MONSTER SQUAD blu 8.00 at WalMart

ymmv. went yesterday just scoping the place out (hightstown nj) and they had pretty much nothing worth it.

But either way, Monster Squad...brings back memories :)

Yea, gotta say it hasn't aged too well ... but then, that's coming from someone who somehow missed out on it as a child and only recently tried watching it due to the "hype" surrounding it's re-release by fans. I missed out on Goonies too (I was more of an Indiana Jones / Star Wars kinda kid) but I think Goonies is a far better movie that has a similar feel to what this movie was trying to accomplish (obviously not the movie monster thing, but the group of kids taking on something or going on an adventure kinda vibe). So if you're a fan then by all means pick this up ... but as someone new to the movie, I felt like I wasted $5 on the DVD ... so it might be a rent if it's your first time seeing it.

[quote name='etcrane']Yea, gotta say it hasn't aged too well ... but then, that's coming from someone who somehow missed out on it as a child and only recently tried watching it due to the "hype" surrounding it's re-release by fans. I missed out on Goonies too (I was more of an Indiana Jones / Star Wars kinda kid) but I think Goonies is a far better movie that has a similar feel to what this movie was trying to accomplish (obviously not the movie monster thing, but the group of kids taking on something or going on an adventure kinda vibe). So if you're a fan then by all means pick this up ... but as someone new to the movie, I felt like I wasted $5 on the DVD ... so it might be a rent if it's your first time seeing it.[/QUOTE]

I feel the exact opposite way about Monster Squad and The Goonies. Of course, I know I'm in the minority...

I actually just finished watching this and was surprised how well it held up. It's not Ghostbusters or the Goonies (both of which are fairly undisputed classics), but it's a solid little flick. I did see it as a kid, so the nostalgia factor certainly helps (as does the sub-90 minute run time).

To each his own.
BTW, not a crazy video-phile or anything, but I found the transfer to be pretty frickin' sweet all things considered.
Even digging the new eco-case too.

bread's done
Back