Most likely the most realistic Presidential debate tonight!

joeboosauce

CAGiversary!
Moderated by Larry King nonetheless. (I wonder how the hell he agreed to do this.) Being broadcast by Al Jazeera, RT America, Link TV, and now CSPAN has agreed as well.

Obviously, not covered (censored) in the US mainstream media, but I wonder how many here have actually heard of this?

AJE: Third-party candidates face off in Chicago

Huff Post: Third-Party Debate To Be Broadcast By Al Jazeera English, RT America, But Not Major Cable News Networks

And this is worth checking out over the jokes that that are broadcast as "debates"? Obama and Romney, sadly, agree on important things therefore providing no real option.
Exclusive: As Obama and Romney Agree on Afghan War, Israel and Syria, Third Parties Give Alternative

Democracy Now always gets the input of these third-party candidates in their "expanding the debate" segment. It's the only presidential debate where you're going to hear any real information or solutions.

I really like that Justice Party.

[quote name='camoor']Democracy Now always gets the input of these third-party candidates in their "expanding the debate" segment. It's the only presidential debate where you're going to hear any real information or solutions.

I really like that Justice Party.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...like I said in another thread, I thought that'd be just another far-right wing party form the name alone. Who knew!

Figured I'd give this a look. Trying to watch it on C-SPAN. The audio quality is terrible. Also, letterboxed. :whistle2:(

Edit: Oh, boy. Audience participation.

their ideas are so elementary, this is boring.

and who said we were going to bomb iranian civilians? i hear this shit from soccer moms enough as it is.

Stein is actually doing a caricature of herself and I'm a little disappointed. She was a lot better when she was running for governor of MA.

I love how Johnson starts going into crazy country the longer he has to speak.

Welp...another debate next week. I hope production is cleaned up a little bit.

Larry King comparing them to Don Quixote blew my fucking mind though...like, seriously dude?

edit: the journalist on Al Jazeera is beating up Johnson on austerity...funny stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']their ideas are so elementary, this is boring.

and who said we were going to bomb iranian civilians? i hear this shit from soccer moms enough as it is.[/QUOTE]

How in-depth do you want them to go in the 1-2 minute answer time allotted?

War in Iran (especially with drones) is not that far-fetched.

[quote name='dohdough']Stein is actually doing a caricature of herself and I'm a little disappointed. She was a lot better when she was running for governor of MA.

I love how Johnson starts going into crazy country the longer he has to speak.[/QUOTE]

She isn't charismatic... but I don't much care for the Reagan school of leadership.

I'm trying to figure out what the major difference is between Rocky Anderson and Jill Stein. Any thoughts?

[quote name='willardhaven']She isn't charismatic... but I don't much care for the Reagan school of leadership.

I'm trying to figure out what the major difference is between Rocky Anderson and Jill Stein. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Anderson is a lot more polished with a lot more detail in his platform, but yeah, they're pretty damn close...haha

The few times Larry King asked a question made it more interesting. It should be less like a debate and more like an interview with four people.

It's actually all bullshit and not a good metric of anything beyond wanting to point people towards libertarianism. I mean shit, Anderson is to the right of Obama? Holy fuck balls, that isn't even close to being true.

If I remember correctly, the guy that made that thing up is a HUGE libertarian too.

[quote name='Spokker']The few times Larry King asked a question made it more interesting. It should be less like a debate and more like an interview with four people.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure he was asking a question and not talking about himself?:rofl:

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

[quote name='willardhaven']In my quest to find a deciding factor I found this:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/crowdchart.php?showform=&Ron+Paul=9.0%2C-8.0&Gary+Johnson=8.0%2C-7.0&Vermin+Supreme=0.0%2C0.0&Barack+Obama=-4.0%2C8.5&Jimmy+Mcmillan=-5.0%2C2.0&Rocky+Anderson=4.0%2C-3.0&Jill+Stein=-3.0%2C-2.0&Mitt+Romney=1.0%2C5.0&Rick+Santorum=1.0%2C7.0&Virgil+Goode=5.0%2C8.0&Michael+Bloomberg=-4.0%2C6.5&Michael+Bloomberg=on&newname=&newec=&newsoc=

I wonder if it has any merit... it seems a little low-budget and I doubt they actually took the test.

It's funny that I'm undecided between candidates guaranteed to lose.[/QUOTE]

Here's another:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

Is the one you posted in relation to your answers?

Looked into it, and the one you provided was somebody's own work, so I'm not sure what process they used to arrive at those positions.

[quote name='willardhaven']I just find it odd that Anderson appears so far to the right when based on the debates he seems to be relatively close to Stein.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about him outside of the debate from the other night, but it could be that his political history was more economically libertarian than it is now, or that he uses more leftist rhetoric than he actually believes in (think Romney constantly talking about peace during the foreign policy debate).

[quote name='willardhaven']I just find it odd that Anderson appears so far to the right when based on the debates he seems to be relatively close to Stein.[/QUOTE]
He is, but seems a bit more grounded in his stances or at least gives good reasons for them.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']I don't know much about him outside of the debate from the other night, but it could be that his political history was more economically libertarian than it is now, or that he uses more leftist rhetoric than he actually believes in (think Romney constantly talking about peace during the foreign policy debate).[/QUOTE]
That would put him lower on the y-axis, not more right on the x-axis. Either way, it's a ridiculous concept to put them on a axis like that. Especially when placing Obama so much higher than other stronger authoritarians on the y-axis. I mean seriously, more authoritarian than Santorum? Or even Goode? No fucking way.

bread's done
Back