Mortal Kombat (9) - Ripping People in half NOW - 8.6 metacritic

[quote name='8bitArtist']did you lose a round while getting to tsung? cuz you cant lose a round the entire ladder, then double flawless and fatality.

also, smoke is down and select. down and back is xbox.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I did getting to him, I switched a character or something like that.

But I can lose both matches to him if I don't get the double flawless and try again, right? Because even on Beginner it's tough to get a double on him.

well, you said you lost a few to get the AI to dumb down. if you did that you wont get it.

just play on beginner and run through everyone not losing (a round and a match). when you get to shang, try to double flawless him (see youtube for strategies) then fatality. IF you didnt get 2 flawless, still beat him, but DONT fatality, just punch him or something. when it says you won, hit start and restart the match. since you did that during the win pose, it wont count as a loss and you can try again.

hope that helps.

Wow. Some of these easter eggs sound like a real pain in the ass to get. I doubt I'll ever get the one where you can't lose a round.

Also, is it just me or does Dan Forden(TOASTY) not pop up that often anymore? I've done some pretty brutal uppercuts and such to finish off a combo and I've only seen him pop up on the screen maybe 3-4 times since I've had the game.

I miss the days of it just taking waiting for TOASTY to pop up to hit down n start or only using low kick to get to hidden fights.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow. Some of these easter eggs sound like a real pain in the ass to get. I doubt I'll ever get the one where you can't lose a round.

Also, is it just me or does Dan Forden(TOASTY) not pop up that often anymore? I've done some pretty brutal uppercuts and such to finish off a combo and I've only seen him pop up on the screen maybe 3-4 times since I've had the game.

I miss the days of it just taking waiting for TOASTY to pop up to hit down n start or only using low kick to get to hidden fights.:razz:[/QUOTE]

lol, i played the entire SP story and haven't seen Dan Forden.

[quote name='Average Gamer']lol, i played the entire SP story and haven't seen Dan Forden.[/QUOTE]
I've only seen him a couple of times. You usually have to do a decent sized combo or hit an uppercut out of nowhere to get him to show up though.:D

Oh ffs. I'm still stuck on Shao Kahn on story mode. I've tried teleporting behind him to do the 'superman' thing. I've tried jumping over him to get behind him and hit an uppercut repeatedly. I've even tried comboing him to no avail.

I'm about to put this game in the 'fuck it I'm annoyed and likely not coming back to it' pile.

He gets me with either a rising shoulderblock, swinging his sledgehammer or one of his projectile attacks when I try to jump over him to hit an uppercut or two hit combo.

I'm so sick of fighting this same damn battle. A game is supposed to be fun but this is just frustrating as fuck.

Then again I never play as Raiden to beat the game and I was usually able to spam super moves with Liu Kang or whoever to get him in prior games.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh ffs. I'm still stuck on Shao Kahn on story mode. I've tried teleporting behind him to do the 'superman' thing. I've tried jumping over him to get behind him and hit an uppercut repeatedly. I've even tried comboing him to no avail.

I'm about to put this game in the 'fuck it I'm annoyed and likely not coming back to it' pile.

He gets me with either a rising shoulderblock, swinging his sledgehammer or one of his projectile attacks when I try to jump over him to hit an uppercut or two hit combo.

I'm so sick of fighting this same damn battle. A game is supposed to be fun but this is just frustrating as fuck.

Then again I never play as Raiden to beat the game and I was usually able to spam super moves with Liu Kang or whoever to get him in prior games.:roll:[/QUOTE]

It's hard to explain clearly but you need to time your jumps to land right behind not too early otherwise he'll face you when you land or not too late otherwise in which he'll hit you with his rising shoulder block or hammer. after an uppercut, I move forward maybe a few steps then jump. by the time you land you should land right behind him and he'll have committed to a move that'll leave him exposed to another uppercut. don't give up:)

Alright. Just like GTA I'm taking a wait and see approach on the next MK game. This last battle against Shao Kahn in story mode is still being a major league pain in my ass and I have officially given up on the damned game.

I've tried jumping behind and uppercutting. I've tried teleporting behind and doing the 'Superman'. I've tried comboing him with an easy to do triangle combo that pops him into the air. I even tried the last tactic someone on another site mentioned(backing up and letting him throw some projectiles, then doing the Superman routine) and that didn't work. Any way I try it he ALWAYS catches me and I'm annihilated in short order.:roll:

Ed Boon can kiss my ass. Not even the MK ladder Shao Kahn was this big of a pain in the fuckin' ass.

I am loving this game. It's like a throwback to classic Mortal Kombat games but still keeping it new and fun. Also I like that they have almost every character from the MK Trilogy game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh ffs. I'm still stuck on Shao Kahn on story mode. I've tried teleporting behind him to do the 'superman' thing. I've tried jumping over him to get behind him and hit an uppercut repeatedly. I've even tried comboing him to no avail.

Then again I never play as Raiden to beat the game and I was usually able to spam super moves with Liu Kang or whoever to get him in prior games.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time with Raiden. But a couple nights ago, my brother and I did tag team ladder on expert and I had very little difficulty messing up Kahn with Kung Lao. When he's raising up his hammer to throw/smash or throwing his spear, I would teleport when he was in mid-special. then begin my assault. Or if he taunted, I wouldn't waste any time on him. His Xray is a bitch though and some of his moves can be blocked, like his shoulder charge. But watch out if you're trying to predict his moves, I did the same and usually got hit by his damn hammer. :whistle2:#

Just got this delivered today...started playing and the gameplay is sweeet!! just waiting for the psn to be back up, hopefully the online gameplay is fixed.....never was a fan of johny cage but he's kicks some serious ass in this game!!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Alright. Just like GTA I'm taking a wait and see approach on the next MK game. This last battle against Shao Kahn in story mode is still being a major league pain in my ass and I have officially given up on the damned game.

I've tried jumping behind and uppercutting. I've tried teleporting behind and doing the 'Superman'. I've tried comboing him with an easy to do triangle combo that pops him into the air. I even tried the last tactic someone on another site mentioned(backing up and letting him throw some projectiles, then doing the Superman routine) and that didn't work. Any way I try it he ALWAYS catches me and I'm annihilated in short order.:roll:

Ed Boon can kiss my ass. Not even the MK ladder Shao Kahn was this big of a pain in the fuckin' ass.[/QUOTE]

Lol, took me over 30 tries. Blah.
I constantly did the Superman move from mid to far away. I wouldn't even walk. Supermanning in mid-air will get Shao to start a move (shadow move or projectile) by the time you land, his back is turned away from you. Do another superman into his back.

I repeatedly did that and got it eventually.
Oh, and do the X-ray as soon as you get it filled.

good luck!

[quote name='defmonkey05']I have a hard time with Raiden. But a couple nights ago, my brother and I did tag team ladder on expert and I had very little difficulty messing up Kahn with Kung Lao. When he's raising up his hammer to throw/smash or throwing his spear, I would teleport when he was in mid-special. then begin my assault. Or if he taunted, I wouldn't waste any time on him. His Xray is a bitch though and some of his moves can be blocked, like his shoulder charge. But watch out if you're trying to predict his moves, I did the same and usually got hit by his damn hammer. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Kahn's X-Ray is a major pain in the ass as it'll take easily 1/2 to 3/4 of your health bar in about 20 seconds.:whistle2:#

I kept getting hit by his hammer throw and Raiden was just constantly stunned the one match from it, so he annihilated me easily then.
[quote name='Average Gamer']Lol, took me over 30 tries. Blah.
I constantly did the Superman move from mid to far away. I wouldn't even walk. Supermanning in mid-air will get Shao to start a move (shadow move or projectile) by the time you land, his back is turned away from you. Do another superman into his back.

I repeatedly did that and got it eventually.
Oh, and do the X-ray as soon as you get it filled.

good luck![/QUOTE]
I kept getting nervous when I'd go to uppercut him from behind and accidentally kept doing normal punches instead of uppercuts on Kahn.:whistle2:# Although a few times I got him to start a cycle where he would just taunt or do a projectile move and I hit the Superman move from mid distance repeatedly on him. But getting that cycle to start was a pain.:cry: I figure eventually I'll get him, but damn this last battle is a pain for someone like me who's used to using Sub-Zero 90-95% of the time.

just put it on beginner already. you probably did ladder on beginner which is why it seemed easier. if youre getting nervous and messing up the moves, that isnt boons fault. there are plenty of youtube vids to show how you can beat him, just watch them and do what they do.

[quote name='8bitArtist']just put it on beginner already. you probably did ladder on beginner which is why it seemed easier. if youre getting nervous and messing up the moves, that isnt boons fault. there are plenty of youtube vids to show how you can beat him, just watch them and do what they do.[/QUOTE]I have watched the videos on YouTube and some of the people just combo the shit out of him. I'm lucky if I can get 1-2 hit combos in once every third or fourth attempt to jump over him.

I don't remember Kahn doing quite so many special moves in prior games and/or being able to beat him simply by doing jump kicks to keep knocking him down.

I did do the ladder on beginner, but then again I always play my games on beginner or easy for a first runthrough. I think I even put the story mode on beginner as well and he's still kicking my ass. I figured by losing 3-4 matches in story mode against him that it'd ramp it DOWN but he seems like he's doing the same shit every time.

[quote name='wwe101']hey does this game have a 3rd person adventure type of mode like deception did?[/QUOTE]
I really wish it did. I loved Shujinko's story in Deception.

[quote name='FactionG']Maybe I'm in the minority group but I am not liking this game at all. I was all over the original trilogy in the 90s though.[/QUOTE]

No the game at least in my opinion is cheap (or atleast S. Khan is). After playing through the game with all the characters and beating the tower I was sick of it. The game is fun and it brings back a lot of Nostalgia but in the end I still prefer the Capcom fighters a lot more.

[quote name='bjstucker']No the game at least in my opinion is cheap (or atleast S. Khan is). After playing through the game with all the characters and beating the tower I was sick of it. The game is fun and it brings back a lot of Nostalgia but in the end I still prefer the Capcom fighters a lot more.[/QUOTE]

why? i hate new capcom fighting games cause they charge money for costumes and super duper hyper editions with two new characters

[quote name='maxim2boobles']why? i hate new capcom fighting games cause they charge money for costumes and super duper hyper editions with two new characters[/QUOTE]

WTH? He is referring to the core mechanics of the game which isn't as polished as the infamous capcom series, which I agree. What does DLC have to do with anything in regards to that? Besides, MK team is gonna charge for costume swaps as well in the future. Ya didn't know? :roll:

[quote name='bjstucker']No the game at least in my opinion is cheap (or atleast S. Khan is). After playing through the game with all the characters and beating the tower I was sick of it. The game is fun and it brings back a lot of Nostalgia but in the end I still prefer the Capcom fighters a lot more.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Kahn spams the power moves like crazy, which is why I can't seem to beat his ass in the story mode. Yet in MK II I could beat him only using jump kicks that were timed right.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. Kahn spams the power moves like crazy, which is why I can't seem to beat his ass in the story mode. Yet in MK II I could beat him only using jump kicks that were timed right.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I recall MK II, he did the same shadow move over and over... It was a beast to beat him as well. To be honest, all the Shao's have been cheap.

[quote name='Average Gamer']I recall MK II, he did the same shadow move over and over... It was a beast to beat him as well. To be honest, all the Shao's have been cheap.[/QUOTE]
I remember very distinctly spamming the quick jump kick(up diagonally on the d-pad and whatever low kick was) and beating him with no trouble whatsoever.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I remember very distinctly spamming the quick jump kick(up diagonally on the d-pad and whatever low kick was) and beating him with no trouble whatsoever.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Lol. I was young at the time. Hand and eye coordination was not up to par as today. =P

Don't get me wrong. I'd get my ass handed to me when trying to play against Shao Kahn in the arcades back then. That's why I use the d-pad on my controller when playing this game, since I always screw up the moves when using the stick.:razz:

I had my first Kahn fight last night. It was the "end" of Mortal Kombt 2 where you fight him as Liu Kang. The only problem is I'm horrible as Liu Kang.

I ended up beating him basically by spamming the bicycle kick and the drop kick. I think there's a "sweet spot" where he's programmed to taunt instead of attack so I was trying to drop into that area after every kick I did on him as he was getting up.

The thing about Kahn is that he seems to be, more than any other character, very pattern based in his attacks. If you're in close he does the hammer strike, if you start jumping or you're a little further out he does that annoying shoulder check, etc.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit more but I really wish Rare would come back with another Killer Instinct. I remember those games always being a blast at the arcades.

lol I still remember when you did Orchids Fatality. She would show her boobs to her opponnent and they would die ahh being a 12yr old all over again wishing I could see Polygon boobs

Love the new MK.

Maining up Smoke right now but seriously thinking of taking up either Jade or Kano. Jade has some serious combos and Kano has some crazy potential with that canon ball.

[quote name='bjstucker']Sorry to derail the thread a bit more but I really wish Rare would come back with another Killer Instinct. I remember those games always being a blast at the arcades.[/QUOTE]

O snaps! I remember seeing that 5 sec Killer Instinct clip at the end of the Donkey Kong Country VHS Nintendo sent me. I went :shock:. It's sad that RARE is gone...

finally finished the story mode last nite...i lost the final battle about 20 times with raiden...i figured out that its best to use raiden's teleport instead of jumpin over khan....

the jumpin strategy works well with other players against khan but with raiden i kept gettin killed..as soon as i used the teleport/uppercut method i beat him pretty quickly

scorpion and kitana r my my favs rite now...cant wait to take them online :D

[quote name='maxim2boobles']why? i hate new capcom fighting games cause they charge money for costumes and super duper hyper editions with two new characters[/QUOTE]

MK9 is about to release 2 new costumes and characters. It was on the front page of shoryuken for over a week and of course when I go to find it they move it. Anyway, this is the world we live in now. Companies putting out incomplete games and charging us an arm and a leg to get the missing pieces are just going to become more and more frequent. /wrists

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']MK9 is about to release 2 new costumes and characters. It was on the front page of shoryuken for over a week and of course when I go to find it they move it. Anyway, this is the world we live in now. Companies putting out incomplete games and charging us an arm and a leg to get the missing pieces are just going to become more and more frequent. /wrists[/QUOTE]

But I have to say, even with Online stripped right now, there is still a lot to do in the game, singleplayer wise or two-player if you have a friend. I'm still working through the challenge tower and having a helluva time with number 300. Damn Mileena is cheap. :roll:

But I wouldn't mind new costumes or characters. If they plan to release all the preorder dlc costumes, they should make those free. Since there's about 7 of 'em. Or charge a cheap price for the bundle. And I'd love to see Rain as a playable character or the three bosses playable for offline battles. Just so you can show how cheap they really are. ;)

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']MK9 is about to release 2 new costumes and characters.[/QUOTE]

I'm OK with DLC characters. I'd much rather pay $10 for DLC costumes and 2 new characters, than pay $40 for a whole new game with 4 new characters every 16 months or so.

fighting games are practically a hobby by themselves, it's much easier to justify paying for small expansions compared to other games. people never seem to consider how much value a fighter gives them.

granted, there are people who simply buy street fighter games to play arcade mode. sucks for them.

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']MK9 is about to release 2 new costumes and characters. It was on the front page of shoryuken for over a week and of course when I go to find it they move it. Anyway, this is the world we live in now. Companies putting out incomplete games and charging us an arm and a leg to get the missing pieces are just going to become more and more frequent. /wrists[/QUOTE]

I hate that business model myself as a consumer, but its not surprising that they do this. With the internet evolving in to gaming world, it was just a matter of time for companies to start taking full advantage of micro transactions. It should be no surprise anymore.

Either way, having Kenshi and Skarlett will be two good additions to the roster. That said.....

i do hope they go through with releasing Tanya. No way she is just background fodder being tied in chains with that such an intricate design.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Does anyone know if this has matchmaking so you're paired up with players of similar skill?[/QUOTE]

i dunno. I gave it go letting it look for me a match up and i got paired up with a guy who is 0/1 but i was 1/1.

Just go in to rooms play king of the hill or challenge opponents. Thats what i did.

Just replaced my buttons and joystick on the PDP TE. These are definitely not Suzo Happ. These are a cheap knock off of a cheap product.

IL joystick and buttons make a world of difference. If anyone has the TE. go to Lizardlick and replace your buttons and joystick. you wont regret it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i dunno. I gave it go letting it look for me a match up and i got paired up with a guy who is 0/1 but i was 1/1.

Just go in to rooms play king of the hill or challenge opponents. Thats what i did.

Just replaced my buttons and joystick on the PDP TE. These are definitely not Suzo Happ. These are a cheap knock off of a cheap product.

IL joystick and buttons make a world of difference. If anyone has the TE. go to Lizardlick and replace your buttons and joystick. you wont regret it.[/QUOTE]

I would but I don't own it. I would buy it if it has matchmaking but wouldn't if it doesn't because I suck at fighting games.

[quote name='defmonkey05']This is why Online Passes are epic fail.

I could try the free trial for the two days, but that'd only be a taste.[/QUOTE]

I already used the 2 days before it went down and can't redeem my pass. I'll have to wait till the store finally comes back.

[quote name='jman619']I already used the 2 days before it went down and can't redeem my pass. I'll have to wait till the store finally comes back.[/QUOTE]

I used the two day and oh my god the lag is unbearable. They need to fix something with that so it'll be as smooth as singleplayer. :roll:

bread's done
Back