Mouse cannot be used to select/open anything

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
I have recently just started having this problem. My mouse will basically freeze. I can still move it around and everything will still acknowledge that the cursor is pointing at it (links highlighting, program icons highlighting) but it will not let me click on anything.

I have tried re-connecting the mouse, restarting, etc. but nothing has worked. I am assuming it's some sort of virus at this point and preparing for scans, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of or seen this happen?

This happens to my wireless mouse when it us running out of battery. It would just be a bad mouse button - how many times have you clicked on the little guy? Or it could be a virus, but I assume if it is a virus that disables your mouse it would disable your keyboard too as you can still technically do a lot of things on your computer using the old keys.

I suppose this would have been important to put in the OP, oops.

The main reason I am currently believing its a virus is because I can fix it by going into task manager and shutting down processes. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping track of which process fixes it each time, but it has been a different one every time.

This morning when I turned it on it was worse than ever, it wouldn't even let me click my name to login, luckily I was able to use the keyboard. When I opened the task manager there were about 100 different processes running (most I've seen since I installed win 7 was probably around 30)

Yep, definitely sounds virus related. Safe mode boot and get to running those anti viruses and so forth. Someone might be remotely controlling your computer... or the processor might just be so overloaded with viral crap it don't have time to worry about your little mouse clicks.

bread's done
Back