Most FUN old-school game (not necessary the BEST)?

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!
What were some of the most fun old-school games that you played that weren't necessarily the best? One for me would be TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES. That's a game that I love to pick up every now and then and never gets old. Another for me would be Castlevania II for the NES.

Missile Command with the trackball. It's a hard find these days, but anytime I see this in the arcade I've got to play at least twice.

Any of the popular light gun games also fall into this category for me. (Time Crisis, The House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Carnevil). They are always a blast for the short time you play them.

I was always a big fan of the original Rygar on NES. It doesn't get a lot of love due in part to the difficulty level, but I always had a blast with it.

The whole thing had the feeling of being on a grand adventure. There weren't a lot of sidescrolling action games where you could actually level up your character. Plus it had an overworld map, and you could get items that let you access new areas. Great soundtrack too.

Mario Kart 64 would be another. My brother and I put in sooooo many hours into that.

Also, the sword fighting in Zelda II made me come back every couple years as I grew up.

Ninja Warriors (arcade)
Operation Wolf (arcade)
The Simpsons (arcade)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Donald Duck Quackbusters (Genesis)

I can probably name a few dozen more.

Turtles in Time was the first game that came to mind just by reading the thread title! :D

I'd say most 16-bit brawlers, platformers, and shmups have held up really well in terms of fun-factor.

[quote name='ravenanwo']River City Ransom......Need I say more?[/QUOTE]
+1

I'd also say NHL '94 w/ the multitap, Megaman 2, Double Dragon 2 and 3 and Mario Kart.

act raiser on the SNES

i liked it a lot and its pretty classic, but i don't think they made any current day versions

Almost any beat em' up as long as you have a 2nd player. Some alcohol helps too.

A while ago my brother and I rocked through 4 beat em' ups in one night. Add in a few beers and it's a recipe for a fun time. I think we beat Knights of the Round, Final Fight, King of Dragons & Streets of Rage 2.

Id have to say Goldeneye. Looking back IDK how we stayed up till 5-6am most nights playing 8 hr sessions of this game...

zelda for the snes, i use to play that al the time
but golden eye , i also played into the wee hours of the night with that game.

Original Zelda on NES and Super Mario World on SNES - Played over and over and I still play them! Own them on cartridge, virtual console and Zelda on emulator!

I'll never forget the first time I played Zelda - It was on a RENTED NES at my cousins house. The first time I played SMW was standing in Wal-mart @ the demo station. Graphics blew my mind! :lol:

[quote name='CGH']Tecmo super bowl back in the day my brothers and I played the nes and snes games to death.[/QUOTE]

^This, and Nintendo World Cup Soccer. When I went to college I actually brought the game and console with me and it was the most played game/console despite having a PS2, Gamecube, and XBOX available. While Tecmo could get boring after about 2-3 hours, NWCS was never boring; the ridiculous special kicks, knocking people over repeatedly without fear of getting hit with a penalty, and the blatant racism in those blocky, pixelated players was hilarious. Man, I think I'll go play some now.

NHL '94 was great. Baseball Stars.

Oh man, Goldeneye. The memories of that game. Played it 4 way local multiplayer. On an 13" portable TV. In the military while on exercises. In a box 6' x 5' on the back of a humvee where the four players were literally side by side, almost in the next guy's lap. And each round the 2 losers had to switch out. Out being going outside in a Korean winter where it was below zero to wait your turn again. Not coming in top 2 more than 2 or 3 times in a row meant you might freeze to death.

Nothing like the prospect of frozen death to make you the greatest fucking player that ever lived.

And we allowed screen peeking, so we ran around zoomed in on the ground the whole time. Even the corner of a wall in your screen would give your position away.

Thanks for making me remember that Steggy.

sorry bout that tldr.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back