Most amount you spent on 1 game.

Cartridges should be, i mean it is basically like buying a memory card with each game, i personally think charging 70 bucks for them was fair, but now i think that charging 50 bucks for a dvd is insane, and i know they have to pay for devoloping costs, but i still think it is outrageous.

I paid $575 for Garou: Mark of the Wolves for Neo Geo. The more rare US version.

And before you call me stupid... I also sold it 6 months later for $650. So I gained $75 AND got to play a great fighter to death for half a year.

I think I was about 22 years old at the time, so still fairly young. And not stupid (at least not for that reason)!

All you people are friggin nuts. I thought paying $50 for any game was insane and you guys are coughing up $400+ for one game?? I mean dont get me wrong, Ive paid stupid amounts of money for some stupid things, but not one video game! This thread is very enlightening.

[quote name='grayghost81']All you people are friggin nuts. I thought paying $50 for any game was insane and you guys are coughing up $400+ for one game?? I mean dont get me wrong, Ive paid stupid amounts of money for some stupid things, but not one video game! This thread is very enlightening.[/quote]

Depends on your point of view really. I don't deny spending that much moolah on games is stupid, after all, this is CAG, not FSG (Frivolous Spending Gamer).

But I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't have any other habits or hobbies that cost alot of money, so it isn't all that bad. Imagine that, going out to a bar and have a few drinks with friends can easily cost you $50 here in the city (NYC). Probably more if you get the munchies. That's $50 you will never see again. I can still hug my Neo Geo games. Hehe, lame I know. Actually, they have decent resale value (Like Garou Mark of the Wolves above). I should sell mine and make $400 profit on it! ;)

people who own Neo games do not deserve to be cracked on. Many of the games can sell for very high and I have to commend anyone who buys legit SNK carts

How about $200 for Dale Earnhart's Indy 500 Heat? Do arcade games count? I got it one Summer from a convenience store that put a for sale sign on the game.

[quote name='xzafixz']Cartridges should be, i mean it is basically like buying a memory card with each game, i personally think charging 70 bucks for them was fair, but now i think that charging 50 bucks for a dvd is insane, and i know they have to pay for devoloping costs, but i still think it is outrageous.[/quote]

Well, if you really think about it direct-to-video movies, I bet, cost just as much, if not more, than video games do to make. And the movies are all in the $10-$20 price range. Most of them are making a profit, too. Just look at those Olsen Twins. When was the last time, besides just recently, have they made a movie that wasnt direct-to-video, and they are already millionaires?

Basically what I'm saying is, that if all games were at the DVD-norm price at $15-$20, they would sell a helluva lot more copies than they are right now. But if consumers keep forking over the $50 for each new game, there is no way in hell the video-game industry will ever lower its prices.

And why would they? They are out to make money and if we continue to make them that huge amount of money, they will keep their prices the same.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='xzafixz']Cartridges should be, i mean it is basically like buying a memory card with each game, i personally think charging 70 bucks for them was fair, but now i think that charging 50 bucks for a dvd is insane, and i know they have to pay for devoloping costs, but i still think it is outrageous.[/quote]

Well, if you really think about it direct-to-video movies, I bet, cost just as much, if not more, than video games do to make. And the movies are all in the $10-$20 price range. Most of them are making a profit, too. Just look at those Olsen Twins. When was the last time, besides just recently, have they made a movie that wasnt direct-to-video, and they are already millionaires?

Basically what I'm saying is, that if all games were at the DVD-norm price at $15-$20, they would sell a helluva lot more copies than they are right now. But if consumers keep forking over the $50 for each new game, there is no way in hell the video-game industry will ever lower its prices.

And why would they? They are out to make money and if we continue to make them that huge amount of money, they will keep their prices the same.[/quote]

ive had a ps2 for 3 years and have paid full price for 4 games

ffx, war of the monsters, arc the lad, and culdcept

yeah its all about being a cheapass. paying full price is so over rated.

there are a good number of games (id say 10 or 15) that i paid 30 for, but i only bought those 4 at msrp, and only one of those wasnt 40 =oD

I have proabably bought most of my GCN games at full price but my other systems I am a cheapass on. I just have to have Zelda, Mario, Snake, and Samus on the first day

i buy all my cube games at crazy low prices!

i got the cube for 40$ in a matrix scam
i got a 251 mem card (mad catz) for 10$
freeloader from gamestop for $2.50
i got animal crossing AND ssbm for $25 on black friday
metroid prime PO at blockbuster for $9
resident evil 0 po at blockbuster for $7
REmake from big dirty for $12
star wars bonus disc for $5
windwaker priced wrong PO at blockbuster for $10
pac man vs. i traded a 1 cent cc xbox combo
skies of arcadia and luigi i got in a trade, which i traded some xbox live cards i got for free, so...free =oD
Zelda collection i got when someone here was nice enough to give me the final code i needed (i then susbscribed to nintendo power for another, but thats gunna stay sealed for a while ^^)
and i got a wave bird at a thrift shop for $5

so a gamecube, 2 controllers, a memory card, region free disc and 11 games totals: ~$125.00

umm yes and no, it can work, but its a huge risk

i did it twice and once i got the cube and the other time i lost 50$, but i think it was worth it cuz even if i say ii got the cube fore 90 its a decent deal..

[quote name='paean']But I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't have any other habits or hobbies that cost alot of money, so it isn't all that bad. Imagine that, going out to a bar and have a few drinks with friends can easily cost you $50 here in the city (NYC). Probably more if you get the munchies. That's $50 you will never see again. I can still hug my Neo Geo games. Hehe, lame I know. Actually, they have decent resale value (Like Garou Mark of the Wolves above). I should sell mine and make $400 profit on it! ;)[/quote]

I agree, most people I know have some kind of habbit, that takes a toll on their cash. Whether its being lazy, spending cash on clothes, drugs, food, etc.

Like Punq, I rarely pay more than half of retail price for any game. It takes a lot of hype, or something that I really love to buy. If I was out of school and had a better paying job, I would probably drop some cash on some Neo Equipment.

[quote name='punqsux']i may soon be giving in to front mission 4 tho...[/quote] I got the demo yesterday, didn't have time to play it though.

BTW I dropped 50 for Disgaea, because I like SRPGs, and its gotten a lot of praise.... in addition it doesnt seem like its going to drop in price :(

disgaea is a weird one for me, i bought it brand new for 40...while still a high price, i feel thats a deal for such a good game and prolly wont ever go below 50$

[quote name='ZForce']$100 for Phantasy Star 4[/quote]

Firstly, I wanted to reveal my most expensive game was the monumental classic Final Fantasy III (VI), for $73.99, back in the dark ages of the early 90s when game companies could extort the crap out of us and get away with it.

I quoted the PSIV entry above because I wanted to mention how I, somehow, got this game for $29.99, brand new, shortly following its release. The Gods of videogaming must have been smiling on me the evening I happened into my local Wiz (remember those asshats?) and happened to be scanning the racks when I saw it, Phantasy Star IV in all is starriness. And then I saw the big red price tag on it. $29.99. Holy...freaking...crap. I didn't really have even 30 bucks that night but I didn't care, it had to be mine, no matter what. Pimping, whoring, it didn't matter. And I'm glad it is, what a fine game. Worth 100 bucks? Ehhhhhh, the jury's still out on that one.

im sad to say i have you all beat. i spent $2200 for the nintendo world championships cartridge on ebay. the resale value is still about the same (although one went for only $1200 a few weeks ago) but yes i know ill get the "you are crazy and stupid" posts. wait for it.....they're coming

[quote name='World Of Games']im sad to say i have you all beat. i spent $2200 for the nintendo world championships cartridge on ebay. the resale value is still about the same (although one went for only $1200 a few weeks ago) but yes i know ill get the "you are crazy and stupid" posts. wait for it.....they're coming[/quote]

whats that?

btw i spent 900$ on my car..

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='World Of Games']im sad to say i have you all beat. i spent $2200 for the nintendo world championships cartridge on ebay. the resale value is still about the same (although one went for only $1200 a few weeks ago) but yes i know ill get the "you are crazy and stupid" posts. wait for it.....they're coming[/quote]

whats that?

btw i spent 900$ on my car..[/quote]

its a nintendo game thats has three games on it smb, rad racer, and tetris. the game is set up tournament style so that you havge 7 minutes to do the following: get 50 coins in smb, then it warps you to rad racer where you have to complete the first lap then it warps you to tetris where you play for your remaining time. then it totals your score for the whole event. what makes it so expensive was that the cartridge was given away at the nintendo world championships in 1990 where they has this same contest (in which i lost as a 12 year old :( ) they gave away 50 grey carts to the winner of each state and 50 gold carts in a nintendo power contest so as you can see they are very rare. i own a grey one but i have seen the gold ones go on ebay for up to $6000!!

[quote name='Theenternal']BTW how old were you when you lost to the 12 year old?[/quote]

Lost as a 12 year old, not to a 12 year old (although that is also a possibility).

The first BIG purchase that I made was paying $100 for Street Fighter II Champion Edition for the PC engine when it was first released in japan. That price totalled the game, the import adaptor and shipping. Well worth it (at the time).

The most recent HUGE purchase that I made was spending about $180 on Radiant Silvergun. Boy oh Boy was that one worth it too. Painful, but ooh, I like pleasure spiked with pain - Radiant silvergun is my Aeroplane! I'ts my Aeroplane!

I remeber the SNES days.......

$70+Tax for Mario RPG
$90+Tax for Lufia
$80+Tax for Lufia II

BTW: I was like 5 when I got Lufia I. My dad got it for me when I graduated Kindergarten because I rented it because I liked its box...I loved the game after playing it but I mean 90$ is a lot...It was worth it though....

$30 for a used copy of The Sims for PS2. It's a GH game now, but I got it a couple months after it came out, so at the time it was a pretty good deal.

I picked up Capcom vs SNK 2 EO (XB), Animal Crossing, and Viewtiful Joe the other day for $54 after tax, which comes to about 18 bucks a game. I think that's the most my Cheap Ass has ever spend on a game.

bread's done
Back