More Craigslist Hilarity

[quote name='gothamcentral79']always be suspicious of sales where they just say "4 games" and don't list what they are.[/quote]

Mario, Mario, Mario and.... Mario?

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Because craigslist is a direct sale... and you don't have to deal with listing, waiting for auction to end, mailing, etc...

I'm guessing.[/quote]
[quote name='zionoverfire']Because ebay will cost him listing, final value and probably paypal fees.[/quote]
Well yeah, that's probably why he's listing it on CL.

The point is that if you choose to sell on CL, the eBay prices for those items become meaningless. When you list on eBay, you're advertising it to the entire world. When somebody in Ohio searches for "NES", or when somebody in Zimbabwe searches for "NES", they'll both get your listing. That's why you pay the fees and go through all of the hassle, and it's also why items sell for higher prices.

People want all of the positives of eBay without dealing with any of the negatives, and that's what makes listings like these so insulting. If I'm on CL, I'm on to find deals for less than can be found on eBay. Because newsflash: I can use eBay too! And if I can just buy online and not have to meet the seller in person, and pay the same price for this convenience, then why should I buy from some overpriced guy on CL?

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']How's that hilarious? Last time I checked, Craigslist was used to sell things...[/QUOTE]

Call me cheap, but asking $80 for an NES is hilarious.

I took a hiatus from searching craigslist partly because of listings just like these. I became so obverly disgusted at the ridiculous prices ("Rare SNES w/ Super Mario World difficult to find a working one! $120!") that I couldn't even look anymore. And when they compare to "ebay prices", that's the worse.

Now that yardsaling season is coming up, I've resumed my searching with gritted teeth.

Even with all the ripoff sellers, every now and then you hit on a gem.

[quote name='moiety']I took a hiatus from searching craigslist partly because of listings just like these. I became so obverly disgusted at the ridiculous prices ("Rare SNES w/ Super Mario World difficult to find a working one! $120!") that I couldn't even look anymore. And when they compare to "ebay prices", that's the worse.

Now that yardsaling season is coming up, I've resumed my searching with gritted teeth.

Even with all the ripoff sellers, every now and then you hit on a gem.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I still look on Craigslist. Most of it is pure crap, but you find that one person who is sane and gives good prices for their items.

Actually, $80 for a complete, boxed NES isn't a horrible price. I've seen them sell much higher...really depends on the condition and what games he's including. There's no rule that says Craigslist prices should be cheaper than Ebay prices. In fact, Ebay is probably the last place I'd sell something if I wanted to get top value for it. First I'd try to sell it on various game trading sites and maybe half.com or Craigs List, since you can set your own price. Once it goes to auction, it's a crap shoot on what the ending value will be. One day an item might sell for $100 and the next day the exact same item sells for $50 because the right people aren't home to bid on it that day.

Now my local Craigslist is usually worth a laugh...there was some one on there selling a loose NES with a few games for $500 recently...and people are still trying to get $500 for a Wii and $1,000 for a PS3.

[quote name='moiety']I took a hiatus from searching craigslist partly because of listings just like these. I became so obverly disgusted at the ridiculous prices ("Rare SNES w/ Super Mario World difficult to find a working one! $120!") that I couldn't even look anymore. And when they compare to "ebay prices", that's the worse.

Even with all the ripoff sellers, every now and then you hit on a gem.[/quote]

I don't know about other places, but I know around here, eBay has pretty much irreperably killed the Flea Market / Tag Sales around here. People don't even price their stuff sensibly, and when you question some of the rediculous prices, most people just reply with "well this thing is worth such and such on eBay, so this is a bargain!" Well, if it's worth more on eBay, then sell it on eBay, don't waste peoples time by overpricing the junk at your tag sale.

[quote name='spmahn']I don't know about other places, but I know around here, eBay has pretty much irreperably killed the Flea Market / Tag Sales around here. People don't even price their stuff sensibly, and when you question some of the rediculous prices, most people just reply with "well this thing is worth such and such on eBay, so this is a bargain!" Well, if it's worth more on eBay, then sell it on eBay, don't waste peoples time by overpricing the junk at your tag sale.[/quote]
I hear ya. Evilmax and I experience that a lot when we go yardsaling.

There's also the people who just pull out figures from nowhere. I remember last year there was some older guy selling an Atari 2600 and some games, and he was trying to convince us that Atari's go for over $200 on eBay, and was incredibly adament about it when we told him he was way off. I think we even said "then you should be selling on eBay", and he made some lame excuse in response. We walked away frustrated and rolling our eyes - not because we didn't score a deal, but simply because some people are just absolutely clueless (or big liars).

People are allowed to price their stuff however they want, but don't lie or slap on outrageous asking prices. I much prefer walking away from a deal that's simply "out of our price range" rather than the stubborn/clueless/lying seller asking eBay prices and beyond.

around here it is just tons of listing on craigslist for people that want to much for their modded PSP. Or people who think their modded xbox (not 360) makes their system double in value.

[quote name='62t']around here it is just tons of listing on craigslist for people that want to much for their modded PSP. Or people who think their modded xbox (not 360) makes their system double in value.[/quote]

Triple here.

[quote name='62t']around here it is just tons of listing on craigslist for people that want to much for their modded PSP. Or people who think their modded xbox (not 360) makes their system double in value.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it does. If they mod there Xbox they usually will put a bigger harddrive in it...which would increase its value. Then if its loaded with emulators and roms....yeah, It would, and they often sell.

[quote name='moiety']People are allowed to price their stuff however they want, but don't lie or slap on outrageous asking prices. I much prefer walking away from a deal that's simply "out of our price range" rather than the stubborn/clueless/lying seller asking eBay prices and beyond.[/QUOTE]

Some people are like that and will tell really stupid lies that wouldn't fool anybody, you really have to take it for what it's worth (a good laugh). I saw a guy selling a Sega Genesis & about 8 games last year at the flea market and asked if he would be willing to sell the 6 button controller by itself and he would for but for $10 and he went on to mention something about Circuit City and how much a 6 button controller would be at Circuit City to which I wondered if he was really that dumb or if he knew it was BS and was being nieve (sp?) in thinking that I would believe it. He then offered all the Genesis stuff for $20 so surely he was just trying to make that sound good compared to asking $10 for just the controller.

I have found 2 good deals on Craig's list and most else is crap.

The first was a original 4 slot Neo Geo cabinent (in excellent shape) with Metal Slug X, 4 and Fatal Fury Special with new screen, speakers, etc that I traded my 20 gig PS3 for.

The second was this past weekend I got 2 Genesis and a Saturn for $5 total. No wires, but a much needed 6 button Genesis Controller was included.

This one's pretty good:
http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/322014029.html
Playstation 2 and 21 games *LOOK* - $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-04-30, 9:20PM CDT

i have a playstation 2 that still works perfectlly fine, 2 memory cards,2 controllers, and 21 games the games are:

mvp baseball 2005
mvp baseball 2004
ncaa march madness 2005
ncaa football 2006
haven call of the king
grand turismo 3 a-spec
grand theft auto san andreas
the great escape
madden 2006
madden 2005
ncaa football 2007
pimp my ride
rugby 2004
midnight club 2
NFL street 2
007 everything or nothing
street hoops
NBA live 2003
espn basketball
tony hawks underground 2
wwe smackdown V.S raw

all together i will sell for $500 or i will probablly accept a trade for a macbook or psp and games

i just sold my NES on craigslist with 20 something games, 3 controllers, a joystick, and a wireless multi-tap for $35

The absolute best find I've seen on Craigslist (and I didn't have the money for) Was a Mt. Dew edition Xbox. The bright green one that were only 5000 made. Guy wanted $90 for it, including a few controllers/games. :(

Only half as good as the one a few posts up, but....

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/tag/315374358.html

"Sony Playstation 2 - excellent working condition and lots of extras!!
this PS2 also plays your DVD movies...

Features:
2 controllers
2 memory cards
Video Cables
Power Cord

Games:
Tiger Woods 2004
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
The Getaway
Red Faction
Driver 2
MLB 2000
NFL 1999
and many more!

a steal at $250 with all these games.."

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/emd/335202983.html

Kingdom Hearts 1 no manual for $20, KH2 with guide for $40

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tag/335541835.html

Diddy Kong racing used for $30

5/23/07
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tag/335465543.html
lowlights
These are in the case & have manuals...
Sonic & Knuckles - $64
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - $34
Jurassic Park - $24

These are in the case, but don't have manuals...
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - $14
Streets of Rage 2 - $35

LOL I've found that MANY CL posters will stop responding if you ask too many questions about their items. Why, even I have when people ask me asinine shit that's posted for all to see IN the ad.

Excuse me, but I'm not gonna slip up n say it's cheaper than posted or anything, so either you agree with the price or have a nice life.

If my ad says FIRM, it means 'NO HAGGLING', but people still try. I gotta give them that.

What's bull is when someone never responds because they didn't like the price you gave when it's "name your price" or "best offer". Obviously you don't really want the money then if you can't take a minute to respond saying "too low".

[quote name='davo1224']What's bull is when someone never responds because they didn't like the price you gave when it's "name your price" or "best offer". Obviously you don't really want the money then if you can't take a minute to respond saying "too low".[/quote]
Or you get the people that come back with snide remarks, meanwhile they continue to list their items for months and months. There's a couple of people in my region who have been listing the same items for nearly 2 years (at least ever since I started checking CL), still asking the same prices. Some people's obstinance just boggles the mind...

bread's done
Back