Most Frustrating Video Game Moment

jshendel

CAGiversary!
Similar to the "Worst Gaming Moment", but I was curious of your most difficult/frustrating moment in a game. It could the boss you never could beat, a puzzle you could solve, etc.

I have two:
First, Bart Vs. the Space Mutants. There is a level in the mall where you have to jump to the floating magic wands. I still can't do it, and I will never know what lies past there.

Second, Beyond Good and Evil. The final boss where the controls are reversed and you have to hit the boss so many times before he hits you. If he hits you, the count starts over. For some reason, my brain could get things going the right way. I eventually beat him, but it did take many tries.

Beating Maximum Carnage (Genesis). I swear the developers made Carnage far too cheap and so it's really a feat to defeat him (which I somehow did on my last life). I mean, the game itself gets much harder by the end, but Carnage is the hardest part.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Beating Maximum Carnage (Genesis). I swear the developers made Carnage far too cheap and so it's really a feat to defeat him (which I somehow did on my last life). I mean, the game itself gets much harder by the end, but Carnage is the hardest part.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing.

the jumps in the sewer of TMNT for NES, I could never get past them to the roboturtle or whatever it was called, and the one time I did I died on him without thinkin of switchin guys because I was so happy about making the jumps.

Aries in God of War on God difficulty. The game is by no means easy up until him, but the cheapness of the final battles is amazing. The first part is quite easy once you get the hang of it, and I can defeat him in about 15 seconds or so. The hard part comes in the second mode. I think I probably played that part for about 4 hours straight. Once you get past that, it's a bit easier but by no means easy. That second part is just so fucking hard.

Ghosts and Goblins...the whole game. Especially when you get to the boss (Satan or Lucifer or something) and you get the whole "this was just a dream" line

Runner up...Grim Reaper in Castlevania. ugh.

more like just a waste of my fucking time. super ghouls and ghosts wasn't much easier.

[quote name='jshendel']Second, Beyond Good and Evil. The final boss where the controls are reversed and you have to hit the boss so many times before he hits you. If he hits you, the count starts over. For some reason, my brain could get things going the right way. I eventually beat him, but it did take many tries.[/QUOTE]

when i saw the thread title i immediately thought of this. the game itself was so wonderful and the ending was such a letdown.

[quote name='wildnuts02']Ghosts and Goblins...the whole game. Especially when you get to the boss (Satan or Lucifer or something) and you get the whole "this was just a dream" line[/QUOTE]

Whoa.. you actually beat Ghost and Goblins? You're a better gamer than I... that game was and remains one of the most frickin' impossibly difficult games I've ever played. Never could beat it.

I remember the second to last level (I think it was that one) of the original ninja gaiden on the NES was such a bitch that I could never, ever get past it.

I can't remember what level held me up on battletoads - was the snake level after the speeders?

Play almost ANY singles match on Live in Top Spin.

Something is wrong when the majority of the community plays the game based on exploiting glitches.

[quote name='m1lesteg']Play almost ANY singles match on Live in Top Spin.

Something is wrong when the majority of the community plays the game based on exploiting glitches.[/QUOTE]

Please explain, what glitches?

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Beating Maximum Carnage (Genesis). I swear the developers made Carnage far too cheap and so it's really a feat to defeat him (which I somehow did on my last life). I mean, the game itself gets much harder by the end, but Carnage is the hardest part.[/QUOTE]

Yes that game was ridiculous, that last level at the orphanage...wow just wow.

FFX, the chobo dodge ball race thing, you have to complete it to get the ultimate weapon for tidus....spent so many hours perfecting it.

[quote name='Tromack']Aries in God of War on God difficulty. The game is by no means easy up until him, but the cheapness of the final battles is amazing. The first part is quite easy once you get the hang of it, and I can defeat him in about 15 seconds or so. The hard part comes in the second mode. I think I probably played that part for about 4 hours straight. Once you get past that, it's a bit easier but by no means easy. That second part is just so fucking hard.[/QUOTE]

Same game different part.

:Spoiler:

When you "die" and have to fight your way back to the real world. The part just before the end with the spinning columns and the blades made me want to kill the developers. I absolutely despised that part of the game more than any other part of any other game I've ever played.

I can't think of the hardest part, but the Last Boss in Paper Mario: TTYD. That weird ghost Lady with like, 2 lives

[quote name='Apossum']Battletoads Speeder bike level. end of thread.[/QUOTE]

I can do that level in my sleep, but the stupid fucking rat race and the orb race after that level suck ass.

Also Battletoads if frustrating as hell playing co-op. grrrrr

1. Tower of Babel in Xenosaga
2. the touture sceen in MSGS in higher difficult.
3. getting Tidus ulimate weapon in FFX

[quote name='pop311']I can't think of the hardest part, but the Last Boss in Paper Mario: TTYD. That weird ghost Lady with like, 2 lives[/QUOTE]

Agree with that and add the Last Boss in Farcry instinct. I dont know why i had a problem with that piece of crap and the ending sucks.

1) The final boss in Fester's Quest. I was able to routinely breeze through the rest of the game, but it took hours. I would make it to the last boss and lose. No continuing in that game. :bomb:
2) Gain Ground final stage. It was ridiculous. It is another long game with no continues. Me and my friend would go through the game safely picking up every possible character. We get to the final stage with all of the characters and proceed to be wiped out. The final stage was exponentially harder than all of the previous stages. We did this at least a dozen times and have never actually completed the game.

I rushed a bit through FF V (on anthology) and also through Dark Cloud...

for some reason I CAN NOT beat the final boss in EITHER game...SO frustrating...

X-Death OWNS me!

oh yeah. that double headed dragon from castlevania:cotm. did anyone else have extreme trouble beating it?

OP: Word to Beyond Good and Evil. Also, RedvsBlue: Word to God of War. And to the person who got to Aries on God mode: wtf?! It seriously took me like 2 hours to get past that first giant hydra on God mode.

[quote name='assassinX']grand theft auto: vegas mission where you have to get 4 cop bikes -_- took me 2 days to get it mostly by luck[/QUOTE]

That one was kind of tough, I always ran out of time on the 4th bike.

super ghouls and ghost was actually a lot easier on a snes emulator...(w/quick save/load)...but after the later levels i had to give up on it cuz the character just kept dying every time i press the "jump" button. argggh! ironically, i'm trying to beat maximo now...

regarding gta, you just have to find the "trick" to each mission, i guess (i beat san andreas in a good amount of time). either that or get the pc version to make everything a LOT easier :lol:

GTA:SA, that stupid, stupid, stupid Supply Lines mission you had to do for Zero. You would think the idea of killing people with a remote controled airplane would be fun, but.....

[quote name='cycophuk']GTA:SA, that stupid, stupid, stupid Supply Lines mission you had to do for Zero. You would think the idea of killing people with a remote controled airplane would be fun, but.....[/QUOTE]
I hear you. I can never beat this level.

[quote name='mentos888']super ghouls and ghost was actually a lot easier on a snes emulator...(w/quick save/load)...but after the later levels i had to give up on it cuz the character just kept dying every time i press the "jump" button. argggh! ironically, i'm trying to beat maximo now...:[/QUOTE]

That reminds me...when I was a wee lad, I used to play Yie Ar Kung Fu in the arcades. I was able to get all the way to the last character, Blues, but no matter how well I played, I always lost. Always. I'd have his health down to one or two bars and he'd always win.

Fast forward to last year when I decided to try beating him while playing Yie Ar Kung Fu with an emulator and the quick/save load function. I'd hit him once, then save the game. If he hit me, I'd reload the game. This went on for some time until I finally beat him. I was ecstatic! After probably almost 20 years, I had finally beaten Blues! More importantly, what would happen next? A cool ending? A congratulations screen? Confetti falling down from the ceiling and crowds of onlookers cheering my name?

More like starting over from the beginning, fighting that tubby bastard Buchu. Although I appreciated the irony of the situation, I was immeasurably pissed.

For some strange reason, getting tidus' ultimate weapon wasn't that hard for me. I found it just moderate.

Beating the original Ninja Gaiden when I was 14 or 15 (I think) was both frustrating and rewarding. Rewarding only because I can say I've beaten it. Frustrating because...you know why.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Please explain, what glitches?[/QUOTE]

Most people online tend to rely on something called a kick serve, which is basically a physically impossible serve in which the ball travels very slow and bounces really high, almost over your head. What the serve does is for some reason you aren't able to hit a full power return no matter how well-positioned you are, so your opponent can destroy the ball wherever you put it.

Then there's the excessive use of drop shots, which can be used regardless of how hard the ball has been hit, where your opponent just nudges the ball over the net and lobs whatever you return over your head.

Not to mention there's a lot of controlled lag going on, and people who disconnect before getting a loss (most of the time they still do, but some people are able to do something and have it not affect their ranking.)

I also think risk shots are far too easy to use and are used in far too much excess, but that isn't really a glitch as much as a design flaw.

I would agree with NES Ninja Gaiden. I was so happy when I finally beat that game!

Some others that I had a really tough time with were:

Megaman 1 final boss (I think it was Megaman 1 anyway - there was a robot thing that disassembled itself, flung its pieces at you, and the reassembled on the other side. The timing of the jumps was a major bitch).

Super Mario World (SNES) - Some of the Star Road levels - especially the "Mario is a balloon one"

GTA: San Andreas - Supply Lines. Luckily I had heard how damn hard it was so I was prepared and my controllers survived. It took me hours to do it though. Remember, land the plane before shooting at the cars.

That God of War segment with the spinning blades (actually the entire Hades level) made my wish I had 5 minutes alone with whoever designed it, then I changed it to 10 minutes because I didn't think I'd be able to deliver a good enough beating in 5.

[quote name='lebowsky']
Megaman 1 final boss (I think it was Megaman 1 anyway - there was a robot thing that disassembled itself, flung its pieces at you, and the reassembled on the other side. The timing of the jumps was a major bitch).
[/QUOTE]

The only way I could beat that guy was using the SELECT trick. That's impressive that you beat it without it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Same game different part.

:Spoiler:

When you "die" and have to fight your way back to the real world. The part just before the end with the spinning columns and the blades made me want to kill the developers. I absolutely despised that part of the game more than any other part of any other game I've ever played.[/QUOTE]
:wall:

The hit detection on that was so fucked up its not even funny. I'd be at the top and a blade would pass a 6" under my foot and it'd knock me off allllll the way to the fuckin bottom. :bomb:

Bayou Billy... The helicopters always blew me up.

Goonies II... There was a part with a very large gap that you couldn't jump even with super boots and it was the only place to go.

The damn dam in TMNT on the NES. The one time I defused all the bombs I got blown up right outside by some fucking turret in the road.

[quote name='pop311']I can't think of the hardest part, but the Last Boss in Paper Mario: TTYD. That weird ghost Lady with like, 2 lives[/QUOTE]

Yeah my girlfriend got stuck there and never played it again. It's a shame because it's her favorite game ever.

[quote name='2poor']f zero gx. that whole damn game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Although one part that sticks out is beating the "Save Jody" mission in which you have to escape from the tunnel before it all explodes on very hard.

bread's done
Back