Monster Hunter Tri - $44.99 at GameStop & Amazon

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76127

Note: GameStop is no longer taking pre-orders for the CCP bundle.
Bonus: 500 Wii Points for pre-ordering at GameStop.
Amazon has the bundle for $59.99 and are offering a $10 video games credit.

If you're planning on getting MH3, it is HIGHLY recommended that you play it using the CCP and NOT the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. I think Nintendo will sell the CCP separately for $19.99. This is a great deal.

Also, the game is confirmed to be FREE to play online! :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='donssword']My son discovered "traps," the joys of the switch axe, and made his first kill.

Looks like I found my split screen co-op partner.

What is the online community like? Do they trend older?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that split screen is only for arena play, correct? I have read this on a few forums and I find it a bit disappointing that several games have gone this route lately.

[quote name='donny2112']I asked Capcom about the MH3 demo, too, and they said to report any GameStop requiring a preorder to receive the demo by Store# and address.

[/QUOTE]
Let the hunt begin!
/bugle

Ugh, finally got around to trying the demo, and didn't enjoy it at all. Too much running around from one area to another not doing anything. Way too many loading screens. Monotonously dull graphics. Mechanics that seemed to favor button mashing over any kind of real strategy.

I dunno, maybe there will be more to the actual game. Until I see proof of that, though, I think I'm just going to sit this one out.

Oh well, saves me the $49 that my preorder would have cost, anyway . . .

Ugh, finally got around to trying the demo, and didn't enjoy it at all. Too much running around from one area to another not doing anything. Way too many loading screens. Monotonously dull graphics. Mechanics that seemed to favor button mashing over any kind of real strategy.

I dunno, maybe there will be more to the actual game. Until I see proof of that, though, I think I'm just going to sit this one out.

Oh well, saves me the $49 that my preorder would have cost, anyway . . .

[quote name='arcane93']Ugh, finally got around to trying the demo, and didn't enjoy it at all. Too much running around from one area to another not doing anything. Way too many loading screens. Monotonously dull graphics. Mechanics that seemed to favor button mashing over any kind of real strategy.

Oh well, saves me the $49 that my preorder would have cost, anyway . . .[/QUOTE]
You can do more than just run around in the areas, you can gather materials, catch bugs, fish, etc. (no point in doing these in the demo, full game yes). The loading screens are only about 2 seconds long and shows you the map really quick, are you that impatient? This game also does not favor button mashing. The two main monster hunts in the demo are the easiest in the game, button mashing against the later monsters is asking yourself to get killed.

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']You can do more than just run around in the areas, you can gather materials, catch bugs, fish, etc. (no point in doing these in the demo, full game yes). The loading screens are only about 2 seconds long and shows you the map really quick, are you that impatient? This game also does not favor button mashing. The two main monster hunts in the demo are the easiest in the game, button mashing against the later monsters is asking yourself to get killed.[/QUOTE]

1. There might not be a "point" to doing those things in the demo, but my purpose in playing the demo is to experience the game. I want the demo to show me what those things are like, so that I know if I actually enjoy doing them or not. Because if they're just a chore (as all of those things that you list could be, if they're not handled well), and don't add any enjoyment to the game, then I'm not interested in them.

2. It's not a matter of "impatience". Those load screens completely kill any sort of immersion in the game that I might have otherwise. Every time they come up, it's a jarring removal from what I'm doing. I don't care about the time, I care about the break in the experience. I mean, come on, in this day and age, has Capcom never heard of the concept of pre-loading? An occasional load screen is ok, but every 20 seconds or so is just way too much.

3. The game may not favor button mashing, but I didn't see any strategy in the demo. Maybe it's a difference in using a regular classic controller rather than a classic controller pro; maybe it's that the instructions provided were for the wiimote/nunchuck combo, so on the classic controller I had no idea what buttons actually did what; maybe it's the particular monsters they chose to present in the demo; maybe it's my lack of experience with the game. One way or the other, I didn't feel particularly in control of what was going on in the battles.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the game, I'm saying why I don't think I'm interested in it. If it's your thing, go for it.

Have you even played a Monster Hunter game before? I saw you noted MHFU up above but that game has the same load times as this. They might be even longer lol. And it only seems like you are button mashing because the armor and weapons they give you are way too powerful for these monsters. Try it when the real game comes out and you'll get destroyed.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']Have you even played a Monster Hunter game before? I saw you noted MHFU up above but that game has the same load times as this.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just expect it more on a portable system, whereas I expect things to be handled more smoothly on a console. Maybe it's because I don't expect portable games to be as immersive anyway. I don't want to have the same experience on a console that I have on a portable system, I want it to be a clear upgrade. Dunno -- all I can say is that I didn't mind it as much on there as I do on this.

That being said, to be honest, I don't play MHFU that much either. It's ok, but I've got too many other games that I'd rather play. I had hoped that I'd find this more engaging, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Anyway, no offense, but I don't feel the need to justify my choices any further. If you like the game, great, have fun. I'm moving on.

[quote name='arcane93']1. There might not be a "point" to doing those things in the demo, but my purpose in playing the demo is to experience the game. I want the demo to show me what those things are like, so that I know if I actually enjoy doing them or not. Because if they're just a chore (as all of those things that you list could be, if they're not handled well), and don't add any enjoyment to the game, then I'm not interested in them.

2. It's not a matter of "impatience". Those load screens completely kill any sort of immersion in the game that I might have otherwise. Every time they come up, it's a jarring removal from what I'm doing. I don't care about the time, I care about the break in the experience. I mean, come on, in this day and age, has Capcom never heard of the concept of pre-loading? An occasional load screen is ok, but every 20 seconds or so is just way too much.

3. The game may not favor button mashing, but I didn't see any strategy in the demo. Maybe it's a difference in using a regular classic controller rather than a classic controller pro; maybe it's that the instructions provided were for the wiimote/nunchuck combo, so on the classic controller I had no idea what buttons actually did what; maybe it's the particular monsters they chose to present in the demo; maybe it's my lack of experience with the game. One way or the other, I didn't feel particularly in control of what was going on in the battles.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the game, I'm saying why I don't think I'm interested in it. If it's your thing, go for it.[/QUOTE]

Personally from what I have read and heard about this game. The demo itself was actually poorly done. There was little to no information on the full game at all in the actual demo. If i didn't have a friend really telling me wha t agrea game these are; I would not buy it based off my experience with the demo.

I just thought since now that I found this thread I'd post this here:

http://www.nintendogal.com/2010/03/16/dubious-gamestop-practices-or-monster-hunter-mix-up/

I'd love it if people could provide more data for the map I'm creating. I'm trying to keep the data to the comments on the article, but if you're extremely too lazy to do so I understand. Just know it makes my life easier if you wish to contribute. To contribute I need a store address and phone number (helps when google mapping) and whether or not you were able to procure a demo w/o a pre-order.

Thanks!

Hey NintendoGal,

Saw your post featured on GoNintendo. Love your initiative. Here is my contribution:

GameStop
8880 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77036
(713) 771-9971

GameStop
10100 BEECHNUT ST
Houston, TX 77072
(281) 879-0684

Both these stores would not give me a disc for free without a pre-order. The bottom one did eventually give me one after a long explanation, although clerk told me it was only for pre-orders only.

[quote name='NintendoGal']I just thought since now that I found this thread I'd post this here:

http://www.nintendogal.com/2010/03/16/dubious-gamestop-practices-or-monster-hunter-mix-up/

I'd love it if people could provide more data for the map I'm creating. I'm trying to keep the data to the comments on the article, but if you're extremely too lazy to do so I understand. Just know it makes my life easier if you wish to contribute. To contribute I need a store address and phone number (helps when google mapping) and whether or not you were able to procure a demo w/o a pre-order.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I was not able to get a demo from 2 of the local stores by me.

Game Stop 3801
(952) 346-0360
7909 Southtown Center
Bloomington, MN 55431

Game Stop 2429
(651) 452-7080
3344 Promenade Ave.
Eagan, MN 55121

Store 3801 showed me what he said is an e-mail from corporate that shows the different deals they have going and how to get them. The sheet said to get the demo you have to buy or pre-order a Wii game. I told him that is not what Capcom said, but he would not budge.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']I was not able to get a demo from 2 of the local stores by me.

Game Stop 3801
(952) 346-0360
7909 Southtown Center
Bloomington, MN 55431

Game Stop 2429
(651) 452-7080
3344 Promenade Ave.
Eagan, MN 55121

Store 3801 showed me what he said is an e-mail from corporate that shows the different deals they have going and how to get them. The sheet said to get the demo you have to buy or pre-order a Wii game. I told him that is not what Capcom said, but he would not budge.[/QUOTE]
If you don't mind driving a bit, the GS in the strip mall by Green Mill in Eden Prairie was giving discs away with no issues. Of course that could have changed since I got mine awhile ago (also I didn't check the GS in EP Mall).

So any current coupon codes I can use with this? Obviously "LUVNU" was a Valentine's day offer.

I see that "Value" can get me free shipping--but is there anything else out there floating about?

So here's my options:

Amazon: $49.99 (After existing $10 gaming Credit)
Receive New $10 Gaming Credit
Free Shipping

Gamestop $54.99
Receive 500 Free Wii Points & Collectible Card
Free Shipping

Amazon seems like the better deal just because of the $10 credit, unless someone has an extra Gamestop coupon they know of.

[quote name='maximumzero']So here's my options:

Amazon: $49.99 (After existing $10 gaming Credit)
Receive New $10 Gaming Credit
Free Shipping

Gamestop $54.99
Receive 500 Free Wii Points & Collectible Card
Free Shipping

Amazon seems like the better deal just because of the $10 credit, unless someone has an extra Gamestop coupon they know of.[/QUOTE]

I went with Gamestop because I want the game release day and not a couple of weeks Amazon will get it o me when they decide to ship it. You can pay for release day shipping but that cost will eat at your credit.

Now onto the Map:

Software Etc 1270
(541) 779-4997
1600 North Riverside Avenue
Medford, OR 97501

I was the first one to get the demo here and they asked each other, two gentleman behind the counter, if it was supposed to be just handed out and they both thought so so I received the demos free of charge. I am not convinced that these are all individual stores going rogue though so maybe it changed.

GameStop - Mall 0156
(941) 743-2807
1441 Tamiami Trail
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Gave me no problem while on vacation. When i tried to get one early they had no idea what it was. I came back 2 days later and they had their discs, and gave me one and were very informative about the game.

Thanks guys, added to the map!

Maddy, I put yours approximately where the address said since I couldn't get Google Maps to give me a dot for the specific location. Hope that's accurate. :)

Whoever is still in need of a demo, I've got two of them. First two to PM me their address will get it shipped to them at no cost. I'm cool like that, yo.

I just got my demo in the mail from Capcom (haven't had time to play it though). Now my dilemma is do I buy it from Gamestop for $54.99 with 500 Wii Points, or from Amazon.com for $59.99 with a $10 Game Credit?

Normally my decision would be an easy one. I can buy from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. However, if I'm able to buy $100 or more in total at Gamestop, I can use the 25% off coupon listed here at CAG. If only I could decide what else to buy with it if I went that route?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I just got my demo in the mail from Capcom (haven't had time to play it though). Now my dilemma is do I buy it from Gamestop for $54.99 with 500 Wii Points, or from Amazon.com for $59.99 with a $10 Game Credit?

Normally my decision would be an easy one. I can buy from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. However, if I'm able to buy $100 or more in total at Gamestop, I can use the 25% off coupon listed here at CAG. If only I could decide what else to buy with it if I went that route?[/QUOTE]

I also just got my demo from Capcom.

Personally I am gonna buy it from Amazon since I went to multiple Gamestop's and was unable to get a demo from them.

I have this already pre-ordered. how do you receive the 500 wii points? a code when it ships?

Thanks,

Corvuus

I got my demo game from Capcom earlier this week. I've already pre-ordered from Amazon, because I don't like doing business with Gamestop, I don't care if they're a few bucks cheaper.

The demo is disappointing, and IMHO, poorly done. You get immediately dumped off into two "defeat boss monsters" missions, with no instructions or hints on how to get started. There's no mention about crafting, fishing, harvesting, and there is no character creator available to experiment with. So no ingame tutorial (something I remember Monster Hunter PS2 having), and I really dislike the Wii remote controls. For me, Classic Controller is going to be a must. Also, you're limited to the two mission areas of the game, so no exploring the offline village or garden. This demo could be big turn off to people who have no experience with a Monster Hunter game.

[quote name='Spacepest']I got my demo game from Capcom earlier this week. I've already pre-ordered from Amazon, because I don't like doing business with Gamestop, I don't care if they're a few bucks cheaper.

The demo is disappointing, and IMHO, poorly done. You get immediately dumped off into two "defeat boss monsters" missions, with no instructions or hints on how to get started. There's no mention about crafting, fishing, harvesting, and there is no character creator available to experiment with. So no ingame tutorial (something I remember Monster Hunter PS2 having), and I really dislike the Wii remote controls. For me, Classic Controller is going to be a must. Also, you're limited to the two mission areas of the game, so no exploring the offline village or garden. This demo could be big turn off to people who have no experience with a Monster Hunter game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they didn't do the demo well at all. For a game that is trying to draw in more people, it wasn't a very good marketing effort at all. I haven't played an MH game before, but I am still going to give it a try.

[quote name='Nesrie']Yeah they didn't do the demo well at all.[/QUOTE]

I concur, though my son pounded that demo until he mastered it.

I'm hoping that the movie/game/IP "How to Train Your Dragon" generates some peripheral interest in this title for Capcom and Nintendo. If MH3 doesn't sell well, we'll have to endure another 12 months of "hardcore doesn't sell on the Wii" speeches from Publishing CEOs who just don't get "it."

I'm real curious about the pre-order volume for Gamestop. If they didn't generate pre-order interest, then they won't have used copies to sell, meaning they won't be supporting the title.

[quote name='donssword']I concur, though my son pounded that demo until he mastered it.

I'm hoping that the movie/game/IP "How to Train Your Dragon" generates some peripheral interest in this title for Capcom and Nintendo. If MH3 doesn't sell well, we'll have to endure another 12 months of "hardcore doesn't sell on the Wii" speeches from Publishing CEOs who just don't get "it."

I'm real curious about the pre-order volume for Gamestop. If they didn't generate pre-order interest, then they won't have used copies to sell, meaning they won't be supporting the title.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop pretty much did everything they could to destroy preodres by hoarding the weakass demos Capcom put out from people who might have even a marginal interest in this game. Hey, I know they are supposedly pulling out all of the steps with this, but the demo had very little instructions, almost nothing that said hey if you like this guess what's in the real game, and gamestops handling of the demo was awful.

I am with you though, i hate the third party/hardcore games don't sell either. Strip the wii edition of online play (ghostbusters), put out weak ports with marginal motion control (too many to list) and then make games that are so niche they only appeal to a small crowd to being with (rail shooters, madworld) and then claim games don't sell. give me a break.

I have the game pre-ordered but have had doubts about the game.

What finally convinced me to keep the pre-order were some vids that were posted (I think today) on the Nintendo Channel. If you're still having doubts, check them out. There are 5 vids which show more of the story mode of the game, along with some of the hunts.

Like others have said, the demo just doesn't do enough to demonstrate what the game is all about. At the very least, Capcom should have included these vids on the demo disk along with the two monster hunts.

[quote name='Nesrie']give me a break.[/QUOTE]

Yeah--no kidding.

I love me some light gun shooters, but EA classically "screwed the pooch" (as Fred Ward playing Gus Grissom in "The Right Stuff" said) by releasing Dead Space on the Wii as yet another on-rails shooter without any promotion. That is what killed Dead Space Extraction--not a lack of attachment by the casual users, not the hardcore who abandoned the Wii, not the glut of games--just EA is to blame for not supporting their own product with the advertising and marketing muscle they waste on Madden.

Its not "if you build it they will come" on the Wii.

I do think that Nintendo needs to lock the Wii platform down tighter against piracy, and that is a big part of the platform's problem too. Bit torrent downloads of "House of the Dead: Overkill" exceeded actual sales, and that is no one's fault other than Nintendo's.

Nintendo's Wii pricing model is a deal breaker as well. I think the average customer gets stung by one or two bad, overpriced mini game collections, and then just stops buying. Wii Sports "is" console selling title, and when you realize most of the games out there are just not to that quality, I think the average customer just gives up and sticks with what they already have.

Looks like Gamestop took the bundle down. I was just looking at it at work yesterday and put ordering it off until I had time today!

My buddy that works at Gamestop said that they stop taking orders on the bundle today. Im sure they will have plenty to sell after launch.

[quote name='rbarba4']I have the game pre-ordered but have had doubts about the game.

What finally convinced me to keep the pre-order were some vids that were posted (I think today) on the Nintendo Channel. If you're still having doubts, check them out. There are 5 vids which show more of the story mode of the game, along with some of the hunts.

Like others have said, the demo just doesn't do enough to demonstrate what the game is all about. At the very least, Capcom should have included these vids on the demo disk along with the two monster hunts.[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

What convinced me to pre-order was these two things:
1. I played the original Monster Hunter for PS2, offline mode only though. The servers were down by the time I got a copy, so I never got to experience multiplayer online mode for it.
2. The videos the Japanese players put up on Youtube, and the information leaked from the current JP players themselves (this series has a HUGE following in Japan). Some of the videos of the monster fights are brutal and fantastic. These are the kinds of videos that Capcom needs to put up to generate more American interest in the game.

[quote name='jcmeadows']My buddy that works at Gamestop said that they stop taking orders on the bundle today. Im sure they will have plenty to sell after launch.[/QUOTE]

... because gamestop can't get an order into the store in 2 weeks time? Seems pretty silly to take it off when everyone else is still selling it.

bread's done
Back