Most revolutionary Nintendo system to date

Who's The Twitch Now?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
All right, so we know the Revolution will, in most likelihood, truly revolutionize the industry. It may be the first step to those brain-implant gizmos the dystopian future folk use. But Nintendo has set new ground before. From the industry-standard-setting NES, to the handheld NES with the Gameboy, to the industry-changing N64, among later hardware, we've been in constant awe of the Big 'N's never-ending pursuit of the New. So, which of these (or others), would you think amazed their respective time-periods' audiences the most? You also may take into account the respective system's software. Keep in mind, the Gameboy, as previously stated, was a portable NES. That must have been jaw-dropping, to say the least. The DS, is a masterwork of hardware design, and is leaps and bounds ahead of the Gameboy. So, what'll it be?

I say the DS. I don't even own one yet and I own everything else on the list - weird. Each system (except the gamecube) was revolutionary in their own way:

NES: proved that video games could be profitable and thrive; introduced SMB - the most copied side scrolling platformer ever, battery saved games, the d-pad, zapper
SNES: introduced shoulder buttons
N64: introduced first truely great 3D platformer, analog stick, camera control
GAMECUBE: meh, my favorite system but really just a more refined N64
GAMEBOY: portability, simple games can sell huge, Tetris
DS: touch screen!

Maybe I need to change my vote to the NES...

It may have been a humongous failure and a bad idea, but the Virtual Boy. One screen for each eye, a mirrored controller, 3D effect/depth perception, multiple planes of gameplay, and portable (well sorta :lol:).

[quote name='javeryh']I say the DS. I don't even own one yet and I own everything else on the list - weird. Each system (except the gamecube) was revolutionary in their own way:

NES: proved that video games could be profitable and thrive; introduced SMB - the most copied side scrolling platformer ever, battery saved games, the d-pad, zapper
SNES: introduced shoulder buttons
N64: introduced first truely great 3D platformer, analog stick, camera control
GAMECUBE: meh, my favorite system but really just a more refined N64
GAMEBOY: portability, simple games can sell huge, Tetris
DS: touch screen!

Maybe I need to change my vote to the NES...[/quote]
You forgot to mention connectivity for the Cube ;) :lol:

The cube also had the wavebird. The NES also had the power pad. And was the N64 the first console to with 4 controller ports?

[quote name='dcfox']You forgot to mention connectivity for the Cube ;) :lol:

The cube also had the wavebird. The NES also had the power pad. And was the N64 the first console to with 4 controller ports?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say connectivity was all that revolutionary, and Sega had the idea of a small screen on the controller with the VMU. What was revolutionary about the Wavebird? While the N64 might have been the first controller with 4 built-in controller ports, the SNES, Genesis, & Playstation all had multi-taps before it.

I'd say the NES was certainly the most revolutionary, it basically revived the industry. I don't think any of the other consoles can compare to that.

I said N64. Analog control and the move into 3D were such huge leaps forward in innovation that I couldn't say otherwise.

NES was an easy choice for me. Part of it could have been my age, but no first look at a system has brought the same feeling of awe that watching and playing Super Mario Bros. did on Christmas morning.

And remember, it is the home of the highest selling video game ever.

What?

NO NINTENDO CEREAL?

I am shocked and appalled.

That was CLEARLY the most revolutionary! TWO fruity flavors! In one box!

Two, damn you! TWO!

Have YOU seen any other Nintendo system match the fruit flavors and crunchy texture of the cereal?

I THINK NOT.

Wtf! Not even Sega went that far!

Well, it was a choice between Nintendo Cereal System, or Virtual Boy. Since the Nintendo Cereal System is comprised of several fruity flavors, colors and shapes, and the Virtual Boy is comprised of Red, I almost went with the former. Then, I remembered that the fruity shapes in question looked like unidentifiable mutant crunch berries, and tasted like super-market-brand Fruit Loops. Thus, I went with the Garcon de Virtualle, and I hope you do not take offense.

Strell, you know better than that. The Nintendo cereal was laced with cocaine. IF they had tried to sell their product based solely on the flavor/nutritional value, it would've revolutionary, but they decided to punt both of those out the window and just make little kids crack addicts... that was not cool, man. Not cool at all...

I'd have to say NES. While the DS is certainly mixing things up and the Revolution promises great things, the only reason any console is here today is because of the NES. Which leaves me with a smile on my face when I read previews of like NSMB that hearken back to the original NES classic a lot. If the Rev comes with SMB/DH preunlocked on the virtual console, maybe IT will be the most revloutionary.... as long as I can shoot the dog... and the tree... and the grass...

[quote name='Strell']What?

NO NINTENDO CEREAL?

I am shocked and appalled.

That was CLEARLY the most revolutionary! TWO fruity flavors! In one box!

Two, damn you! TWO!

Have YOU seen any other Nintendo system match the fruit flavors and crunchy texture of the cereal?

I THINK NOT.

Wtf! Not even Sega went that far![/QUOTE]

Win. I'm sorry I didn't see this before I posted http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90223&postcount=6

We could've tag-teamed this vote into submission. With the Nintendo Cereal System, you didn't just play games( which is for pussies), you CONSUMED THEM.

I meant to reply in the other thread, but damn, the coincidence is startling. We both used a bunch of words and phrases nearly identical, and most certainly similar.

This is clear proof the universe will be ours for the taking.

HOT MARIOS FTW.

[quote name='Strell']I meant to reply in the other thread, but damn, the coincidence is startling. We both used a bunch of words and phrases nearly identical, and most certainly similar.

This is clear proof the universe will be ours for the taking.

HOT MARIOS FTW.[/QUOTE]

Tremble, game fans, for when we become one the STAGGERING wang size will be enough to blow your monitors into your fucking eyeballs.

...Maybe we're long lost brothers? Or we were like the "Les Enfants Terribles "project, except the semen used was from a race of god-like space-peoples? Who knows, but that was indeed some freaky shiznat.

Additionally, the OP should add the cereal system to the poll so we can let the enlightened ones show what's what.

Hmm... I can't seem to edit the poll. Tell you guys what; for your trouble, you will each recieve a free month of XBox Live and a Wireless Controller. Strell and Reality's Fringe, I salute you. You take Nintendo appreciation to a whole new level... But damn, I also forgot the Game & Watch. I guess I'm slipping in my old fanboy ways.

Hold me.

I'm suprised that the N64 isn't farther ahead. Analog sticks, the Z button, and rumble alone, plus the expansion pak are all things that have been copied in future generations.

Who's The Twitch Now?]Hmm... I can't seem to edit the poll. Tell you guys what; for your trouble said:
X........what?

Oh, Blind, picturing Hot Marios tag-teaming is akin to enjoying the most beautiful Renaissance works of art. It's a sight so beautiful that, if you were ever to see it, you'd gouge out your own eyes!

Reality's Fringe said:
X........what?

Oh, Blind, picturing Hot Marios tag-teaming is akin to enjoying the most beautiful Renaissance works of art. It's a sight so beautiful that, if you were ever to see it, you'd gouge out your own eyes!

Naw, you just explode.

Then your remnant explode. And catch on fire.

At least 3 times.

The N64 really changed the companies perspective. I still have mine with Zelda 64 firmly planted in her aged but sexy body.

I think I'll give her a spin tonight.

The original GameBoy. It was a tough call between the NES and GameBoy, but the GameBoy really revolutionized handheld gaming. Up to that point it was all just cheap handheld crap. Nintendo turned a non-existent market into their cash cow.

N64 all the way. I have not been impressed from a game console launch since the N64.It had a killer app(Mario 64) and the controls were great for the time. While the life time of the N64 didn't live up to what I wanted(perhaps the decline of Nintendo?), there was nothing like playing Mario in 3D for the first time. Maybe people are just saying NES because it might have been there first system but I thought it was just a meh step up from the others.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Maybe people are just saying NES because it might have been there first system but I thought it was just a meh step up from the others.[/QUOTE]
Eh... the video game industry as it now exists, thanks to the NES, might disagree with you.

bread's done
Back