUOTE]

What devices are you hooking up to that TV? For instance, a 360 doesn't utilize the 1.3 HDMI so that would be a waste.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Anyway, a cheap $5 cable is as good as a $400 cable, as hard as that is to believe. It's either signal or no signal. I've got at least 3 HDMI cables from Monoprice and they're awesome.[/QUOTE]

That's true, up to a point. There can be some signal degradation/artifacting on the cheaper cables if they're run more than about 15 feet. If you need a longer cable, Monster ones actually are quite good, and you can find them pretty cheaply on eBay.

Since most people I know use HDMI cables of no more than 10 feet, Monoprice is the absolute best for the money.

Which one would you guys recommend from monoprice for a PS3? Dont need anything long, just the best one for a good value. Don't know which one to get :(

Over the last few years I've ordered all kinds of stuff, even a $1.25 iphone case- who knew they sold those? Not me. Everything has been excellent, insanely low priced and arrived faster than thought imaginable.

[quote name='saturnotaku']That's true, up to a point. There can be some signal degradation/artifacting on the cheaper cables if they're run more than about 15 feet. If you need a longer cable, Monster ones actually are quite good, and you can find them pretty cheaply on eBay.

Since most people I know use HDMI cables of no more than 10 feet, Monoprice is the absolute best for the money.[/QUOTE]
It is my understanding that up to 50' you're usually okay, and as far as cheap ebay monster cables, a quick search yielded lots of 8' cables for about $25, and a 50' for $90... I guess if I really search I might be able to find something, but monoprice has a 50' cable for about $40... that's a big price difference. I guess if you can find monsters in the $50 range on ebay you might as well buy them, but if a 6' monoprice cable yields good results, wouldn't a 50' do the same? As far as build quality, I would imagine it's all made the same way.

Found this other forum thread through google, with a few people speaking of the 50' monoprice cables they bought. If I ever run a lot of longer cable I might give ebay a shot, but I'm not paying over double what I can at monoprice if it comes down to it.

Anyone know what the difference is between Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Male to Male Cables and Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables?

I copied and pasted the wording directly from the website...

Thanks!

[quote name='shrike4242']If you're doing a short cable run, it won't make any difference between the cables.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure--were you referring to my questions about the difference between regular and category 2 certified cables, or to someone else's question about the difference between generic and Monster cables?

Thanks.

I asked this question elsewhere , but didn't really get a solid answer.

2 questions for anyone that can answer them. I'm pretty sure I know the answers already , but I'm just double checking before I go ordering any cables off of monoprice.

1)The highest quality video output cables that each of these systems can use is:
PS2 and Wii : Component
360 and PS3 : HDMI

2)Generally any kind of the above cables will work just fine for the systems. No special or system specific cables are needed.

Would the above be correct or not?

No, the PS2 and Wii have a proprietary connector that connects to the system. So you need to get a PS2 or PS3 component cable for the PS2 and a Wii component cable for the Wii, not just any set of component cables will work for those two systems.

You are correct about the PS3/360 though in regards to an HDMI connection, however. And yes those cable types are the best quality for each system.

Here are the links:

PS2 component: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083003&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=2

Wii component: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

360/PS3 HDMI (only difference is length/color): http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008

[quote name='StarKnightX']That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you good sir.:D Now I can make my games not look quite so weak on my new TV.[/QUOTE]

Oh ya, it will make a big difference. The PS2 will still probably look a little bad--in fact, worse than it does on a standard def set--but the 360 and PS3 in HD will look outstanding.

[quote name='Achilles00']Anyone know what the difference is between Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Male to Male Cables and Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables?

I copied and pasted the wording directly from the website...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think LP might have been responding to you, but here is what I found at Wikipedia regarding the Cat 2 spec:

[quote name='wikipedia']
Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (1080i/720p), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (1600p).[59] Category 1 HDMI cables are to be marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High-Speed".
A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft.) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[58] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft.).[58] The HDMI website has stated that many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but cautions that only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[62]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface#cite_note-66
[/quote]

I believe in short runs it won't matter, but longer runs over 15ft, you might want Cat2. I think that's the difference.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I think LP might have been responding to you, but here is what I found at Wikipedia regarding the Cat 2 spec:

I believe in short runs it won't matter, but longer runs over 15ft, you might want Cat2. I think that's the difference.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I appreciate the input.

For my PS3/360... is their Component just as good as HDMI? If not, is it dramatically imrpoved? I have a Sony Bravia 1080P 40' HDTV.

Thanks!

For my PS3/360... is their Component wires just as good as HDMI? If not, is it the difference dramatic?

Also, I read on this thread that any HDMI cable will work fine, BUT what about an optical TOSLink cable?

Could I plug my PS3/Xbox360/5.1 Sony Bravia Theatre via HDMI to my television, and then from my television use an Optical TOSLink cable to the receiver?

Thanks!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']For my PS3/360... is their Component wires just as good as HDMI? If not, is it the difference dramatic?

Also, I read on this thread that any HDMI cable will work fine, BUT what about an optical TOSLink cable?

Could I plug my PS3/Xbox360/5.1 Sony Bravia Theatre via HDMI to my television, and then from my television use an Optical TOSLink cable to the receiver?

Thanks![/QUOTE]HDMI is digital, component is analog. Plus, to get 5.1 sound from component, you need a TOSLink cable as well as the component cables.

I'm guessing you don't have HDMI inputs into your receiver, if you have to run an optical cable to your receiver and not just an HDMI cable.

Yes, you can run it as you want, you just have to tell the PS3 to run the audio through the TOSLink cable and not the HDMI cable. It's in the sound settings somewhere.

For what you'd see on-screen, component and HDMI for video are pretty close, though for easy cabling, I'd always go HDMI.

[quote name='shrike4242']HDMI is digital, component is analog. Plus, to get 5.1 sound from component, you need a TOSLink cable as well as the component cables.[/QUOTE]

I know that if I used component, I would need an optical TOSLink cable. HDMI is basically an all-in-one wire. Even when using it, I can still use my 5.1 system?

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm guessing you don't have HDMI inputs into your receiver, if you have to run an optical cable to your receiver and not just an HDMI cable.[/QUOTE]

My receiver is the Sony Bravia Theatre DAV-HDX678 (I just purchased it off of Sony Style, and I have yet to receive it. I just want to get everything ready so when it arrives, I can set it up properly.).

These are the inputs/outputs:
  • Analog Audio Input(s) : 2 (Rear)
  • Coaxial Audio Digital Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Digital Media Port (Input) : Yes
  • HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1
  • Headphone Input(s) : 1 (Rear) 3.5mm
  • Optical Audio Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
If it helps, my television is a Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100.

[quote name='shrike4242']Yes, you can run it as you want, you just have to tell the PS3 to run the audio through the TOSLink cable and not the HDMI cable. It's in the sound settings somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this way ideal though? It makes my TV like a switcher, so I do not need another divice. Also, I can seperate the sound from the divice from the HDMI to use it with my 5.1 surround sound.. right?

[quote name='shrike4242']For what you'd see on-screen, component and HDMI for video are pretty close, though for easy cabling, I'd always go HDMI.[/QUOTE]

I would love to use HDMI, because my HDTV has 3 ports, while it only has two component. For the two component, I would like to have both my PS2 and Wii connected.

My ideal situation:
  • Wii via component (red and white audio will be connected into the receiver.)
  • PS2 via component (red and white audio will be connected into the receiver.)
  • PS3 via HDMI (HDMI goes into the tv, and the hdtv has an optical wire going to the receiver.) The sound settings will be altared.
  • Xbox360 via HDMI (HDMI goes into the tv, and the hdtv has an optical wire going to the receiver.) Does a sound setting have to be altared?
  • Receiver via HDMI (it has a built in dvd player, and when connected with HDMI, forms a bravia sync.)
I am not sure if you understand what I am getting at, because I am not sure if I am explaining it properly. I know what I want to happen, but I am not sure if it is possible. If you could let me know if I am right, or wrong- that would be great. If I am wrong, could you try to help me find a solution?

I appreciate it very much!

Thanks!!
Sean

I just got a new TV, and put my old HDTV (720p) into the bedroom where the PS2 is. Would component cables really make a difference? :whistle2:s

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Isn't this way ideal though? It makes my TV like a switcher, so I do not need another divice. Also, I can seperate the sound from the divice from the HDMI to use it with my 5.1 surround sound.. right?[/QUOTE]

The optical out on your TV will only give you stereo.

[quote name='Samstag']The optical out on your TV will only give you stereo.[/QUOTE]I know that's the case for my TV, though I would think it's a safe bet, since the TV itself is only stereo, why would it put out 5.1?

[quote name='Samstag']The optical out on your TV will only give you stereo.[/QUOTE]

Ugh.

How can I use an HDMI cable with my Xbox 360 and PS3, and get 5.1 as well?

Could I use HDMI for both, and plug it into my television, AND get two seperate optical TOSlink cables, and have both the Xbox 360 and PS3 in a switch, that goes to the receiver (via a optical TOSlink as well)?

I would love to figure this out before my surround sound system arrives, so I can order the proper wires needed.

[quote name='shrike4242']I know that's the case for my TV, though I would think it's a safe bet, since the TV itself is only stereo, why would it put out 5.1?[/QUOTE]

Even if the HDMI wires from the Xbox 360 and PS3 go into the HDTV, the HDTV can't seperate the signal and send it over the the receiver via optical TOSLink?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Even if the HDMI wires from the Xbox 360 and PS3 go into the HDTV, the HDTV can't seperate the signal and send it over the the receiver via optical TOSLink?[/QUOTE]You have one HDMI input and one optical input on your Sony home-theatre-in-a-box, which is the only way you're going to get 5.1 surround sound source into that device.

If you feed it into your TV, the TV will only know how to handle 2.0 stereo sound, so it'll only output 2.0 stereo sound, regardless of the source.

The only way you'd be able to get this to work would be to use a HDMI switcher and a component switcher. You'd connect the PS3 and 360 into the HDMI switcher and then from the HDMI switcher into the HTIB. You'd connect the PS2 and the Wii into the component switcher and from the component switcher to the HTIB.

The only other way to do it is to use a optical switcher that also has RCA plugs, then plug all the video outputs from the consoles into the TV and then run all the audio (optical from PS3, 360 and PS2; stereo RCA from the Wii) into the HTIB.

Getting that HTIB was a real mistake, since it only has one HDMI input, one component input and one optical input. If it had two of each, you could feed everything into it and you wouldn't have an issue.

bread's done
Back