More Resident Evil 4

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Guess my RE4 thread was too old. Wanted to post an update for the heck of it.

I beat the game a few days ago. Lots 'o fun, though I was about ready to have it end at that point.

Finally got myself motivated to play "Separate Ways". It's pretty good-seems fairly short by comparison to the main game, but pretty good. It mostly (but not entirely) uses locations from the main game. While it's not a full game (the way RE2's two "quests" were), it is fully produced-video, voice overs, cut scenes, plot, etc. I enjoy how some stuff fits together.

Like that green gem you get as Leon behind the church. You do all this work, and get almost nothing as a reward...which is weird. After playing as Ada, it makes sense. But stuff like that makes me wonder if Separate Ways was planed from the beginning, or if they thought out what Ada was doing behind the scenes.

Gameplay-wise it's kind of different because you're stuck with certain weapons that are in some ways better and some ways worse than Leon's. Like the Blacktail (I think it's called) 9mm is a joke compared to the Red 9, but it does make the game play differently. Ada's shotgun is interesting looking and a joke compared to even the regular shotgun. But your weapons come fairly upgraded already, which is nice.

At any rate, it's a really nice bonus. The other thing were you play as Ada that was also in the Gamecube version seems really lame by comparison. I guess it sort of fits in too, but it doesn't seem like a full game (or even 3/4 a game like Seperate Ways). Ada doesn't even have a knife in it (despite having more realistic clothes!) Guess I'll try that next though.

And I think I got SOMETHING for beating the game the first time...like an "infinite launcher" or something available for sale? Guess I have to load from my completed save instead of starting a new game to get that.

RE4 is easily in my top 5 games ever list.

You should def try out 'Operation Ada' and the 'Mercenaries' side missions.

Just wait till you meet one of the game enemies, bigger, angrier brother...

I tried the first Mercenaries mode, and got a terrible score so I've pretty much given up on that :D

Main reason I'd want to beat all of that is for that magnum with the infinite ammo. Now THAT would be fun to play with, but it's not going to happen for me.

Hey! I was just about to bump that RE4 thread yesterday :D

I'm about 15 hours into the game and I still have most of my treasures. Is there somewhere that will give me more money for them or should I just sell all of the complete ones and upgrade my guns now?

I fully understand Wombat's statement that this is a "rainy day game". I can see myself popping this game into my PS2 a month from now just to shoot some heads off of villagers and monks.

Mercenaries is awesome. At first I was really bad, but once you know where all the bonuses and extra timers are, as well as knowing where to go to get a long combo, it gets really addicting.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I fully understand Wombat's statement that this is a "rainy day game".[/quote]
Funny that someone would mention that. The last time I played was a marathon 11 hour session (start to finish) on a rainy Tuesday.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I tried the first Mercenaries mode, and got a terrible score so I've pretty much given up on that :D

Main reason I'd want to beat all of that is for that magnum with the infinite ammo. Now THAT would be fun to play with, but it's not going to happen for me.[/quote]

TRUST ME. Play Mercenaries some more. Just as you were skeptical of the main game when you first started, but then grew to enjoy it, so goes mercenaries.

When I first started playing it, I SUCKED. I was the worst. I didnt play again for weeks, but I eventually went back to it and realized how awesome it was.

Like mojoman said, its all about learning the locations of the time increases and weapons and health, etc. At first you will just run around randomly and shoot zombies, but after a little while, you will develop a 'route' that you run and you'll see that not only is 50,000 points possible, you can get much higher scores.

To this day I occassionaly go back to Mercenaries mode and play for a bit. Its soooo good.

I'm tempted to pick up the PS2 version just to see the new content that isn't on the Gamecube version.

I purchased RE4 the week of its release on the Gamecube. I had heard some very positive things about it but I was still blown away by how great the game is. It's one of my ten favorite games of all time.

I'm tempted to hook up my Gamecube right now (I didn't hook it up after I moved back to WA) just to play through the village areas again.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'm tempted to pick up the PS2 version just to see the new content that isn't on the Gamecube version.[/quote]
If you've already got the GC version, it might be worth it. Separate Ways is mostly fun, especially the later parts that feature new areas instead of slightly different versions of existing areas. The alternate outfits are pretty silly, but Ashley's armor can make her a very useful tool.

How do you get Ashley's armor?

Separate Ways is pretty fun. It's nowhere near as long as the main game, but actually does fill in quite a bit of stuff-a lot of it actually feels like it SHOULD have been there, like it fills in stuff I really was wondering about the first time through.

Bad thing is you'd have to play through the main game again to get to it.

Then you get the Chicago Typewriter, which I guess isn't in the Gamecube version?

I'm going to play through it again with the Chicago Typewriter, but I'm going to shelve it for a while and play something else, so that it feels fresher when I come back to it.

Oh, and thanks for the info on Mercenaries guys, but it sounds like something I'd hate and would just be work to complete for me. I'd rather just play the main game again with the Chicago Typewriter.
I've given up on...whatever the other one with Ada is called. Not Separate Ways but the mini-game that was in the Gamecube version.

Yeah, "Assignment: Ada" and "Mercenaries" are basically RE4 distilled down to the "having fun shooting things" element of the game, without all the story and puzzles and other stuff that seems a chore the second time through, which is why I still go back to those two modes. Sometimes I just want to blow ganados away, and they more than deliver. It doesn't hurt that some of the bad guys in "Mercenaries" aren't in the main game, either.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats 'Assignment Ada' and the Typewriter is in the cube version. You have to beat the game once and then it costs $1mm.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. I assumed it wasn't because you have to beat both the main game AND Separate Ways to get it in the PS2 version.

I might give those other two modes another shot sometime later, but I just don't think they're my thing. I've never liked those mini-extras in the RE games.

But you know what's really, really scary?

I just beat Resident Evil. I just beat Separate Ways. I planned to move on to another game and save this for later...

but I think I'm going to start up again and play through with the Chicago Typewriter :D

I've ended up doing this with every single Resident Evil game. I just love how they "feel" to play. They're the game equivalent of a Terminator film or something.

After beating Ape Escape 3 this weekend, I started RE4 again with the Chicago Typewriter.

My favorite part so far is when I fought the first "big guy". Aimed at his head, pulled the trigger, and instantly it cut to the parasite ripping out of him. Instead of running up his back, I just aimed at it, pulled the trigger, and again in a split second he went down.

Very cool! :D

Can't wait to see how it handles some of the even tougher guys in the game.

Anyone else disapointed by the lack of Resident Evil 4 style survival horror games? Usually when a game sells really well and gets as much critical acclaim as RE4 we see similar games, but I haven't seen anything similar yet. From what I understand the next Alone in the Dark will be somewhat similar to RE4 but that's it as far as I know (beside RE5/UC of course).

I wish there were more games similar to what Capcom's survival horror games in general do. Stuff that tells a story and has that "hook" to the gameplay.

Parasite Eve 2 was really great, as was Eternal Darkness (and Capcom's own Dino Crisis 2). I loved Shadow of Destiny, and Indigo Prophecy looked cool, but other than that there isn't much.

Eternal Darkness is great, I hope that the developers make a sequel for the 360 after they finish with Too Human. Indigo Prophecy was also great, but it wasn't really anything like a survival horror, but it did have a great story and good gameplay. I know I'm looking forward to their next game Heavy Rain.

I remember reading somewhere that the next Silent Hill game was gonna use the RE4 control scheme. Which sort of screams 'me too', but copying RE4 is better than sticking with the old RE/SH 'Tank' control scheme of the past.

So again I have to point out that RE4 uses THE EXACT SAME CONTROLS AS RE3 :D

I liked the original Silent Hill, but didn't like the sequel or what I've played of the newer ones. Among other issues, they're freaky rather than being like an action movie as the Resident Evil games are.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So again I have to point out that RE4 uses THE EXACT SAME CONTROLS AS RE3 :D[/quote]
I never played RE3 but did it have the "snap the trigger and aim over the shoulder " system?

And, where am I going to find one million bucks buy the Chicago Typewriter?

I thought this thread was going to be about Capcom re-releasing Resident Evil 4 with new features.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I never played RE3 but did it have the "snap the trigger and aim over the shoulder " system?

And, where am I going to find one million bucks buy the Chicago Typewriter?[/quote]

Well it is the same movement controls as RE3, but its the persepctive that its viewed from that makes all the difference.

You can save up a million easy enough. Sell as many grenades and mixed herbs as you can. Sell all the most valuable prizes like the clean versions of jewelry, and fully completed lanterns and whatnot. Make sure you fit all the gems into what they fit into. Sell all the ammo of guns you dont use, etc. I had enough money about 1/3 of the way thru my second playthru.

[quote name='Puffa469']You can save up a million easy enough. Sell as many grenades and mixed herbs as you can. Sell all the most valuable prizes like the clean versions of jewelry, and fully completed lanterns and whatnot. Make sure you fit all the gems into what they fit into. Sell all the ammo of guns you dont use, etc. I had enough money about 1/3 of the way thru my second playthru.[/quote]
Yup. I was able to buy it the first time I met the merchant ...after selling all my other weapons (with the CT you don't need anything else after all). By selling ammo and treasure I was also able to buy the infinite rocket launcher and semi-auto rifle (fully upgraded) long before the end of the game.

After I got the Typewriter, I kept the sniper rifle, cos it makes a few key parts of the game sooo much easier, and I kept the Butterfly, cos its the Butterfly, sometimes I like to go off Dirty Harry style.

bread's done
Back