Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter

[quote name='dafoomie']Its not that I don't like Capcom, I love them both. I just like SNK more.[/quote]

Yeah, I've gained a new respect for SNK recently. I just don't know if anything can top SFIII in my book. That game is just so damn perfect.

I'm glad that this is no contest. I think the Mortal Kombat series is fun, but after I get each new game in the series, I play it for a couple of weeks. Watch all of the fatalities and then get bored with it. I have yet to get sick of a Street Fighter (except some of the earlier II versions, I just played them so very much).

SNK did really impress me with with Art of Fightings zooming in and out. SNK always seemed more 'hard core' thank Capcom fighters, but the Capcom games were more popular in arcades, so you could find a better opponent since more people were familiar with the style of gameplay.

SF tops MK every time in my mind. Hands down. But then again I don't think either of them can touch Virtua Fighter or Soul Caliber. I just prefer the 3D. This may be because I don't completely suck at 3D fighters, while I'm pretty sketchy at the 2D games.

Hmm all this talk makes me want to pick up Street Fighter Anniversary collection now. Maybe I'll get it when it comes out on the Box.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='dafoomie']Its not that I don't like Capcom, I love them both. I just like SNK more.[/quote]

Yeah, I've gained a new respect for SNK recently. I just don't know if anything can top SFIII in my book. That game is just so damn perfect.[/quote]

If you liked SF 3, try Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (if you haven't already). Me and my friends played alot of SF 3, but then I introduced them to Mark of the Wolves, and we play that religously now. I belive it's coming out on PS2 soon. Anyways it's very polished and smooth animation just like SF 3. I just think their characters, and moves are more original than SF 3's. Like Gato, he's a pimp.

All games taken into account, I'm going with the SF series. But on an individual basis, MK1 and 2 were my favs.

i like MK too, but anyone who says MK is better than SF probably sucks at fighting games in general.

i think what we should really ask is: what's the best fighting game ever? snk games are really fun, but i'm not sure that any of them are contenders. in my opinion, nothing tops sf3 third strike. extremely refined, topping a franchise that's been around for 15 years. this is pretty much street fighter at a peak. very refined system, extremely precise... my only problem with third strike is the tiering system that pretty much defines the common characters on the tourney scene. ken/chun/yun: pick 2 of the three and you're looking at the final match. but it's okay, cuz this happens with almost every fighting game.

[quote name='cyberlian']fatalities? brutalities? ridiculous moves? I get more satisfaction out of MK[/quote]

You get more instantaneous satisfaction out of MK, but it grows old very fast. THere is little to no depth to MK games, even with the latest entries to the series. Meanwhile, people are still finding new combos and techniques for Capcom and SNK games that are well over 6 years old.

Street Fighter is way better than MK. I still go to the DC for some Alpha 3 time. The only MK I own is MKII.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='cyberlian']fatalities? brutalities? ridiculous moves? I get more satisfaction out of MK[/quote]

You get more instantaneous satisfaction out of MK, but it grows old very fast. THere is little to no depth to MK games, even with the latest entries to the series. Meanwhile, people are still finding new combos and techniques for Capcom and SNK games that are well over 6 years old.[/quote]
True... I've never been someone who could play MK for over 30 min, but in small amounts it's still a lot of fun... I also give the MK characters the edge over the SF characters in terms of orginality... also, I liked the MK movies much better than the Street Fighter movie...

[quote name='cyberlian'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='cyberlian']fatalities? brutalities? ridiculous moves? I get more satisfaction out of MK[/quote]

You get more instantaneous satisfaction out of MK, but it grows old very fast. THere is little to no depth to MK games, even with the latest entries to the series. Meanwhile, people are still finding new combos and techniques for Capcom and SNK games that are well over 6 years old.[/quote]
True... I've never been someone who could play MK for over 30 min, but in small amounts it's still a lot of fun...[/quote]

Uh I guess I'm different then. I played it for about 3-4 hours straight on Saturday.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='cyberlian'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='cyberlian']fatalities? brutalities? ridiculous moves? I get more satisfaction out of MK[/quote]

True... I've never been someone who could play MK for over 30 min, but in small amounts it's still a lot of fun...[/quote]

Uh I guess I'm different then. I played it for about 3-4 hours straight on Saturday.[/quote]
(To clarify about the 30 min limit) I am refering to the older games now that I've already played through them; I'm mainly talking about replay value...

Of course Street Fighter is better - it is was more refined. There are TONS of Street Fighter games! I'm probably missing some but you get the idea - there have been only a handful of MK games by comparison...

Street Fighter
Street Fighter II - Hyper Fighting
Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
Street Fighter II - Champion Edition
Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX Plus
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Street Fighter: The Movie

Also, other similar Capcom fighters fit the same general mold:
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes
Dark Stalkers: The Night Warriors
Night Warriors: Dark Stalkers' Revenge
Vampire Savior: The Lord Of Vampire
Vampire Savior 2: The Lord Of Vampire
Capcom Vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000
Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark Of The Millennium 2001

[quote name='guyver2077']http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111245.html

yes cant wait!!!![/quote]

Haha, this worked out real well last time...

MK just happened to be much more brutal. If mk one didn't have the blood and the fatalities it wouldn't be half as good.. but its unfair to say that since no other game before had such violence. I still go with
street fighter alpha 3.. it is one of the best fighting games ever inmo.

I have to give the MK series some points because they added a lot of replay value with Puzzle Kombat. :)

But when it comes down to it, playing MK is memorizing dial-a-combos and random-alities but SF is all about skill.

[quote name='magilacudy']
But when it comes down to it, playing MK is memorizing dial-a-combos and random-alities but SF is all about skill.[/quote]

Wouldn't you say they kind of nerfed the whole dial-a-combos thing by adding in the combobreaker thing in Deception

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Wouldn't you say they kind of nerfed the whole dial-a-combos thing by adding in the combobreaker thing in Deception[/quote]

Well if your opponent only tries a combo 3 times and gives up, yes. Otherwise, no.

Street Fighter is definitely the winner of this one, but I think Mortal Kombat is doing more with the series than SF has in recent years. They should make a Street Fighter that is free roaming (like Bushido Blade) or at least stop limiting the series to cross over games.

Mortal Kombat has a raw feel to it; it lacks gameplay but the feeling of finishing off an oppenent with finishers just feels dirty while having a big smile on your face :D . Street fighter has gameplay and the challenge of executing the special moves makes it a rewarding and fun game. I like both games in their own ways but overall I would choose street fighter because I like the sweet animation. :wink:

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='magilacudy']
But when it comes down to it, playing MK is memorizing dial-a-combos and random-alities but SF is all about skill.[/quote]

Wouldn't you say they kind of nerfed the whole dial-a-combos thing by adding in the combobreaker thing in Deception[/quote]

RedvsBlue: No they kinda nerfed the KB thing by limiting it to 3 KBs per match (ie 2 rounds).

Magiculdy: SF all about skill?! :lol: that's nostagia for you. Memorizing Combo's is also the basis of nearly every capcom fighter, SF is no exception. Just try and use "skill" against someone who has memorized and perfected their character, no amount of "skill" would prevent you from getting your ass handed to you.

As far as gameplay is concerned they're both equal. The only reason I picked MK over SF is because of it's presentation, simply put, no fighter can match the presentation of the MK series. Besides that, I've been an MK fan since I was 8, so yes, I'm a bit biased :)

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='magilacudy']

RedvsBlue: No they kinda nerfed the KB thing by limiting it to 3 KBs per match (ie 2 rounds).

Magiculdy: SF all about skill?! :lol: that's nostagia for you. Memorizing Combo's is also the basis of nearly every capcom fighter, SF is no exception. Just try and use "skill" against someone who has memorized and perfected their character, no amount of "skill" would prevent you from getting your ass handed to you.

As far as gameplay is concerned they're both equal. The only reason I picked MK over SF is because of it's presentation, simply put, no fighter can match the presentation of the MK series. Besides that, I've been an MK fan since I was 8, so yes, I'm a bit biased :)[/quote]

I think I wrote this elsewhere in the thread...the SF combos are based on frames of animation. Actually, in SF2, the combos weren't designed into the game, the developers admitied it just 'happened'. Those had to be exact timing, cross over kicks, you had to do the moves at the precise moments. With MK, it is like playing that game Simon. You just bang out the pattern, regardless of what is going on in the game. No timing involved, just punch in a series of buttons.

bread's done
Back