Mortal Kombat movie test shoot and it looks... awesome?

Not a bad preview. IMDB has a Mortal Kombat listed for 2013 but nothing with Michael Jai White. Interesting.

wow that looked badass, i'm glad they took a realistic twist on the characters instead of random spears coming out of their arms, but i'm kinda of skeptical on how they're gonna make ice come out of sub-zero's hands look realistic.

now that's Mortal Kombat
you just can't always stay truthful to the original material if you want to adapt games/comics into films

Looks cool, I don't follow the latest MKs but does Baraka have dreads in the newer MK games or has he been hanging out with the new Bionic Commando?

[quote name='Ugamer_X']You some kind of idiot?[/QUOTE]

Shut up, stupid.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Looks great, the movie has potential. But this is def a fan made movie, despite the quality. Much like the popular Batman vs. Alien vs Predator movie,[/QUOTE]

Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan aren't just going to star in a fan made movie for Youtube.

It might be a series of videos to hype up a new MK game or something, but I'm sure it's legit.

It's most likely a teaser for the new game, since the designers have mentioned in the past that they have been planning to reboot the franchise with a more realistic setting.

Hmmm. Interesting but I am going to leave my skeptical shield up. Taking a realistic approach to this is risky but I do enjoy the how brutal it looks.

Why not? The best advertising nowadays are through the internet, and if this is fan made or made in-hype for a new game, I'm sure those actors wouldn't mind getting some attention. Hell it might even boost their career and get them more movie roles.

It's legit for sure, but for what a movie reboot? Who knows. Maybe they're just testing the waters to see how much attention this little short film garners, and then maybe there will be talks of a movie reboot. Which I hope happens ;)

The only reason why I said that this could be just a fan made movie is because it borrowed a few things from different sources, for example the theme music from the first Resident Evil movie (who in turn directed the original MK, easter egg! :bouncy:) is used when they first showed Jax (door scene) and the baby reptile scene was taken from a popular alien baby internet video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFcH0srTRU

[quote name='Trakan']
Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan aren't just going to star in a fan made movie for Youtube.

It might be a series of videos to hype up a new MK game or something, but I'm sure it's legit.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't watch that with sound atm, but it looks sick. I might be the only one who liked the 2 original movies, but this more realistic setting looks like it could work very well.

I'm a sucker for anything MK, so whether this is legit, fan-made, for a movie, for a game, whatever - it's pretty awesome.

I liked the original storyline from the games just fine - for all the flaws it had as a game series compared to stuff like Street Fighter, it always had the best storyline of any fighting game series, hands down.

Although Midway did say Armageddon was pretty much the end of the franchise storyline as-is and they'd be starting over...if this is real, maybe this is the first step towards that.

[quote name='Trakan']Shut up, stupid.

It might be a series of videos to hype up a new MK game or something, but I'm sure it's legit.[/QUOTE]

thats seems the more likely possibility. maybe trying to reboot the game franchise with story elements to bring it into a new era. if they actually have real 3d fighting id give it a go but as of now i havent played a really great or worthwhile fighter in a long time. still waiting for fighting games to go to the next level.

although i was impressed with how naruto ultimate ninja storm played alot like the cartoon.

wow so the alien baby thing is real man the shit you see on youtube i love it lol. especially that alabama leprechaun video.

Im very skeptical, but it was pretty well made. I follow the thinking that its hype for a new game though since movie trailers arent 8 min and if it was a movie that far into production, Im sure someone woulda heard of it by now. One things for sure, they are following the tenents of good viral marketing. Keep everyone wondering...

Very cool. I'm guessing it's for a game as well, but a more realistic setting could be a very good move for the franchise, be it in games or in a potential film (if they made this one I'd watch it).

Expect to see this again at E3. This is obviously promo for the next game.

[quote name='TheRock88']Looks fan made with some famous actors.[/QUOTE]
Yeah cause fan-movies are just full of famous actors.

The only reason why I said that this could be just a fan made movie is because it borrowed a few things from different sources, for example the theme music from the first Resident Evil movie (who in turn directed the original MK, easter egg! :bouncy:) is used when they first showed Jax (door scene) and the baby reptile scene was taken from a popular alien baby internet video.
You didn't say it "could" be fan-made. You said "this is def a fan made movie." Which it isn't. The RE music thing means nothing. Pre-existing music from movies gets licensed and re-used all the time. Just how many times has that song from Requiem for a Dream been used in different movie trailers?

Right I did said "def" >,< but I'd like to retract that and change it to "could" XD

Regarding the music, I didn't know it was so popular, nonetheless it still could be in relation to the first RE movie since there is some kind of connection between the two.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
You didn't say it "could" be fan-made. You said "this is def a fan made movie." Which it isn't. The RE music thing means nothing. Pre-existing music from movies gets licensed and re-used all the time. Just how many times has that song from Requiem for a Dream been used in different movie trailers?[/QUOTE]

This would be kind of the next logical step forward, rather than using the digitized sprites like the original, hire name actors and use their likenesses/voices for the character models. Use that sweet sweet Warner Brothers money as much as they can.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Regarding the music, I didn't know it was so popular,[/QUOTE]

It's not really particularly "popular." Film music, from films of all sorts of different levels of obscurity or popularity, gets recycled all the time.

I mean, that The Last Guardian trailer that everyone loves so much? That music is from the old Coen brothers movie, Miller's Crossing, which (unfortunately) isn't exactly a blockbuster that everyone has seen.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']That was fucking stupid. Did a 10 year old write the dialogue?[/QUOTE]
Dude. It's Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat. Of course everything about it sounds like something a teenage boy would come up with.

The Reptile scene was just.. brutal. Looks interesting though.

But regardless what it is, I really liked the first movie anyway.

I kept thinking that was Kano sitting at the table there for a bit and they were gonna fade out at the end of the trailer with his red eye jewel glowing in the darkness.

But what the hell is with Hollywood doing so many 'reboots' and 'reimaginings' anymore. I understand they know some of the American public are a dumb bunch of backward assholes who like familiarity and seeing the same shit over and over, but for fuck's sake is it THAT hard to come up with something ORIGINAL?:roll:

Wipe your drool off the floor. Honestly, quality wise, it's not the far off given that Dead End was made a 7 years ago.

[quote name='DV8']lol at comparing that to the batman dead end movie just lol.[/QUOTE]

lol at your ignorance. You do know that Batman Dead End was made 7 years ago right? I think it's comparable given it's age, so wipe your drool off the floor.

[quote name='DV8']lol at comparing that to the batman dead end movie just lol.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I kept thinking that was Kano sitting at the table there for a bit and they were gonna fade out at the end of the trailer with his red eye jewel glowing in the darkness.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I thought, till that dude got all impaledz in his throat.

Does this mean that Scorpion's the main character now? I was kind of hoping it'd be spread even. And what the fuck is with Baraka? That's...not what Baraka looks like. Yeah, I know it's not going to be dead-on, but that wasn't even close.

And walking like an animal? ...Really?

[quote name='Interstella 5555']lol at your ignorance. You do know that Batman Dead End was made 7 years ago right? I think it's comparable given it's age, so wipe your drool off the floor.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because since then, they've invented rubber costumes, realistic animatronics and film quality? This has professional written all over it. The other movie was obviously fan-made.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']And what the fuck is with Baraka? That's...not what Baraka looks like. Yeah, I know it's not going to be dead-on, but that wasn't even close.

And walking like an animal? ...Really?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with their version of Baraka in the movie. They gave him a weird background - a plastic surgeon turned psychopathic killer all because he wasn't cut out to be one (no pun intended)? Even by Mortal Kombat standards thats laughable. And I understand Baraka is a hard character to recreate in a movie, but he just looks like something out of star trek.

With this I'm starting to think they're going with the Dark Knight route and have everything be a realistic as they can be as oppose to being a supernatural fantasy. I mean even Shang Tsung looks like a Yakuza boss lol.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, because since then, they've invented rubber costumes, realistic animatronics and film quality? This has professional written all over it. The other movie was obviously fan-made.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnuieg_5QCU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTb4oPBjJdA

One hell of a fan made movie eh?

You idiots who think there is any possibility of this being fan/amateur made can please shut the fuck up now:
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/mo...hard-r-mk-movie-you-ve-been-waiting-for-10164

This was a test short made by commission at Warner Bros, as a pitch for funding a full-fledged Mortal Kombat film reboot. It was directed by Kevin Tancharoen, with fight choreography by Larnell Stovall, and featured an all-pro cast or actors and martial artists including Michael Jai White, Jeri Ryan, Lateef Crowder, Ian Anthony Dale, Matt Mullins.

Note that this is not a trailer for this hypothetical film. It's a test short. The final movie may not have anything to do with this short.

I just want to know where John Claude Van Damme and that big asian dude is. This movie is a straight up remake of Bloodsport.

The second time I watched it I realized it's not as great as I thought at first. They just took away everything that made MK awesome. There's no fantasy left. Are they even going to have super powers? Does Outland exist? Is anything in this supernatural? This is the problem with The Dark Knight, now everyone thinks all movies have to be gritty real world shit and not fun special effects filled fantasies.

bread's done
Back