Most difficult old-school game?

[quote name='Interstella 5555']The original Ghouls 'n Ghost and Super Ghost n' Ghost. Capcom must be pretty sadistic to even sell that to kids.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean Ghosts N Goblins for the NES? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_'n_Goblins

THAT game was mean as hell!

Another one that I loved playing and then almost throwing against the wall was Super Smash TV for the SNES.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']The Space Harrier games.[/QUOTE]

Space Harrier was a lot of fun and fairly easy to beat... it can get crazy at times but still beatable.

[quote name='dothatthing']Haha, cool! I loved Zillion... At the time there weren't many japanese games. My sister and I would play it together in order to keep track of the symbols, we had code words for each one to make it easier to remember. I loved the music for that game, too. I loved the music from all those old-school really hard games. If anyone's looking to get inspired to beat any of these oldies-but-goodies, listening to the chiptunes is a great way to get in the mood, you can find 'em at http://ocremix.org/[/QUOTE]

Back around 1999, when you could find some good stuff on Napster before it became someone's bitch, I clearly remembered some sort of vocal remix to the zillion music in Japanese...even though I can't remember what they were saying, it was very pleasing on the ears....does anyone remember this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Battletoads, especially with two players. We couldn't even beat that ish while cheating with an emulator (that is, saving every second)!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Did you read the title of the thread? We are talking about OLD SCHOOL...NOT YOUR DAMN GEARS OF WAR! Now GTFO!!

100% agreed.

Ghouls and Ghosts :bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]

Hey sorry for the misunderstanding i meant Gears 1 not 2 my bad

I put in another vote for Ghosts n' Goblins.

My grandparents used to take me to the video store every week to rent a game, so I played quite a bit in childhood...and playing GnG that weekend was one of the first truly traumatic experiences of my life.

My nerd rage was so severe I never touched the series again until Maximo came out...and that's only because I wasn't aware of what it was at the time!

Freakin' Capcom.

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom on the NES is really hard. Good luck with the rising lava in 2-2, the cheap Amazon flying fishes in 3-1, and the endless spike pits in 4-1.

Battletoads, its the only game i can recall never finishing.

2010-03-22.jpg

I'd say Metal Slug 3, I can get to the final level with 15 continues on the psp anthology and need every last one just to get through the final boss.

Im going to go old school and say pole position for the 5200. The way you have to hold the controller pad and having to accelerate by pressing the back side buttons while moving the joystick makes the game nearly impossible to even qualify. Maybe i just aint a gamer lol
Im currently stuck on ps2 Contra shattered soldier

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone ever play Soldiers of Fortune: The Chaos Engine for the SNES (I think it came out for the Genesis too) I remember never being able to beat that game when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

I loved the shit out of that game, though, I never beat it either. I never owned it and always had to rent...and I was a poor kid. :cry:

[quote name='Droenixjpn']E.T. You can never beat it.[/QUOTE]

E.T. is totally beatable. In fact, you can beat the whole game in a couple minutes. The questions is... do you want to?

[quote name='trailmix10']...
Im currently stuck on ps2 Contra shattered soldier[/QUOTE]

I realize this is an old-school game thread, but I have to say that Contra: Shattered Soldier ranks right up there with some of the most difficult games I've ever played. After spending a few hours on it, I haven't beaten any one of the levels. Brutal :cool:

[quote name='waxHead']I realize this is an old-school game thread, but I have to say that Contra: Shattered Soldier ranks right up there with some of the most difficult games I've ever played. After spending a few hours on it, I haven't beaten any one of the levels. Brutal :cool:[/QUOTE]

I didn't think that Shattered Soldiers was that hard but in order to play all of the levels in the game you have to get a certain rank average (for a lack of a better term for what it was called but it was a certain %age you had to meet) across most of the levels in order to get some of the later I guess you could say secret levels now that was hard to do :D

I only ever opened up 2 of them IIRC and the one I only actually got to once after trying so many times.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Truth is there's probably some no-name, glitchy, broken POS game out there that is technically the most difficult. [/quote]

that would be Action 52. Almost all the games have some game breaking shit, namely in the way of jumps that are literally impossible to make not far into some games.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']The Space Harrier games, Friday the 13th, Top Gun (I now hate aircraft carriers because of it), TMNT1, Contra (sans the code).[/QUOTE]

I never found the gameplay to be tremendously difficult, the hardest part about Friday the 13th was giving enough of a shit to get to the end, which I've never done.

The arcade version of Gradius 3. Seriously impossible.

If you're used to bullet hell games, you might laugh at Gradius 3 because your hitbox is BIGGER than your ship!

I have yet to get past the 3rd stage. It takes a little bit of luck to get past the 2nd stage and if I die once, I'm done.

I remember when I went to a retro arcade in Japan and I saw that game for 100 yen. It's like handing the arcade operator free money.

I can beat NG for NES easily (usually in 2 continues or less) and I have beaten TMNT before. But screw you, Gradius 3. If it weren't for the SNES version then I think most people would never even see the other levels past Stage 3.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I didn't think that Shattered Soldiers was that hard but in order to play all of the levels in the game you have to get a certain rank average (for a lack of a better term for what it was called but it was a certain %age you had to meet) across most of the levels in order to get some of the later I guess you could say secret levels now that was hard to do :D

I only ever opened up 2 of them IIRC and the one I only actually got to once after trying so many times.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely see how I could beat the levels, but I'm not sure I would really want to at this point. Awesome game, but I don't know how many hours I want to dedicate to beating it...

[quote name='limelight022']Totally Rad and Batman for nes were brutally hard.[/QUOTE]

i loved batman for the nes! i made it all the way to the end, but could never beat the joker.

the ninja gaidens were hard, only ever beat the 2nd one(probably cause it was my favorite)

blaster master got really hard towards the end, never beat that either.

I agree with Battletoads, that game is impossible. I got up to level 10 where you race against that rat looking guy down the level and can't finish that stage.

Castlevania III also, one part where the bricks fall down and you have to jump on them but if you don't jump fast enough or land in the right spot, you will die. Then there is the final boss that is almost impossible. 3 forms of Dracula and if you die you go back to the beginning of the final level. You really need the boomerang or you don't stand a chance.

[quote name='tuffgoi']This one has my vote. Good ol' Genesis.

0jV8Y.png
[/QUOTE]
Contra for genesis is hard? are you shitting me? Ninja Gaiden for nes is harder than any contra series.

[quote name='ctrek3']blaster master got really hard towards the end, never beat that either.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing this game a ton and getting practically nowhere in it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I agree with Battletoads, that game is impossible. I got up to level 10 where you race against that rat looking guy down the level and can't finish that stage.

Castlevania III also, one part where the bricks fall down and you have to jump on them but if you don't jump fast enough or land in the right spot, you will die. Then there is the final boss that is almost impossible. 3 forms of Dracula and if you die you go back to the beginning of the final level. You really need the boomerang or you don't stand a chance.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania III is a matter of learning patterns. This game is very beatable.

Other less-known games I could never beat: Golgo 13's final boss & Castle of Dragon's final boss (did beat once somehow, but never again). I actually enjoyed Castle of Dragon a lot.

Rocket Knight Adventures on hard difficulty I reached the final boss I could not beat him a part of me wants to beat the game once and for all but I have not played the game in years I do not feel like going back memorizing the entire game again just to get to the same point.

[quote name='CGH']Rocket Knight Adventures on hard difficulty I reached the final boss I could not beat him a part of me wants to beat the game once and for all but I have not played the game in years I do not feel like going back memorizing the entire game again just to get to the same point.[/QUOTE]

I beat this game for the first time several months back. It was difficult but beatable after some trial and error. This game is the perfect kind of difficult, not easy, but not impossible.

[quote name='Retom7']Mega Man 9... I loved the previous mega man games (3 especially) but 9 I couldn't even finish the stages let alone the bosses...[/QUOTE]

It's hard but i was able to beat the game.

For playstation I'd say pretty much any of the tomb raiders. Falling into the river and starting all over.

Otherwise I'd say Beavis n Butthead on genesis. Never got the final piece of ticket that I years later youtubed the video to find you get off the principals head.

Also Bubble Bobble NES. I could get through about 50 or 60 rounds but never officially beat it.

I've been playing Castlevania Rondo no Blood on the VC. I got to Death and can't beat him. I get to the part where he shoots giant skulls at you and always mess up and get hit. I'll beat it one day.

Battletoads Battletoad stupid Battletoads.

Also the Dragonlance: Heroes of the Lance game was sadistically hard (didn't hurt that the controls just didn't work half the time)

[quote name='praystation']Ninja Gaiden for nes is harder than any contra series.[/QUOTE]Have you had a chance to play Contra 4?

My votes go for Contra Hard Corps and Target: Earth on the Genesis for being the hardest, at least for that system.

PC- I was stuck in Conquests of Camelot for several years....

[quote name='escapekey']E.T. is totally beatable. In fact, you can beat the whole game in a couple minutes. The questions is... do you want to?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I beat it several times when I was about 7 . . . Haven't played it since though.

And, no, I don't think I want to.

Arcade: Ninja Gaiden (good lord the first level was harder than anything I've ever played; what a waste of a quarter, or should I say many quarters)
NES: Batman (This is the first game I ever remember "losing hope" on. I got to the Joker ONCE and he wrecked me. After that I could never get past his sub-boss so I just gave up)
SNES: Maximum Carnage (This is a real stamina test... Wow. To add insult to injury it has the CRAPPIEST ending ever)
Genesis: Gods (Now this was a very good game, a real grower if you will. The difficulty is only crazy because it has a unique control scheme. Once you give it a chance you realize that it's a really fantastic title)
Turbo Grafx: Victory Run (Honestly, who the hell ever beat this game? It's IMPOSSIBLE)
Playstation: Soviet Strike (Remember this one? If you don't consider yourself lucky)

Do you remember G.I. Joe for arcade? Now THAT was a good deal for your money. You could actually spend a decent amount of time on it for just a quarter.

I managed to beat the Joker once in Batman for NES. Not sure how the hell I did it, but when I went to show my older brother again how I did it, I never could beat him again.

[quote name='ChuckyDJ']For playstation I'd say pretty much any of the tomb raiders. Falling into the river and starting all over.

Otherwise I'd say Beavis n Butthead on genesis. Never got the final piece of ticket that I years later youtubed the video to find you get off the principals head.

Also Bubble Bobble NES. I could get through about 50 or 60 rounds but never officially beat it.[/QUOTE]

You know actually I was able to beat Beavis n Butthead for the Genesis. And seeing how i'm from Richmond, VA I ran into Dave Brockie from GWAR and he and I actually had a talk about that game.

bread's done
Back