Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Demo

Nealocus123

That's Vagtastic!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Anyone else download this for the WiiU today?

This was my first time playing a MH game and it was a little frustrating to say the least. There's absolutely no tutorial so it took me awhile to figure out the controls (which I still don't understand), and since I chose the "bow" option I never even ended up killing the monster. I must have shot him dozens and dozens of times and towards the end of my 20min he was struggling to move but still never actually died.

Anyone ever played a MH game before? Care to explain the general mechanics of the game? Objectives and such. Thanks.

R was run / block with your weapon out, X and A were attack, Y was to put away your weapon (to run / get materials from monsters) and finally B was dodge. L could also be used to switch items, so you can use one to resharpen your weapon, get back life, etc. Thats the gist, though it takes some getting use to.

Also here is my poor run though of the easy boss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5yTwIETcs

Not the best gameplay ever (or even good), but still a good idea of what to expect.

I suggest trying out the different weapons and see which ones you are most comfortable with. Start with the smaller monsters and try killing them first/getting used to movement.

I can see the demo being frustrating for some as the retail game isn't really designed to fight the boss monsters right off the bat (at least for newcomers).

Usually they start you out with a couple fetch quest missions, small monster kills to get you accustomed to the controls and then throw a big boss mission your way.

I'm personally a fan of the long sword and great sword but I think the sword and shield is a great starter weapon for newcomers.

Like I said before try practicing on the smaller monsters by attacking, rolling, blocking (some weapons like the long sword cannot block thus rolling is the better option) and running. For most weapons running can only be done while the weapon is sheathed so get in the habit of sheathing your weapon after you strike.

Good luck, the learning curve might be a little challenging especially if it's your first MH game but it really is fun once you get used to the controls.

I had the same experience as the OP. The classes were explained, I picked the "easy" quest and that was it. I looked at the digital manual (hit Home, poke Manual) since I had similar problems with the 90 buttons in Arkham City.

It's just a bad demo. No idea who the little dudes are. The map is tiny and nearly useless. Apparently my item pouch is full of all kinds of medicine. Found that out after being murdered by a bunny. Oh and there's a time limit.

The last good demo I played was Fire Emblem. Threw you into the action but paused to tell you how to play. Etrian Odyssey was the opposite. Too much time picking names and adding skills before wandering around & getting killed by a baboon. All 3 games are established franchises - not much point of aiming a demo at the diehard day one buyers.

Downloading today while desperately hoping the nyko Wii U battery booster pack thing is gonna be featured on some accessories sale in the not too distant future. I need my Wii U full-time yo!

I agree 100%, terrible demo. It was actually laughable how bad this way. Nothing was explained, no rhyme or reason behind anything. Do monsters have life bars, who knows. Everything was just poorly constructed and nothing made sense.

A demo should suck you into the game not do the opposite. Looks like I won't be purchasing this at launch. I was so looking forward to this too.

I mentioned this before, but this is a great demo for someone like me who has played the series before, but terrible for people new to the series. They just throw you in and don't make any mention of the customization or the mining/fishing/bug catching, then there's no reason to do the carving in the demo since you don't keep it but in the main game you can use the stuff you get to craft items and new weapons or armors. The intro in the real game will be a lot more friendly but at the same time in order to find out you would have to otherwise rent or purchase it when it comes out, which shouldn't be the case with the demo but it seems like they released this for people who are already fans for some reason.

This game is not a hack and slash/Zelda dungeon boss game. No Zelda like lock on in order to position the player at odd angles in order to break off appendages to collect for gear.

It's more like a free roam Punch-Out.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']I agree 100%, terrible demo. It was actually laughable how bad this way. Nothing was explained, no rhyme or reason behind anything. Do monsters have life bars, who knows. Everything was just poorly constructed and nothing made sense.

A demo should suck you into the game not do the opposite. Looks like I won't be purchasing this at launch. I was so looking forward to this too.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I was so looking forward to the demo and the game and... it sucked. I had no idea what I was doing or what was going on. I don't think I'll be getting this game.

I never played before and found myself very interested. If I understand correctly the 3DS can play local co-op with WiiU correct? I am pre-ordering the WiiU/3DS, $20 off if you order both. I am looking forward to getting into this series.

A proper Monster Hunter demo should give you the entire first area and 3 missions to do (2 resource gathering, 1 monster hunt) on a time limit.

I will grab it eventually. My major problem with the demo was simply not displaying a fucking dialog with the controls.

Other than that, had a great time.

This demo sucks at trying to introduce you to the game. Once you start figuring it out though it is fun. It is a shame to see how a bad demo can convince folks to cancel their preorders.

Still going to pick it up since it's Monster Hunter and I need to represent as a Gunner (Status Bullets FTW). fuck Capcom for shitting the bed and turning away newbies with the god awful demo though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']3DS demo was fucking awful for the same reasons described here. Not surprised being that it's Capcom and all.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for effect. I was excited to try this last night on the 3DS and got murdered by 'roid bunny. Spent 100% of my time trying to get the camera turned, only to be bunny whacked once again.

Were you tapping L to switch camera angle to where you're facing? After a few tries I managed to kill the bunny using the dual dagger lady.

[quote name='ProfWho']This demo sucks at trying to introduce you to the game. Once you start figuring it out though it is fun. It is a shame to see how a bad demo can convince folks to cancel their preorders.[/QUOTE]

Vague demo instructions aside, if people suck ass that much that they would cancel their pre orders because theyre too lazy to try to at least attempt to learn they probably weren't interested in the game in the first place.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Games are not supposed to be work. A learning curve is a disadvantage. The demo should increase their interest in the game.[/QUOTE]

Preferences are not universal... some people like to work at things, I mean that is the WHOLE basis for Demon / Dark Souls being successful.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Quoted for effect. I was excited to try this last night on the 3DS and got murdered by 'roid bunny. Spent 100% of my time trying to get the camera turned, only to be bunny whacked once again.[/QUOTE]

All this talk of a killer bunny reminds me of the bit in Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw

Yeah, Monster Hunter is a challenging game to play but satisfying once you get the hang of it. Doesn't mean it isn't cheap at times with the monster attacks. Basically learn the pattern and wait for an opening to attack or heal or get better weapon/armor and try again.

Thanks to whoever told me to use double blades on the rabbit and plan my attacks. This was actually really fun once I figured out most of the buttons

bread's done
Back