Mortal Kombat (9) - Ripping People in half NOW - 8.6 metacritic

This game really has revolutionized the way fighting games can tell their stories. I would love to see Tekken or Street Fighter have a similiar story mode like Mortal Kombat.

[quote name='Thomas96']This game really has revolutionized the way fighting games can tell their stories. I would love to see Tekken or Street Fighter have a similiar story mode like Mortal Kombat.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a nitpicker, but MK vs. DC Universe used the same storytelling format.

But you're right. This is far and away better than any story I've seen in those two games.

[quote name='Donut2922']is there any special easter egg to unlock when toasty comes out?[/QUOTE]

No idea, so far its only popped up once. (Which was while i was getting my ass kicked). And i have beaten Arcade with about 8 characters so far. (Along with fighting all 4 of the Secret Battles)

fighting games really need to step up their single player game after this release.

since psn beens down, ive beaten story mode, challenge tower and over half the ladder with the characters... but im missing the online play

[quote name='dgwillia006'](Along with fighting all 4 of the Secret Battles)[/QUOTE]

i cant fucking get santa to fly across the moon or smoke to appear for the life of me. its really starting to piss me off.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Not trying to be a nitpicker, but MK vs. DC Universe used the same storytelling format.

But you're right. This is far and away better than any story I've seen in those two games.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know, but this game may end up getting most of the credit for it because it'll sell more and end up being more popular. This is a great reboot and a great start for mortal kombat and its transition to the "next gen." I didn't play MK vs DC; are there any differences (or improvements) between MK's story mode and the story mode in MK vs DC?

[quote name='Thomas96']yeah I know, but this game may end up getting most of the credit for it because it'll sell more and end up being more popular. This is a great reboot and a great start for mortal kombat and its transition to the "next gen." I didn't play MK vs DC; are there any differences (or improvements) between MK's story mode and the story mode in MK vs DC?[/QUOTE]

This game will get credit to be sure. I'm just glad the "censored" version of Joker's fatality made it into this game. Reusing game assets ftw.

As for the story mode of MK vs DC plays in a similar fashion to this title, but this one does it better and seems to flow better overall. I will say though MK vs DC is worth the rental if not the cheap pickup (that game is dirt cheap everywhere I go).

I think the way the story is done is awesome -- if it wasn't just typical Mortal Kombat silliness I bet some really epic games could be made like this.

And Blazblue got praised for text boxes =p

Lol, that damn Santa took forever to show up for me, then i ended up having to re-do the fight like 3 times because i screwed up my flawless. (The stage refused to show up as my first one, so i ended up just playing until it showed up)

does he show up within a few seconds of the match starting? and i take it if you screw up, you can lose, retry and he will def show up again?

also, if he doesnt show up, could i lose and just keep replaying until that fat fuck does show up?

[quote name='Donut2922']I just keep jumping past Shao Kahn to land right behind him. Whenever you do that, he automatically tries to uppercut you with his sledgehammer or do his shadow kick variation. That'll leave him open to an uppercut. Jump behind him again and repeat to infinity. The AI for Shao Kahn keeps using anti-air counters but the key is to jump behind him before he can hit you.
[/QUOTE]

THIS!

Thanks a bunch, would have taken forever if I didn't read that.

Have yet to go online so all I have been doing is challenge tower and story mode. I'm at the tag match with Liu Kang and Raiden. I'm having issues due to the health regenerating. Any tips? I'm thinking about buying past the ones that are to hard for me to get in a few tries. However I would like the trophy. So I guess i have to do them for that. I'm also wondering can you go back and beat just the ones you bought to get past and then get the trophy?

Now to questions on the story. So don't read if you have not beat the story mode yet.

I take it this takes place during 1, 2 and 3. at first I was only seeing that it was in the time between 1 and 2.

Anyway am I wrong or did the first sub zero try to say it was not him that killed scorpion, his family and his clan.

Also can someone make sure I am correct on this?

Baraka alive
Cyber Sub-Zero dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Cyrax dead? was in the same room everyone else died in
Ermac alive? I forgot what happened to him
Jade dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Jax Briggs dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Johnny Cage alive
Kabal dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kano still frozen?
Kitana dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kung Lao dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kurtis Stryker dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Liu Kang dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Mileena alive
Nightwolf dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Noob Saibot dead/trapped in the soul tornado
Quan Chi alive/next boss
Raiden alive
Reptile alive? I forgot what happened to him
Scorpion alive
Sektor dead? was in that room where everyone died
Shang Tsung dead
Sheeva alive
Sindel dead
Smoke dead
Sonya Blade alive
Sub-Zero dead

So over half are dead or am I wrong on this? Ermac and Reptile I don't remember seeing what happened to them other than they were beat. Sector and Cyrax were both in the room where everyone else died.

Also not sure if this is a good place to do this or not but I'm looking for the Reptile pre order skin. If anyone has an extra and would like to work out some sort of trade let me know. I don't really see the point of starting a thread in the trading room just for it, however if the mods don't want me asking about it in here feel free to edit this out.

[quote name='sendme']Have yet to go online so all I have been doing is challenge tower and story mode. I'm at the tag match with Liu Kang and Raiden. I'm having issues due to the health regenerating. Any tips? I'm thinking about buying past the ones that are to hard for me to get in a few tries. However I would like the trophy. So I guess i have to do them for that. I'm also wondering can you go back and beat just the ones you bought to get past and then get the trophy?

Now to questions on the story. So don't read if you have not beat the story mode yet.

I take it this takes place during 1, 2 and 3. at first I was only seeing that it was in the time between 1 and 2.

Anyway am I wrong or did the first sub zero try to say it was not him that killed scorpion, his family and his clan.

Also can someone make sure I am correct on this?

Baraka alive
Cyber Sub-Zero dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Cyrax dead? was in the same room everyone else died in
Ermac alive? I forgot what happened to him
Jade dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Jax Briggs dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Johnny Cage alive
Kabal dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kano still frozen?
Kitana dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kung Lao dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Kurtis Stryker dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Liu Kang dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Mileena alive
Nightwolf dead/Quan Chi's bitch
Noob Saibot dead/trapped in the soul tornado
Quan Chi alive/next boss
Raiden alive
Reptile alive? I forgot what happened to him
Scorpion alive
Sektor dead? was in that room where everyone died
Shang Tsung dead
Sheeva alive
Sindel dead
Smoke dead
Sonya Blade alive
Sub-Zero dead

So over half are dead or am I wrong on this? Ermac and Reptile I don't remember seeing what happened to them other than they were beat. Sector and Cyrax were both in the room where everyone else died.
[/QUOTE]
-Story spoilers-
Not sure where it was originally revealed (mythologies, maybe?), but you find out in Deception's Konquest mode that Quan Chi actually dressed as Sub Zero and killed everyone Scorpion loved after Scorpion died. Scorpion finds out somewhere along the road to Deception and hunts down Quan Chi.

As to your character list, I paid no attention to the bad guys, but on the good guys side? Only Raiden, Cage, and Sonya are living. Scorpion's alive, too, hopefully he'll join the good guys next game.

[quote name='sendme']Have yet to go online so all I have been doing is challenge tower and story mode. I'm at the tag match with Liu Kang and Raiden. I'm having issues due to the health regenerating. Any tips? I'm thinking about buying past the ones that are to hard for me to get in a few tries. However I would like the trophy. So I guess i have to do them for that. I'm also wondering can you go back and beat just the ones you bought to get past and then get the trophy?[/QUOTE]

anytime someone has regen health, you just gotta be aggressive offensively. as for skipping, you can skip challenges and still get the costume and the trophy for the costume, but you must complete all 300 for the tower trophy. so you can skip them, but you must go back and beat them so you might as well just not skip. the more you die, the easier the AI becomes for that challenge (case in point, in #300 the first 5 times, you gain no health back between fights, but after awhile you start to to make it easier), so just keep retrying and eventually youll get it.

Okay, I have not played a fighting game in years and suck I am sure, but I popped this in the other day and went straight to the tutorial. Anyway, in the tutorial I couldnt get the second string of combos to take. What the hell am I doing wrong? I tried timing differnt things, yet it didnt work. I am at work, so cant check for complete accuracy, but I believe it was the combo "square,tringle,x" or something. I hit them all in a row without contact to the other fighter, with contact or both. I tried delaying each input with contact and without. Nothing worked or registered that I did it. What am I supposed to do herre?

I did the sequence as fast as my fingers would go and no sure what playing the piano would mean since I never tried to play one. I will go home and try it again as fast as I can and see if that does anything. I must be the worst player ever if I cant get the second simplest combo to work! :)

I price matched TRU this afternoon at BB and picked this up for laughs. It cost me about the same as it would have if I bought it from TRU with the $10 off coupon at the current price of $49.99 this week.;)

[quote name='CaptainJoel']-Story spoilers-
Not sure where it was originally revealed (mythologies, maybe?), but you find out in Deception's Konquest mode that Quan Chi actually dressed as Sub Zero and killed everyone Scorpion loved after Scorpion died. Scorpion finds out somewhere along the road to Deception and hunts down Quan Chi.

As to your character list, I paid no attention to the bad guys, but on the good guys side? Only Raiden, Cage, and Sonya are living. Scorpion's alive, too, hopefully he'll join the good guys next game.
[/QUOTE]

Never was able to play mythologies as the disc would not work in my Playstation. I don't really remember much from Deception or the Konquest mode. I plan on going back to the older games and playing them now that I have a MK stick.

[quote name='8bitArtist']anytime someone has regen health, you just gotta be aggressive offensively. as for skipping, you can skip challenges and still get the costume and the trophy for the costume, but you must complete all 300 for the tower trophy. so you can skip them, but you must go back and beat them so you might as well just not skip. the more you die, the easier the AI becomes for that challenge (case in point, in #300 the first 5 times, you gain no health back between fights, but after awhile you start to to make it easier), so just keep retrying and eventually youll get it.[/QUOTE]

I knew the last one it worked like that. I guess i will keep trying. I really don't want to start all over at it but I do want the trophy. Good to know that about the ai is not just for 300.

Thanks for the help with the training. I finally got through that and started playing the story last night. I love the corniness of it all. Even though I suck I was able to get into chapter 3 with relative ease and didnt even have to move down to easy. Although I am sure I eventually will as I just dont have the patience and skill.

Wow. Even on easy the enemies know when you're spamming the same shit over and over and counter how they fight to some extent.:whistle2:#

How many stage fatality stages are there? I know one of the ones I was fighting in was the bell tower from MK 3/UMK3, but I guess you have to be in specific spots to get some of them to work.

And what's with there being two spots for Kratos in the PS3 version at the bottom of the character select screen, but only one is selectable?

[quote name='8bitArtist']patience and skill is something you will need in MK, especially for the challenge tower.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but i am not worried about that. I will try them, but not going to worry about finishing them if I get stuck. I only bought the game because it came out free after selling DLC codes and the extra copy I got from TRU. $76 after tax for both copies and selling the extras for more than $80 is great. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
And what's with there being two spots for Kratos in the PS3 version at the bottom of the character select screen, but only one is selectable?[/QUOTE]

I ran across that earlier but forget what exactly the deal was. For some reason I think I remember selecting something around one of them and it did a random character selection...

It wouldn't even let me select that block. I can understand the greyed out character at the bottom as that's likely one you unlock in the krypt or something, but it makes no sense to have two of the same character on the select screen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It wouldn't even let me select that block. I can understand the greyed out character at the bottom as that's likely one you unlock in the krypt or something, but it makes no sense to have two of the same character on the select screen.[/QUOTE]
I noticed the same thing and wonder why it is there...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm watching some of the stage fatalities for this game now. It's amazing to me how many of the ones from 1-UMK3 are in here.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad they did that with some of them, but honestly I don't like liu-kang's dragon half as good as the one from mk2.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow. Even on easy the enemies know when you're spamming the same shit over and over and counter how they fight to some extent.:whistle2:#

How many stage fatality stages are there? I know one of the ones I was fighting in was the bell tower from MK 3/UMK3, but I guess you have to be in specific spots to get some of them to work.

And what's with there being two spots for Kratos in the PS3 version at the bottom of the character select screen, but only one is selectable?[/QUOTE]

the stage fatalities are the subway, the haunted forest, the acid bath, the lava stage, the pit stages, kratos' stage and the street stage. all of the stage fatalities are performed by being very close to your opponent.

as for being 2 kratos', the left one is for player 1, the right one is for player 2. that is all.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Does Cyber Sub Zero have an alternate costume? I think I have everyone else's alternate except his.[/QUOTE]

no he doesnt.

I bought all the fatalities that I saw listed along with all the alt costumes. However I still have some fatalities that show up as locked. I know 3 of them will due to being preorder only however I have at least one for everyone. I'm guessing it is the stage fatality or the babilaty. I looked up only how to do Noob Saibot's babilaty and when I tried it in the fatality trainer I could not get it to work. So do I need to unlock them some place, was noobs wrong ( forward, up, forward 1 ), or can you not do them in the fatality trainer?

[quote name='8bitArtist']the stage fatalities are the subway, the haunted forest, the acid bath, the lava stage, the pit stages, kratos' stage and the street stage. all of the stage fatalities are performed by being very close to your opponent.

as for being 2 kratos', the left one is for player 1, the right one is for player 2. that is all.[/QUOTE]
The forest one must require being in a specific spot then, as I've tried doing that one repeatedly in the demo and it didn't want to work.:cry:

I was kind of surprised to see the Dead Pool(acid bath) stage made it back into the game. I don't think I've seen the same stage twice as of yet while playing through the standard MK ladder. But the lack of a run button in this reboot makes getting in combos after you freeze someone to be quite annoying.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The forest one must require being in a specific spot then, as I've tried doing that one repeatedly in the demo and it didn't want to work.:cry:

I was kind of surprised to see the Dead Pool(acid bath) stage made it back into the game. I don't think I've seen the same stage twice as of yet while playing through the standard MK ladder. But the lack of a run button in this reboot makes getting in combos after you freeze someone to be quite annoying.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

You couldn't do the stage fatalities in the demos.

Unless I imagined it, I'm pretty sure the haunted forest stage WAS in the demo, as I spent at least two hours the one night intentionally losing matches to get back to that stage to try out the stage fatality there.;)

Ahhh. So the STAGE was in the demo, but the fatality for it was NOT. That's weird that they'd put in one stage fatality and the stage for another but no fatality.

[quote name='SEH']The stage fatality for the haunted forest was not in the demo is what he was saying.[/QUOTE]

correct. im bored with this game. i need online.

Just wanted to say that I finally opened and played the copy I got last week. Damn is this a fun game. I haven't gotten into a fighting game in years but this game really does a good job of being entertaining even if you're a fighting noob.

the online sucks ass for this game 2/10 matches (this is for 360) I get 2 that actually have good connection other than that I hope they patch this soon, because the combos don't work online!

[quote name='CaoPi']the online sucks ass for this game 2/10 matches (this is for 360) I get 2 that actually have good connection other than that I hope they patch this soon, because the combos don't work online![/QUOTE]

Mortal Kombat II from PSN was like this too. I have what someone on CAG(Paco) called "Brazilian internet" and it was like playing in super slo mo the whole time.:whistle2:#

I had a lot of slowdown the 2 times I was able to play Mortal Kombat online (before PSN going down). There was a lot of slowdown during the X-Ray moves in particular.

bread's done
Back