Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video 520 Store Liquidation - Starts Thursday 9/27/07

little_krampy

CAGiversary!
Credit goes to Whatdouknow at SD

They are not releasing a list of stores, but I googled my city and "hollywood video closing" and found one in my town that is closing. Maybe calling a store would get you more info on what is going on in your region. If anyone finds out what the markdown will be please post!!!

Movie Gallery Announces Consolidation of Store Operations
DOTHAN, Ala., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Movie Gallery, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOVI) today announced that it plans to close approximately 520 underperforming and unprofitable Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores. As previously announced, the Company has been accelerating its efforts to conserve cash and reduce the Company's cost structure to address the financial and industry challenges it has been experiencing.

Joe Malugen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Movie Gallery, said, "Closing these stores was a difficult, but necessary decision to help protect the future of this Company. These stores are being closed after evaluating a number of factors, including store profits and the terms of the leases at each location. This action will allow us to focus our resources on the approximate 4,000 stores that have a stronger operating performance and prospects for future growth.

We thank our many associates and partners who have remained loyal to us over the years," continued Malugen. "Where possible we will work with the customers at these locations to transfer their accounts to other nearby Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video locations. The talented associates and partners in the stores that will be closing have been notified. As always, we remain committed to treating all affected employees fairly and providing the necessary assistance to make this transition as smooth as possible"

Movie Gallery has retained an outside professional services firm, the Great American Group, to assist it in conducting sales of the inventory at the closing stores.

Yeah, unfortunately, there wasn't much to get, gaming wise, here. But I did pick up Zodiac for $10.49.

Also, the local store started this sale on the 26th, which the manager said was supposed to be "friends and family day." And because he started early, there was an extra 10% off everything for everyone who came in before the district manager called and told the manager to stop doing that.

[quote name='torres546']Based off dvdtalk, the ones in Mineola, Hempstead, and Plainview, all NY, are closing.[/quote]

the one on hicksville road? ill swing by tomarrow afternoon to browse

Boo. I saw na NHL 2k8 that didn't have a price sticker on it, meaning it SHOULD have been 15-ish. The lady before me got in a huge argument with the cashier, because she thought something should have been cheaper, when someone most likley picked it up earlier and put it back in the wrong section. When the cashier rang me up, the game wouldn't ring up and I was told that it couldn't be sold. I didn't feel like arguing after the previous episode, so I just said oh well. Would have made a nice flip though.

So I hate the way the one here that is closing is set up.

In the section where the game rentals is at, it says that all things in that section is 20% off yet there are no prices to be found.

They have Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Stubbs The Zombie there that I want to get, but I'm not going to pay more than $10 each for them.

the one on hicksville road? ill swing by tomarrow afternoon to browse

not on hicksville rd. the mineola one is on 328 jericho turnpike by the northen state, the one in hempstead is on 151 Peninsula Blvd, and for Plainview its on 1117 old country rd. this way you wont have to drive to an unknown status one.

I scored a free copy of the Criterion Collection of Rushmore today because they were having computer problems and the guy was nice and decided to just give me it. fuck yeah.

[quote name='torres546']not on hicksville rd. the mineola one is on 328 jericho turnpike by the northen state, the one in hempstead is on 151 Peninsula Blvd, and for Plainview its on 1117 old country rd. this way you wont have to drive to an unknown status one.[/quote]

i was just going to ride my bike , i m 14 =D

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']
They have Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Stubbs The Zombie there that I want to get, but I'm not going to pay more than $10 each for them.[/quote]

Sure. I could see not paying more than $10 for Stubbs, but GS sells MVC2 for Xbox and PS2 for $80 used. You could easily trade it in for $50 worth of stuff here.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Sure. I could see not paying more than $10 for Stubbs, but GS sells MVC2 for Xbox and PS2 for $80 used. You could easily trade it in for $50 worth of stuff here.[/quote]

But it comes with the generic rental case, I doubt GS would give that much when it wouldn't technically be complete.

There only seems to be one HV going out of business in all of Tucson (Broadway at Euclid), and they had a few good items. I got Rouge Galaxy, Pikman 2, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for $15 each. They also had titles like Four Swords Adventure (non-GH), Wind Waker, Futurama (PS2) and some more interesting items for pretty cheap. Apparently they're reducing the price on used games by 10% every day. The guy also promised me a Metroid standee if I came back Monday! :D

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']But it comes with the generic rental case, I doubt GS would give that much when it wouldn't technically be complete.[/quote]

GS still sells disc only copies for $80...the case and manual dont mean anything to them...i think they give over $30 trade in from what i remember

the movie gallery in Portland, Michigan has no signs of going out of business. I did pick up Little miss sunshine and snakes on a plane 5.00 each. Perfect condition.

this is the worst going out of buiness sale ive ever seen. Movies are 11.99 , most are new at walmart for 5-12 dollars but they are selling them used some without covers for 12. Then the games mostly greatest hits games and players choice for 15.99 most which are new at bestbuy for 10-15.

[quote name='Jedi1979']GS still sells disc only copies for $80...the case and manual dont mean anything to them...i think they give over $30 trade in from what i remember[/quote]

Hmmm well I may have to go in a while and hope it is still there.

Knowing my luck, someone will have already gotten it.

[quote name='neokitty']this is the worst going out of buiness sale ive ever seen. Movies are 11.99 , most are new at walmart for 5-12 dollars but they are selling them used some without covers for 12. Then the games mostly greatest hits games and players choice for 15.99 most which are new at bestbuy for 10-15.[/quote]

Not too great for games, but decent for movies. Mine had all rental dvds at 8, Ill wait till they drop to 5. I need to stock up on horror movies this october and they have a couple rare gems. They newer movies they normaly sell were also pretty cheap. I think that 11.99 was before any discounts maybe?

this store liquidation isn't about the games! it's about he DVDS! i've gotten about 2 G's worth of Out of print DVDs for about 300.00 at Hollywood Video (aka if you're in the orlando/lake mary/casselbarry area i already bought everything worht anything of value at all the locations) , X-D Amazon here i come.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']Chicago - Lawrence and Elston.

Games and Accessories - 20%off
Dvds- 25% off[/quote]

Did they have used games there?

[quote name='GBmanNC']Not too great for games, but decent for movies. Mine had all rental dvds at 8, Ill wait till they drop to 5. I need to stock up on horror movies this october and they have a couple rare gems. They newer movies they normaly sell were also pretty cheap. I think that 11.99 was before any discounts maybe?[/quote]

Still not a good deal at $8 a pop since you can go to Blockbuster and buy everything except the stuff that just came out at 4 movies for $20.

Picked up Sonic the HH (I know it is supposed to stink but my daughter loves that blue speed demon) and The Godfather for Xbox360 for $15.99 each. Also picked up Ridge Racer 6 for Xbox360 for $12. Not unbeleviable deals but I am happy nonetheless. I probably overpaid on the movie purchases (too embarrased to list here) but my daughter was in high pitch beg mode and I was feeling generous...The only part that was real lame was the people running the registers were "special". Took them several times to get prices correct. Very half-arsed liquidation IMHO...

Add the Movie Gallery in Wyoming, PA(northeast corner of the state) to the list of Movie Gallery stores closing.

Currently, the games are ALL (for the most part anyway) $19.99 and take 20% off that(so like $4 basically). Only decent title I recall seeing leftover was ICO for PS2.

Oh and the best deal of the whole place? New releases(the crap along the outer walls) are ONLY $11.99 after the 20% discount.

NO DEALS to really be had here YET.

As far as I know, that's the ONLY store in this area closing. It sucks too, since if the one in Olyphant were closing, I'd EASILY grab the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II games from there from them for $15.99 each.

Most of the time, the store will have the display cases (the real game cases) stored somewhere in the store and have no problem giving them to you if you ask.

Picked up 2 copies of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for PS2, Godhand, Rogue Galaxy, Magna Carta and the Criterion Collection Yojimbo in the Muskegon, MI store.

[quote name='jacobmunford']Most of the time, the store will have the display cases (the real game cases) stored somewhere in the store and have no problem giving them to you if you ask.

Picked up 2 copies of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for PS2, Godhand, Rogue Galaxy, Magna Carta and the Criterion Collection Yojimbo in the Muskegon, MI store.[/quote]

How much did MVC2 come out to?

[quote name='SithFran']I can't find a list of which stores are closing. Has anyone seen one around?[/quote] The stores that are being liquidated have apparently been removed from the hollywoodvideo.com store locator.

[quote name='deadtrees']The stores that are being liquidated have apparently been removed from the hollywoodvideo.com store locator.[/quote]Yeah, I think the same goes for the locator at gamecrazy.com now.

[quote name='Blackout542']How much did MVC2 come out to?[/quote]

All of the games at my store (unless otherwise marked) were 16 (19.99 - 20%) + tax.

the movie gallery in knoxville TN disappeared about a month ago. I'm pretty sure the hollywood video/gamecrazy store is still open though.

hopefully the jehrico tnpk. one is good, or the one on old country road. i want some 360 games or a 360! do they sell 360s? or systems for that matter. any word on these do they have anything left

Hit up two HV in NJ that were closing

1st one

Marvel vs Capcom 2 XB Complete Mint
Marvel vs Capcom 2 XB Disc Only, scratched
Baldur's Gate 2 PS2 Complete
Baldur's Gate 2 XB Complete
Baldur's Gate 2 XB Disc Only
Baldur's Gate 2 PS2 Disc Only
Disgaea Disc Only
Shadow Hearts Disc Only
Total 98$

This store said they couldn't give out the display boxes:(

2nd one... Games had been totally wiped out already but did find buried

Metroid Prime 3 Wii Disc Only
17$

and I asked for some displays and he gave me a
3 ft tall cardboard Solid Snake
2 ft tall Master Chief
2 ft Crash
2 ft Jak

Tomb Raider Legend Poster
Harvest Moon MM Poster
Oblivion Poster
Sonic Riders Poster
a couple others

Some good display boxes as well all with manual if I remember right
Pokemon XD
Futurama PS2
Pikmin 2
Operation Genesis PS2 (no manual)
Dukes of Hazzard PS2
a few others

Drove 40 miles to get to this one and I would have been pissed about the game selection but then he gave me all this stuff so I was quite happy.

Asked a employee at the one I go to on which ones are closing. For those in the Dayton, Ohio area, I know of two that are closing.

Dayton- Philadelphia Drive
Kettering- Stroop Road

I was told to wait until the end of October to check those stores. That's when they start clearing everything out cheap(75% off).

My Hubby went there, they said they moved all the ps3,wii games to another store that will not be closing. All the ps2 and GC games where $20 :(

Nothing at the Brevard County stores (Central Florida) - anything they might have had was gone by Saturday morning. No displays at any of the stores and all the new generation games / hardware was MIA.

[quote name='smaaug']Hit up two HV in NJ that were closing

1st one

Marvel vs Capcom 2 XB Complete Mint
Marvel vs Capcom 2 XB Disc Only, scratched
Baldur's Gate 2 PS2 Complete
Baldur's Gate 2 XB Complete
Baldur's Gate 2 XB Disc Only
Baldur's Gate 2 PS2 Disc Only
Disgaea Disc Only
Shadow Hearts Disc Only
Total 98$

This store said they couldn't give out the display boxes:(

2nd one... Games had been totally wiped out already but did find buried

Metroid Prime 3 Wii Disc Only
17$

and I asked for some displays and he gave me a
3 ft tall cardboard Solid Snake
2 ft tall Master Chief
2 ft Crash
2 ft Jak

Tomb Raider Legend Poster
Harvest Moon MM Poster
Oblivion Poster
Sonic Riders Poster
a couple others

Some good display boxes as well all with manual if I remember right
Pokemon XD
Futurama PS2
Pikmin 2
Operation Genesis PS2 (no manual)
Dukes of Hazzard PS2
a few others

Drove 40 miles to get to this one and I would have been pissed about the game selection but then he gave me all this stuff so I was quite happy.[/quote]

Which stores did you go to?

[quote name='LilPaintballer']do they sell 360s?[/quote]

No, they do not sell systems in the Hollywood Video stores, Game Crazy does though. But like most of the others have said, everything next gen has been shipped off to stores that are staying open(for now).

So is this only for new stuff in Crazy? Did they ship out all their used games to other stores?

I had seen this thread, but ignored it. The local store always had crap for games. Then I drove by it a couple days ago and figured I should stop to check for DVDs. This is the store in Dana Point, CA.

I went this morning. Walked away with XBOX Baldurs Gate 2, XBOX Jedi Outcast, and Tekkon Kinkreet ($14, $14, and $10).

Only one PS3 rental (basketball), PS3 Sonic for $21, a handful of 360 games, and no Wii games whatsoever.

i'll have to swing my my local hollywood vid and movie gallary to see if they are closing, but i have my doubts. Its not that we dont' have enough rental places (i know of 5 block busters in my area), but it would be just my luck that they are going to stay open...... here's to hoping!

The one about 3 miles from me by the mall is closing -- and sometime this morning, the manager sold "$900 worth of games" to a fat, chubby guy who read about it on slickdeals, effectively cleaning out anything this store may have had. Turns out he's the asshole who runs a used gaming store in the rival mall not too far, and was looking to up his inventory.

Meh.

Even took the damn standees.

i used to manage the hollywood in tustin after managing the gamecrazy is fullerton. the tustin gamecrazy actually made more money that the hollywood video when the new manager took over!!

[quote name='poploser73']i used to manage the hollywood in tustin after managing the gamecrazy is fullerton. the tustin gamecrazy actually made more money that the hollywood video when the new manager took over!![/QUOTE]
Is the Tustin location closing? I've been there once, and the place was deserted.

bread's done
Back