More Earthbound VC drama: It's not coming

[quote name='MarioColbert'] I'm siding with NoA. [/QUOTE]

There had better be an unwritten qualifier that you wouldn't side with their insistence on changing the music, or I'm taking back those birthday wishes I sent a few weeks ago. Shit is going to be retroactively byah'd from existence and historical happening.

Oh yeah - fuck the RIAA.

I dunno, I can kind of see where they're coming from. Doesn't soften the blow much, but at it is kind of unavoidable. Lawyers will be lawyers.

Well, I guess my question is, if the SNES can only do MIDI, did they just "copy the notes" or melodies rather than rip the music and use real samples? I would have to think that makes some difference (and certainly make the licensing issues cheaper--more like a "cover" of the song).

[quote name='MarioColbert'](such as the Gray Album, which is an overrated thing that is best saved for another discussion)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps better elsewhere, but you brought it up here, so I'll give it a little defense. I think it's a pretty nifty album. Certainly something you should have in your collection.

I'm hoping for the fan translations of Mother 1 & 2, though I'll have to take Earthbound for now, I suppose.

I'm still hopeful of a DS port as an Earthbound Compilation... or seperately, like the old FFs, CT and DQs.... thats pretty much the only reason I can see for VC resistance. Sampling, original sales numbers, got reggie's daughter knocked up... just about everything has been thrown out there as a "reason" at one time or another.

I wish they would just give us a true reason, that way everybody has something to blame... and we can sue them for douchebaggery.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Perhaps better elsewhere, but you brought it up here, so I'll give it a little defense. I think it's a pretty nifty album. Certainly something you should have in your collection.[/quote]

It's more complex than "good" vs. "bad" because if I were to go all out, I'd say that Gray Album was good, but also overhyped. It's hardly the first or the last of the Beatles mashups out there, yet that's the one getting the most credit ... thanks to the big "legal" deal made about it.

[quote name='crunchewy'] I'm hoping for the fan translations of Mother 1 & 2, though I'll have to take Earthbound for now, I suppose.[/quote]

Those are being worked on, last I checked (announced the same day that Mother3 was released).

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't some group try suing the developers of Guitar Hero because the cover for one of their songs sounded *better* than them?

I believe when cases like that show up, and with all of the other retarded lawsuits people keep throwing at Nintendo, they have every reason to hesitate releasing anything that would result in a lawsuit.

I'm not sure if the Guitar Hero lawsuit was bullshit. The band sued them because their "cover" was basically trying to exactly duplicate the sound of the band and the vocalist so that they would only have to pay "cover" licensing fees and not "licensing the actual song" fees.

Nintendo is right, there's no way they could release Earthbound in its present form, too much of the game draws from various other sources. Those licensing fees exist for a reason, and for Nintendo its probably not worth it (profit-wise) to go through all of that work to release it.

just wondering, ok, they can be sued for the music, but then again, how did this work for the re-release of Mother 1+2? Aren't such rights retained worldwide?

Then again, I see Nintendo preventing the changes as pure lazyiness on their part. After all, it was a-ok to change Startropics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startropics

for both the yo-yo and the letter problems

Why can't the same be done for EB?

[quote name='ddp72984']just wondering, ok, they can be sued for the music, but then again, how did this work for the re-release of Mother 1+2? Aren't such rights retained worldwide?

Then again, I see Nintendo preventing the changes as pure lazyiness on their part. After all, it was a-ok to change Startropics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startropics

for both the yo-yo and the letter problems

Why can't the same be done for EB?[/QUOTE]

Both of your questions are answered here

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

I could see Earthbound coming out in a couple of years on VC, because of when music law is getting redone when it comes to digitized material.

Truth be told, I expect Mother 3 to hit DS before Earthbound hits the Virtual Console in North America.

[quote name='pete5883']Worst case though, all those Beatles songs go public domain in 70 years or so, right?[/QUOTE]

Maybe. Wait for the next copyright extension act once Steamboat Willie is about to go public domain again...

bread's done
Back