Morrowind GOTY $5 and Oblivion GOTY $8.50 on Steam

eagles5769

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I'm debating whether getting Morrowind. Oblivion was my first only Elder Scrolls game and I sunk 130 hours into that game on the 360. So I figured since I really enjoyed Oblivion I should enjoy Morrowind, especially if I use some texture mods to make the game look prettier. I have a gaming quality pc so I'm free to play any game without having to worry about slowdowns.

Morrowind
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/

Oblivion
http://store.steampowered.com/app/900883/

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get this, but I did get the Oblivion GOTY edition for 8.50. Great Deals all around. Can't mess up getting any of these.

Many purists see Morrowind as superior to Oblivion, including myself, but the combat does not hold up well.

I enjoyed Morrowind's story and characters more than Oblivion's (there was also a much greater sense of mystery and danger to Morrowind), but Oblivion is definitely more accessible. If both are on sale, I say start with Oblivion.

Forget Morrowind, put Oblivion for $8.50 up in the title. Plus, I already have Morrowind, not sure that the expansions are worth $5.

How much better is the PC version of Morrowind than the Xbox version? I remember trying to get into it back in the day on Xbox and it was just kind of blah and really muddy graphics-wise. Bad port or similar to the PC version?

The PC version ran much better, and looked much better. Oblivion is a resource hog on the PC, don't get me wrong, and needed a high-end PC. But high end 3 years ago is today's low end, and anyone with a Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 8800 or better shouldn't have an issue.

[quote name='eagles5769']I'm debating whether getting it. Oblivion GOTY is also on sale for $8.50. Oblivion was my first only Elder Scrolls game and I sunk 130 hours into that game on the 360. So I figured since I really enjoyed Oblivion I should enjoy Morrowind, especially if I use some texture mods to make the game look prettier.[/QUOTE]

If you you're looking for mods, you might want this.
http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/
Make the graphics as good as Oblivion, possibly even better.
It includes some other good mods too, but it will murder your fps if you don't have a decent computer.

Morrowind is worth getting on PC if you only have it on the xbox due to much better load times, more organized journal, and of course mods that make it look a lot better. Picked it up for $20 at BB last fall, $5 is a steal.

I have retail copies of both but I'm extremely tempted to pay the 13.50 just to have the convenience of Steam.

Darn it.

• • •

EDIT: Nevermind, I went ahead and did so. I never owned the expansions for Morrowind and it is one of the few games I have ever finished (I play hundreds, I finish a handful), so I'm certain I'll go back in for more eventually.

Oblivion was a convenience purchase. I have Shivering Isles sitting here, sealed. I just didn't want to have to deal with multiple discs.

Seriously, darn it.

The combat in Morrowind killed it for me...completely. I loved Oblivion and at $8.50, it's entirely worth every single penny. Shivering Isles is quite the mind**** and fun.

Morrowind was awesome, one of the best storylines ever in the main quest. But it's very difficult at the start, and takes time to "get the feel" for how everything works. And the expansions weren't all that great.

I agree on the part that Oblivion was more accessible.. which is why I preferred it much more than my short time with Morrowind. Both great deals though and you'll definitely get plenty of hours out of each.

[quote name='Dillon627']If you you're looking for mods, you might want this.
Make the graphics as good as Oblivion, possibly even better.
It includes some other good mods too, but it will murder your fps if you don't have a decent computer.[/QUOTE]
That looks awesome. Do you know if it requires the 2 expansions? Or if it works with the Steam version?

Back in the day I modded Morrowind to death with over one hundred mods. Loved it. I can't say what the best mods are these days as they keep getting better, but there are many lists of great ones out on the web.

There's a wide variety of housing mods. So much better than squatting on that house in Balmora where you can take out the owner and dwell there. That was one of the very limited options for those with Xbox versions as they couldn't mod. If you're a collector, I'd also look for a Book Rotate mod and try to find Morrowind Toy Shoppe which puts little toy models of the game's creatures in random places to find. If you're into graphics, there are many improvement mods for bodies, heads, and textures. Get a general bug fix that corrects some text and a couple quest bugs. Maybe try a sign mod just to make the in-game crossroads directional signs legible. There's lots of additional quest mods to try. There's a couple different mod managers that help install mods and resolve conflicts with having more than one mod installed. Have fun.

I'm trying hard to resist but I will probably end up biting on both of these. Already have Oblivion goty for 360 but haven't played any of the goty content. I played a bit of Morrowind on the old xbox but didn't get far into it, $5 is an awesome price.

-Edit-
Steam wins again.

Thanks op

[quote name='lilman']I'm trying hard to resist but I will probably end up biting on both of these. Already have Oblivion goty for 360 but haven't played any of the goty content. I played a bit of Morrowind on the old xbox but didn't get far into it, $5 is an awesome price.

-Edit-
Steam wins again.

Thanks op[/QUOTE]

you also win. great prices haha

As far as graphics go, Morrowind is dated.

Use things like Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Clothes (mods, all of them), and the Morrowind Visual Pack. Look for Texture Fix mods that help with the tiles overlapping quite badly. Look for the Morrowind Graphics Extender to...extend your graphics (and add shaders like Bloom and HDR, among other things) and the Morrowind FPS Optimizer can change the FOV from the default of 75, and do a few other things like keep a minimum FPS (or cap your FPS and extend the view range to bring it down).

There are some still standing bugs you want to get rid of. Find the Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4, and there's something called the Morrowind Code Patch that fixes a few things as well.

That's a GREAT resource. You can find links to most (if not everything) that I mentioned from that page.

I played the GOTY edition on Xbox and also have a modded version on the PC. Here's my list of unnecessary mods (since people seem to have graphics and combat tweaks covered):

Havish
Abu Manor v.2 (sweet mansion that you can load with your loot)
Dogs of Morrowind (adds dogs to all of the cities, kind of useless, to be honest)
Nerevarine Castle
Annastia
Lothavor's Legacy
Dwemer Cyborgs (really awesome mod and quest)
Cragonmoor
Wayfafer's Rest

and many more. You just have to look for them.

Hooray, 3 copies of Oblivion. I bought it for PC day one but never finished it...doubt I'll get through everything but I can't pass up either game at these prices. Thanks OP.

gah, I wish this was coming to Mac...I'm tempted to buy at that price and just hope for the best

Is this a weekend sale, or lasting during the pre-order? If it's still on next week, I'll send my hardcopys with my son to his moms, otherwise, he's sol. :)

[quote name='ForeStorm']As far as graphics go, Morrowind is dated.

Use things like Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Clothes (mods, all of them), and the Morrowind Visual Pack. Look for Texture Fix mods that help with the tiles overlapping quite badly. Look for the Morrowind Graphics Extender to...extend your graphics (and add shaders like Bloom and HDR, among other things) and the Morrowind FPS Optimizer can change the FOV from the default of 75, and do a few other things like keep a minimum FPS (or cap your FPS and extend the view range to bring it down).

There are some still standing bugs you want to get rid of. Find the Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.4, and there's something called the Morrowind Code Patch that fixes a few things as well.

That's a GREAT resource. You can find links to most (if not everything) that I mentioned from that page.[/QUOTE]

Here are my laptop specs:

Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
4GB of RAM
64-bit OS

Basically I wanna pretty the game up a bit with killing my laptop, and add on any other goodies that'll enhance the game.

[quote name='happy']It's one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV6-1350US-15-6-Inch-Espresso-Laptop/dp/B002ONCD4M
[/QUOTE]

It won't play the best, with the Intel 4500MHD but it will run. Checked out some Youtube videos of it and it looked decent on medium settings. Only thing is you'll want/need to turn it at a lower resolution than your native res of 1366x768. maybe a 1024x768 or even lower like 800x600 lol if you don't mind. I think it'd be doable at 1024x768 if you don't mind mostly low settings. Depends on if you're okay at those settings and prob hovering around ~30FPS is my guess.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Here are my laptop specs:

Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
4GB of RAM
64-bit OS
[/QUOTE]

need to know your graphics chipset. Integrated I'm assuming.

but there's also the OLDblivion mod that can help run on much weaker systems.. so really most of you guys are fine. Just depends on your graphical tolerance on "lows" and low res =)

[quote name='aznguyen316']It won't play the best, with the Intel 4500MHD but it will run. Checked out some Youtube videos of it and it looked decent on medium settings. Only thing is you'll want/need to turn it at a lower resolution than your native res of 1366x768. maybe a 1024x768 or even lower like 800x600 lol if you don't mind. I think it'd be doable at 1024x768 if you don't mind mostly low settings. Depends on if you're okay at those settings and prob hovering around ~30FPS is my guess.

need to know your graphics chipset. Integrated I'm assuming.

but there's also the OLDblivion mod that can help run on much weaker systems.. so really most of you guys are fine. Just depends on your graphical tolerance on "lows" and low res =)[/QUOTE]

My Bad. It's ATI Radeon 3100 graphics.

[quote name='Trelow']Is this a weekend sale, or lasting during the pre-order? If it's still on next week, I'll send my hardcopys with my son to his moms, otherwise, he's sol. :)[/QUOTE]

Through the weekend, then it'll be over.

@Purple Flames: Everything looks fine to me but the video card; I'm unsure of how good (or bad) it is. To be honest, anything recent should be able to pretty up Morrowind a decent bit, provided you don't go overboard with the Distant Lands in MGE. The default is 13 cells of distant stuff; I cut it down to about half and still see a good bit.

Also, here's a pretty handy step-by-step guide on the Distant Lands creation. Be sure to get the Mesh at 50% trick - it saved some FPS for me.

Oh. I want to point out: MGE, the FPS Optimizer, and the Code Patch all worked on the Steam version without a hitch. Hooray!

And if you're running an ATI card like me and have problems with a black sun (like me) on Vista/Win7, there's some fixed textures in the second to last post in this thread here. (I'm not sure if I can post links straight to the actual file, but it's one click away from that thread.)

[quote name='ForeStorm']@Purple Flames: Everything looks fine to me but the video card; I'm unsure of how good (or bad) it is. To be honest, anything recent should be able to pretty up Morrowind a decent bit, provided you don't go overboard with the Distant Lands in MGE. The default is 13 cells of distant stuff; I cut it down to about half and still see a good bit.

Also, here's a pretty handy step-by-step guide on the Distant Lands creation. Be sure to get the Mesh at 50% trick - it saved some FPS for me.

Oh. I want to point out: MGE, the FPS Optimizer, and the Code Patch all worked on the Steam version without a hitch. Hooray!

And if you're running an ATI card like me and have problems with a black sun (like me) on Vista/Win7, there's some fixed textures in the second to last post in this thread here. (I'm not sure if I can post links straight to the actual file, but it's one click away from that thread.)[/QUOTE]

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Thinking of picking up 2 copies of Oblivion; one for me and another as a birthday present, really tempting. Also, for anyone looking for mods http://tesnexus.com is a great place to go, somewhere around 15k for Oblivion alone, and like 7k for morrowind.

Looks like a great deal and I just might jump on it. I do have a general Steam question though. After getting the game through Steam, can I just run the game without Steam? I know that it doesn't take up much resources but when your comp sucks, you're going to need every bit you can get.

sorry cybolt, you cannot. Unless there's some way by jumping through cracks and hoops, but easy answer no. There's not much to worry about though.

I agree the latest version of Morrowind Graphics Extender is an awesome and necessary mod. Good for widescreen monitors too. But be warned that 1.It will require a few hours study and practice to really master the various fuctions, and 2.It requires around double the base computing power requirements to run MGE with all the distant land, reflective water, and widescreen mods cranked.

I've been tempted in the past to get Morrowind in a sale since so many people seem to prefer it over Oblivion and it does seem to have much more unique and varied locations. But the graphics put me off and while the mods are great it seems like a huge amount of work to research which ones to get, hunt them down, set them up and get everything to work.

Wish there was something like the Stalker Complete 2009 mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, which is basically an all-in-one package with all the graphical enhancements for the game as well as some fan patching and tweaks in one install.

[quote name='TestType']I've been tempted in the past to get Morrowind in a sale since so many people seem to prefer it over Oblivion and it does seem to have much more unique and varied locations. But the graphics put me off and while the mods are great it seems like a huge amount of work to research which ones to get, hunt them down, set them up and get everything to work.

Wish there was something like the Stalker Complete 2009 mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, which is basically an all-in-one package with all the graphical enhancements for the game as well as some fan patching and tweaks in one install.[/QUOTE]
Google search morrowind 2009 wordpress.
I don't feel like posting the link again.

[quote name='TestType']I've been tempted in the past to get Morrowind in a sale since so many people seem to prefer it over Oblivion and it does seem to have much more unique and varied locations. But the graphics put me off and while the mods are great it seems like a huge amount of work to research which ones to get, hunt them down, set them up and get everything to work.

Wish there was something like the Stalker Complete 2009 mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, which is basically an all-in-one package with all the graphical enhancements for the game as well as some fan patching and tweaks in one install.[/QUOTE]

Really, I just ordered Stalker from Goozex. See, I'm new to pc gaming. I don't have problems downloading stuff to make the game better but I don't know any reputable sites where I could get these mods without risking an infection.

bread's done
Back