Motion Controls - Yey or Nay?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not sure why this got bumped, but still a nay for me. Also not a big fan of the IR and would take Dual Analog over it. It worked ok in Metroid Prime 3. The aiming was great, but it gets old having to point at the middle of the screen to keep the view steady. With mouse it's easy, with a pointer it gets annoying.[/quote]

Holy shit. Dmaul... did... did you play through the entire game without using lock-on?

[quote name='The Crotch']...

Holy shit. Dmaul... did... did you play through the entire game without using lock-on?[/QUOTE]

No, of course I used lock on. But a lot of the game is just exploring--not combat. And then you had to keep it pointed at the middle to walk straight.

Just not a fan of motion controls or having to point something at the screen. I just want to lay on the couch and veg out when I play, and traditional controls are superior for that.

theyre a waste on the ps3. the only place i could see them working is in racing game anything else and its just an annoyance. like the way they put them in ratchet and clank. those six axis code braking sections were overly annoying and hard because of the need to use those controlls to move that damn ball around. i dont think anyone use them to any real benefit and its all just gimmicky.

until the day comes where they come up with some kind of set up that actually let you grab things in the game world and manipulate them its all better left out of gaming.

if you want higher levels of interactivity in gaming make more realistic and interactive worlds. the abiity to use everything in the game world to your advantage, where damage can happen to anything so you have to be careful how you shoot and what you shoot. where shooting games get rid of energy levels in exchange for realistic spot specific damage ( big necessity for zombie games).

thats my dream for gaming and as of yet it hasnt happened.

[quote name='lokizz']theyre a waste on the ps3. the only place i could see them working is in racing game anything else and its just an annoyance. like the way they put them in ratchet and clank. those six axis code braking sections were overly annoying and hard because of the need to use those controlls to move that damn ball around. i dont think anyone use them to any real benefit and its all just gimmicky. [/quote]

I really liked the motion controls in Folklore.

Yay all the way! Obviously Xbox 360 and PS3 fanboys are going to give a nay. Simply because the Nintendo Wii is revolutionizing the gaming industry, day by day...week by week..month by month...you get the drift!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Nay from me so far. I like them but I still prefer a traditional controller. I can't think of any games that I have enjoyed more due to motion controls. Well I take that back, the new interest in gun games is great but other than that I am looking at my Wii catalog. Mario, Mario Kary, Super Smash Brothers, Animal Crossing, Zelda all were more fun for me to control with a non motion controller. I guess I did enjoy Trama Center and that would be hard to duplicate with a classic controller. I am probably just missing out on the really good motion control games but so far no dice for me. I hope they change my mind though, the more ways to control games the better.

Definite yay. Wii Sports alone is enough evidence that motion controls can work and be fun. There's no way I'd buy another tennis, bowling, boxing, golf, or baseball game without motion controls. It's just more fun. Even though the controls in Mario Kart aren't as precise using the Wiimote, I find it much more enjoyable. The controls in Samba De Amigo are a little flawed but show that a music game using motion controls can be really fun. And I've never been a big fan of shooting games but Ghost Squad is a blast.

I definitely don't want to see it forced into games. Games like Smash Bros don't need it. But as long as developers put it in games that it makes sense for and don't force motion controls, I think the use of motion controls definitely adds to the experience.

yay! everyone said no when analog was introduced. after getting more and better use of the analog, everyone loves it. so, after getting more and better use of motion controls, everyone will love it. same thing with the digital pad. when it came out the joystick lovers hated the dpad and those who used them were very amazed by it. the more the dpad got used and developed for, the more people started to like the dpad. so the same idea applies to the motion controls.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']yay! everyone said no when analog was introduced. after getting more and better use of the analog, everyone loves it. so, after getting more and better use of motion controls, everyone will love it. same thing with the digital pad. when it came out the joystick lovers hated the dpad and those who used them were very amazed by it. the more the dpad got used and developed for, the more people started to like the dpad. so the same idea applies to the motion controls.[/quote]

i dont think you can compare analog controlls to motion controlls. analog ( especially dual analog) opened up alot of things in games like easier viewing and tighter controlls for gaming. most people were probably only against it in the beginning because it meant having to buy new controllers ( especially for the ps1) since most games after ape escape began to favor analog gaming.

i think the lack of dual analog on the psp hurts the system alot especially when it comes to platformers. i dunno how much itd help the system as far as sales go.

did motion controlls really make twilight princess on the wii that much better than its gamecube counterpart? the wiimote is nothing more than a present day powerglove and as i recall that thing didnt add much more to gaming either.

[quote name='lokizz']i dont think you can compare analog controlls to motion controlls. analog ( especially dual analog) opened up alot of things in games like easier viewing and tighter controlls for gaming. most people were probably only against it in the beginning because it meant having to buy new controllers ( especially for the ps1) since most games after ape escape began to favor analog gaming.

i think the lack of dual analog on the psp hurts the system alot especially when it comes to platformers. i dunno how much itd help the system as far as sales go.

did motion controlls really make twilight princess on the wii that much better than its gamecube counterpart? the wiimote is nothing more than a present day powerglove and as i recall that thing didnt add much more to gaming either.[/quote]

yeah, resident evil 4 [easier aiming and more precise then analog and faster], obscure [eliminated how classic resident evil aiming was and you just point and shoot] and metroid prime 3 [lock on and able to free shoot others] all possible through the use of motion controls.

Technically those are both possible through the use of the pointer, not anything to do with the motion controls. Pointers can work, they just need to find a system so you don't have to aim at the middle of the screen to keep the view steady like you did in Metroid Prime 3 when you weren't locked on to something (i.e. not in combat).

I do see some potential in the pointers. Motion controls I'll never like no matter how good they get. As I said I just want to lay on the couch and veg out when I pay games, not do anything physically active. If games go 100% motion control, I'll go back to just watching movies, TV and sports in my free time at home--which I already do a good deal more than gaming anyway.

It depends on the implementation. I would not be against motion controls if they were supplementary. But then again, if they are supplementary, like in Warhawk, I usually opt for the more precise analog stick and button option. I think motion control is a nice gimmick; a nice break from things. But, I will always choose precision over "interactivity".

Pochacco - shouldn't you be giving examples of games that made heavy use of motion rather than the pointer? Shouldn't you be mentioning NMH or Godfather or something?
[quote name='dmaul1114']No, of course I used lock on. But a lot of the game is just exploring--not combat. And then you had to keep it pointed at the middle to walk straight.
[/quote]...

Buddy...

Just... lock on. The button doesn't fall off when you kill the last enemy in an area. Just... pull the trigger, man. Look, come over to my place. I'll show you.

Or I would if my Wii hadn't just crapped out on me. Merry Cocksmas to you too, Nintendo.

Who the fuck wants to hold a button down all the time? That's nearly as annoying as aiming at the middle of the screen.

I'm not bashing the game, I enjoyed it and it was the best game I played on the Wii before getting rid of it. But I'm not a fan of the control set up overall and would take dual analog controls over it any day. Aiming works fine. Let go of the right stick and the aim centers and stays steady. Works like a charm IMO. And I'm not coming to your place, or setting foot in your god awful country. ;)

I don't dig motion controls or pointer controls. They become standard, I quit gaming end of story. And no skin of my nose as it's just more time for other hobbies I enjoy more than gaming anyway.

But I don't think it will come to that as motion controls will remain a gimmick at best (or only used in certtain types of games). As long as my FPS games and WRPGs have normal controls so I can play them laying on the couch getting shitfaced I'm good to go! :D

Just started Folklore and I hate the damn controls to pull out the Ids especially when I have to do it so often. Down with motion controls.

bread's done
Back