Movie Gallery - All HD DVDs $14.99 YMMV

andysavestheday

CAGiversary!
Not sure if Movie Gallery is the same as Hollywood videos or if it is regional, but they have all their HD DVDs at 14.99, they come with normal cases (not the red ones) and should come with original sleeve, no inserts tho.

Most of my discs were not scratched at all, or very little. They have a lifetime "warranty" so if they skip I can get my money back. This is a decent deal, YMMV of course, but I thought it was worth posting, especially since I got Blade Runner, The Kingdom, Zodiac, Good Shepard, Eastern Promises and the New Harry Potter for less than 100$. Those were like, 4 of the top five on my list of HD DVD wants. Now all I need is PLanet Earth and Stardust and then i can wait for the 5$ and 10$
movies.

Oh, and she said the copy of American Gangster was checked out but when it came back, she'd hold it and sell it to me for 15$ AND she'd sell me Beowulf for $15 on Tuesday, before anyone even checks it out. Nice deal there.

Can't wait to see what Wal-Mart does. And Amazon too.

$14.99 for HDDVD's sucks as a pricepoint. DDD has most older titles at 12.20, and its only a matter of time before you see $9.99 clearance on all HDDVD media across the board. I expect an Amazon BOGO sale any day now.

[quote name='HeadRusch']$14.99 for HDDVD's sucks as a pricepoint. DDD has most older titles at 12.20, and its only a matter of time before you see $9.99 clearance on all HDDVD media across the board. I expect an Amazon BOGO sale any day now.[/quote]

Blu ray BOGO would be nicer though.

:hot:[quote name='underliness']Wow for people who bite on this, I will sell you my VHS collection for 7.99 each![/quote]

Dude i think you should go bite a......

Its 7.50 a moive with the BOGO coupon at the front desk. Also some are combo format meaning you can watch the DVD too.:hot:

[quote name='THECLAW92']:hot:

Dude i think you should go bite a......

Its 7.50 a moive with the BOGO coupon at the front desk. Also some are combo format meaning you can watch the DVD too.:hot:[/quote]

Go bite a what? A on a actual deal? The price the OP stated was 14.99 each for a used disk not in original case. That seems quite high for a freshly announced dead format. He did not mention this coupon you state (Mabye link it? Ive only ever seen a rent one get one rental free for movie gallery), and that still isnt a great deal. So with your coupon 7.50 per used HDDVD in a rental case, I don't know that still seems...lacking.

Not trying to be rude, but it seems like in a months time or so you should be able to get NEW HDVDS for this price or cheaper. A lot of places are trying to dump off their HDDVD stockpile with a slight sale to people who don't realize its basicly a dead format. Just wait a month or so and get this same thingin a new package for the same price or possibly cheaper.

[quote name='THECLAW92']Blu ray BOGO would be nicer though.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with HDDVD...they look the same as BD's...so....if I can get a HD version at $9.99 versus $19.99+ for the BD? I'm buying red :D

Course with all of Amazon's BOGO's last month and in Dec......I dont expect to see a new BD BOGO anytime soon.

[quote name='underliness']Go bite a what? A on a actual deal? The price the OP stated was 14.99 each for a used disk not in original case. That seems quite high for a freshly announced dead format. He did not mention this coupon you state (Mabye link it? Ive only ever seen a rent one get one rental free for movie gallery), and that still isnt a great deal. So with your coupon 7.50 per used HDDVD in a rental case, I don't know that still seems...lacking.

Not trying to be rude, but it seems like in a months time or so you should be able to get NEW HDVDS for this price or cheaper. A lot of places are trying to dump off their HDDVD stockpile with a slight sale to people who don't realize its basicly a dead format. Just wait a month or so and get this same thingin a new package for the same price or possibly cheaper.[/quote]
Hm, I don't know, I am just not too sure we'll see them dump them at these prices new. People will pay (myself included) $10 for HD-DVD's when the format hits real clearances, so I'm not too sure it would go lower. But then I've never been on the losing side of a format war before.

I actually thought this was a great deal (with the coupon). I picked up a lot of titles that I have really wanted for a long time. I'll be getting some generic cases from ebay (or real ones from sleevetown if they ever get off BO), and that ups the cost maybe $1 per disc but it's still pretty good. The discs themselves are in pretty nice shape, so the only thing I'd be missing from a new disc would be the pormo inserts (if any) and the little paper telling me to update that seems to be in every HD-DVD. If you work at it, used stuff can be as good as new, IMO.

For those interested, I picked up:
V For Vendetta
Bourne Identity & Supremacy
Harry Potter 5
Zodiac 2 Disc
Blade Runner and We Were Soldiers as gifts for someone

Only one I'm worried about is Zodiac. Getting a 2-Disc HD case might be tough.

Hmmmm... if you live in a non metro area, and you see no traffic in your Movie Gallery or Hollywood... give it another month or two. They'll probably be shutting down another assload of stores before they exit Chapter 11 bankruptcy in April. From what I'm seeing on the finance boards, rumor is 300-500 locations.

I've been wondering if they're going to change Troy State's "Movie Gallery Stadium" to something different, like naming it after a title pawn or something :)

Just saw this today, but there was a 2 for 20 sign above the rack. Here's a few pix.

Sorry about the crap quality, it was taken with my camera phone.

I tried calling the nearest Movie Gallery to me and the response was:

"HD DVDs? Um. . . let me see"

Five minutes later.

"We don't carry the uh. . . what you said."

*sigh*

I don't feel like driving 20 minutes to see if the clerk was a retard or if they really don't carry them.

Movie Gallery will honor Hollywood Video B1G1 coupon for PVM @ $14.99 each, therefore each will cost $7.50 plus local tax.

These are the recommended good buy HD movies (good PQ and AQ) to get from their shelfs if you don't have it already:
- 300 (Combo)
- Elizabeth Golden Age (Combo)
- Shooter
- Bourne Ultimatum (Combo)
- Italian Job
- MI1
- MI2
- The Kingdom (Combo)
- Miami Vice
- Zodiac (2 discer)
- The Mummy
- The Mummy Returns
- Shrek 3
- Terminator 3

You forgot to mention A REALLY good movie with AWESOME PQ and AQ.

Hott Fuzz.

Im Gonna go check out some movie galleries today considering i have alot of those B1G1 coupons from HV.

...and 'Hot Rod'.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']You forgot to mention A REALLY good movie with AWESOME PQ and AQ.

Hott Fuzz.

Im Gonna go check out some movie galleries today considering i have alot of those B1G1 coupons from HV.[/quote]

bread's done
Back