MotorStorm Apocalypse - Out Now - 8/12: New Update w/Mode Editor & Move/Wheel Support

well while i do enjoy racing games, im not a massive fan of them. i only played split/second and nfs hot pursuit this gen, but i enjoyed both of them (s/s more though)

It reminds me a LOT of S/S, but it's still a unique take on the "disaster racing" idea. You don't control any of the disasters- they typically occur in the last lap, or for each lap in a way that changes the course.

The courses feel a lot different too- you are going through suburbs and parks and stuff. S/S has some beautiful courses- but they felt limited to industrial areas and cityscapes. Also- there are usually 2-3 different routes you can take throughout the course. In s/s, there were a few times when the course branched off (more so after major disasters), but in this, they are just part of the normal course.

Compared to other motorstorm games, the vehicles seem to take more of a beating, so that's nice for the novice player.

Now that PSN is up, I got a chance to play some online MP. It's very smooth and fun so far even though I doubt that I'll ever win a race against the general public. The challenge stuff is a nice bonus that makes the small chance of winning nicer. The perks don't seem to be too great at the beginning since there's nothing that really is a game changer, as it seems like they just reduce or increase certain aspects of the controls.

so that there was a demo off the ps store for this. downloaded it and played that race 3 times. proceeded to delete and will not buy unless i can rent it for free from gamestop for 6 days. the handling seemed pretty poor and just the all around feel of the racing didnt seem right to me. split/second blows this out of the water, no contest.

I played the demo; and I actually enjoyed it. I'm still not a fan of the racing through the crumbling city theme, but the gameplay was excellent.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...se-free-after-party-update-hits-psn-tomorrow/
On behalf of the team at Evolution Studios, I’m here to bring news of the biggest update to MotorStorm Apocalypse so far! We’ve always known that feedback from players and continued development of the game post-launch would be a key ingredient, and we’re still committed to supporting this goal. Read on for an overview of the free After Party update that hits PSN tomorrow today. We hope will enhance and extend your enjoyment of the MotorStorm Apocalypse! A New Day-and-Night Track: The Rock

The stage for this After Party is an abandoned prison island near the bay, known to the lunatic racers and ravers as The Rock. Multiple routes have been carved into the island’s varied terrain, so expect off-road racing action reminiscent of the legendary island in the Pacific Rift.

Expansion of ‘Special Events’

A heap of fresh single-player races, hand-crafted by the design talent at Evolution Studios, are being introduced via Special Events Packs. Each pack sees you play as a distinguished character from the Festival, offering the grand sum of 120,000 chips if you can take 1st place in six unique events. The first pack (Stone: Jack of Clubs) is included in the update. Further Events Packs will be available in coming weeks via PlayStation Store, for free.

Weekly Challenges

Weekly Challenges offer you a great opportunity to boost your chip total. There are 30,000 chips on the table every week and to claim them you’ll need to beat the specified target in a Rookie, Pro and Veteran challenge. Chips, if you didn’t already know, unlock new Ranks and rewards in the game, as well as several PlayStation Trophies.

The available races change at the same time every week (on a Wednesday), meaning that there are new challenges to take on and more chip rewards if you can beat them. Good luck!

Vehicle Performance Re-tuned

Feedback from the MotorStorm racing community, along with the game data and statistics we’ve analysed since the first day of online racing, highlighted that a number of vehicle types would benefit from a slight performance re-tune.

In response to this, changes have been made to several vehicle types to support more evenly balanced and competitive races. Most noticeably improved are the Supercar, Dirt Bike and Superbike classes. The Racing Truck, Muscle Car and ATV types have also been tweaked.

Game, Servers and Connectivity Improved

The update includes many ‘behind the scenes’ changes to the game and the online servers, to make the overall experience more robust and reliable. Important improvements have been made to online matchmaking lobbies, player profile records and leaderboard browsing.

The After Party is a healthy update to the game, which we hope will keep you entertained while we continue to develop another big update – which will include the Game Mode Editor, steering wheel support and several other surprises we’ve yet to announce. In the mean-time, enjoy the After Party, look forward to the free Event Packs on PlayStation Store and watch out for a refreshing change to the Matchmaking playlists soon.

Keep tabs on these along with upcoming community events on motorstorm.com and follow @PhenomEvolution on Twitter for all the latest on Apocalypse.

Cheers!
I'll have to hop on a bit later to see how much has changed, but I like that they're supporting the game with free content.

yeah I have this game completed it and im into racing alot and this game is addictive. The new update has improved the stability of the multiplayer and it rocks. Love the new tracks to. Also if you play online today you might bumped into the devs i beat one of them Pheonom_Evolution ramped him off the road in my pickup whilst he was in his dirt bike. He says he's gonna get revenge ^^ goods times.

I really like that they've added ways to get chips in single-player, as getting mostly full games in MP isn't likely at all times of the day. I managed to go up a few levels due to those challanges since they offer a ton of chips (10-25K) for completing them. The weekly challenges are really hard, as I could get the rookie and pro challenges without too much trouble and the veteran challenge was crazy hard.

It seems like they've gotten rid of the disconnect errors from matchmaking and made it a bit better at trying to get full races, though it still has a ways to go. I'd like to see them be able to merge small groups together to get full races more often.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...lypse-week-long-multiplayer-demo-live-on-psn/

There's a special multiplayer demo being offered for people that want to try that part of the game out first:
A storm is coming to PlayStation Network! The MotorStorm Apocalypse multiplayer demo arrives on PlayStation.Store in today’s Store update and will be available to everyone for one week only. Here’s an overview of what you can expect from the demo of Evolution Studios’ latest adrenaline-fuelled action racer, which is out now on the PlayStation Store. Seven days of intense action racing

Get ready to experience the simultaneous challenge and excitement that comes from trying to win races while a city comes crashing down around you! You’ve only got from Tuesday, June 28th until Tuesday July 5th to get in on the action, so make the most of the opportunity by taking part in this special week-long demo event while you can.

Incredible visuals

The action looks stunning, especially in high definition if you have the set up. To really bring every race, crash and explosion right into your living room, try to experience the game with a mind-blowing stereoscopic 3D setup!

16-player online races, including two-player split screen

Face down the competition in brutal races against up to 15 players world-wide. Go in alone, take a split-screen buddy into the action with you or meet up with your friends to form a party online.

You’ll earn new Ranks and rewards for surviving the carnage, beating opponents and racing with style. Boost your rewards from every race by wagering on any rival you think you can beat; There’s a healthy bonus awarded if you beat them and you can choose whether to add it to your career earnings or risk it all on the next race for an even bigger reward!

Three of the full game’s 35 online races to survive

You’ve never seen races like these…

The Mile High Club

Smash through offices and across the sides of downed skyscrapers in a lunatic adventure over the breathtaking rooftops.

Off the Rails

A gigantic rift has ripped the subway system open…and MotorStorm is holding races in it! Barrel through the fiery subway tunnels and into the rifts themselves as crazy looters attack and trains bail straight into the station.

Ship Shape

An abandoned shipyard is the perfect playground for intense, high-speed action-racing, where there’s little room (but plenty of opportunity) for costly mistakes.

Five of the 13 vehicle types from MotorStorm Apocalypse to customize and race

Stamp your unique identity on the Superbike, Buggy, Supercar, Racing Truck and Big Rig and then equip your preferred performance boosting perks to give you an edge when you go out to battle in the concrete jungle.

You’ll earn better body parts, customization designs and perks as you race and improve with each vehicle. Make use of the kit you are awarded to modify your vehicle so that you stand out from the crowd!

…only Seven Days?

The demo will be available for download on PlayStation.Store for 7-days only, however online play will be possible until Thursday July 7 at 02:00 PDT, so you will have extra time to run a few more races before the free demo runs out.

If you didn’t already know, the full game is available now and has just been updated and expanded with the free After Party update, which introduces an all new day-and-night track, Weekly Challenges, multiplayer playlist updates and more. There are also regular community events taking place in MotorStorm Apocalypse: check the MotorStorm community space to see what’s taking place right now.

Any Questions?

If you have any questions about the demo, please visit the MotorStorm community space on playstation.com.

To keep up to speed with the latest MotorStorm news, keep it locked to the blog, follow @PhenomEvolution on twitter.com and follow the official MotorStorm Apocalypse page on facebook.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-update-mode-editor-steering-wheels-and-move/

A new update adds a Mode Editor, Wheel and Move support, and more online fixes:
Hello, my fellow MotorStormers! The racing party at the end of the world recently introduced a hot new track and fresh Weekly Challenges for you to play. Now, I’m excited to be able to bring you news of another larger-than-life update, which will empower you to create, share and get much more out of your action racing experience than ever before.

To get this latest update, simply fire up MotorStorm Apocalypse while connected to PSN and you’ll be prompted to download the update.

Design Your Own Game Modes

The new Mode Editor allows you to create your own fun game modes within the MotorStorm template and then play them straight away with other players (online and offline).

The possibilities are vast: Tweak the standard Race mode so that vehicle attacks are disabled…or set-up a five-round Eliminator mode, on mirrored tracks, for 15 Monster Trucks and 1 Buggy, with moon gravity, infinite boost and no brakes…or do something completely unexpected – we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Share Your Customized Vehicle

Customize and share your proudest vehicle designs with your friends via motorstorm.com, and download any that you like the look of from the website to apply to any of the vehicles in your collection – they automatically work across all vehicle types.

Sharing your personalized vehicles is simple: upload them from MotorStorm Apocalypse to your personal Profile area on motorstorm.com and other players can view them immediately. Downloading shared vehicles from other players is just as easy: find one you like the look of on motorstorm.com, sign in with your PSN Online ID and download it – it will be waiting for you when you next go into Customization in the game!

Up Your Game With a PS3 Steering Wheel or PlayStation Move

PlayStation Move controllers and certain PS3 steering wheels are now fully supported in MotorStorm Apocalypse (including customizable configurability options), so you can get even closer to the racing action with a more tactile and realistic control set-up.

I’ve been lucky enough to experience the game using a Logitech G27 force feedback wheel, on a 3DTV with surround sound set-up, and I can honestly say it’s the most exhilarating gaming experience I’ve ever had. Pumping the accelerator and gripping the wheel as you drift your muscle car through a tight city corner at break neck speeds feels incredible, and when an apocalyptic earthquake aftershocks kick in and tears open the ground beneath your wheels – while you’re trying to avoid gangs of crazy looters and rivals throwing their weight around in monster trucks – it ups the ante even more. If you can, you absolutely must experience MotorStorm Apocalypse like this. Words just don’t do it justice.

Supported steering wheels include: Logitech G25, Logitech G27, Logitech Driving Force GT and Logitech Driving Force Pro.

Further Improvements to Online Play

In response to continued feedback from MotorStorm players, the update also includes additions and improvements such as; new racer ‘clan tags’, changes to gambling (bets are now won when a rival is disconnected or disqualified), and changes to lobby privacy (so that private rooms can only be joined by invitation).

Stay Up to Speed With MotorStorm Wherever You Are

The community website has also been updated to include player profiles which show off player activity, stats, performance over the last 10 races and shared vehicle designs. The update also includes a mobile version of the website which lets you use an internet enabled mobile device to keep up to speed with the latest MotorStorm activity (and your friends) wherever you are.

There’s a lot here to keep you rocking the party at the end of the world! If you’d like to keep up with the latest on Apocalypse, or learn more about the game, make sure to keep tabs on motorstorm.com. Thanks for your time – Cheers!

bread's done
Back