Movie Gallery to close 400 MORE stores-FIRST POST UPDATED WITH LINK TO LIST OF STORES

I just ran across this tonight and figured I'd pass it along to my fellow CAGs. It was on the AOL Welcome screen tonight as one of the top stories. There's no list of closing stores yet, but I'm sure when there is one made public, you'll all know about it.

Here's the link: http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/movie-gallery-to-close-400-more-stores/20080205100509990001

And one from MSNBC.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23000037/

Lists of stores closing(with thanks to Warner1281):

77 stores closing(supposed to start Feb. 25th:
http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0733849/0733849080131000000000006.pdf

400 stores(have until April 29th to become profitable):
http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0733849/0733849080204000000000013.pdf

I certainly hope that Gamestop doesn't see the struggles of Movie Gallery and pulls a Transworld to Sam Goody and buys them out or your local Gamecrazy may become a Gamestop in one fell swoop.

We still have 2 HWV, 1 Movie Gallery and 1 Gamecrazy around by me and even though I made out like a bandit during the last MG closings, I don't want to see them go under.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I certainly hope that Gamestop doesn't see the struggles of Movie Gallery and pulls a Transworld to Sam Goody and buys them out or your local Gamecrazy may become a Gamestop in one fell swoop.
[/quote]

*grumbles*

Picked up a nice collection of movies, some out of print and never watched from my hollywood vid closing! Hopefully the other 2 near me close too.

Both of my local ones shut down in the past year, I see it getting worse for video stores

With online rental services and lots of grocery stores now getting the machines for $1 a rental, who is going to pay $3.99+ for a rental at a video store?

Some of the stores closing are 'Hollywood Video' stores... our local newspaper had the headline and then listed the address of a Hollywood Video store in the article.

I work for Movie Gallery and I commend them for closing more stores. So many stores are barely profitable and they eat up resources that should be sent to profitable stores.

Of course if Movie Gallery was smart they would shut down more unprofitable stores and install more Game Crazy / Game Zones in profitable stores that have no Game Stop in the vicinity.

Still have like 8 Gamecrazys around me. I can afford to lose one or two, but the chain better stick around :cry:. Hopefully they just close some non-GC Hollywood locations (or better yet, just actual Movie Gallery stores which I've never even seen before).

Last time this happened, I check at my local GC, and they said they were in the top 50 nation wide and they weren't closing. Hopefully that remains true this time around.

[quote name='LordVila']
Of course if Movie Gallery was smart they would shut down more unprofitable stores and install more Game Crazy / Game Zones in profitable stores that have no Game Stop in the vicinity.[/quote]
its not quite easy opening a store within another store or just a store in general when youre facing bankruptcy. maybe what they could have done is that instead of keeping movie gallery, they could've converted them into game crazy/zone.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Last time this happened, I check at my local GC, and they said they were in the top 50 nation wide and they weren't closing. Hopefully that remains true this time around.[/quote]

Yeah, mine said they received a 3 year guarantee that they would stick around. :roll: This was while they were trying to sell me an extended warranty. ;)

I feel that Gamecrazy honestly sucks a little bit too hard for my liking. The one in my area is way too much like Gamestop without any of the small benefits my GS's offer.

[quote name='io']Still have like 8 Gamecrazys around me. I can afford to lose one or two, but the chain better stick around :cry:. Hopefully they just close some non-GC Hollywood locations (or better yet, just actual Movie Gallery stores which I've never even seen before).[/quote]

Actually, one of the stores that closed and the ONLY one around my area to close during the last round was a Movie Gallery. There's a couple more of them around here, though neither are within quick driving distance.

The only thing I could tell everyone is, just like the last time, keep an eye on Movie Gallery/Gamecrazy/Hollywood Videos' websites and keep using the store locator to check your local stores. If any disappear off the locator, that was the indicator that a store was closing the last time, I believe.

Kick ass, last time around I made thousands of dollars on rare/out of print movies and last day 90% off Game Crazy leftovers!

It's amazing what people WON'T buy in the store yet will spend a fortune online for.

Sigh, if my Gamecrazy closes, all I will have to choose from is a GS with a shitty selection, a eb games (now called GS) with another shitty selection, and a wal-mart. Joy :bomb:

You guys keep worrying about GS buying GC.. I keep telling you, GC is owned by Movie Gallery and is the only division turning a profit. The only way Gamestop could buy GC is if they bought Movie Gallery, HWV and GC.. unless MG decided to sell GC, which they wouldn't, because, again, it's the only profitable division.

crap! I work at a GC, and there's like 4 others within 15-30 min of the one I work at. I bet you at least 1 or 2 of them close. Ours wont cuz we reached $1 million in sales for 2007, thats not even including the money the HWV connected to us made. I know they arent doing as well though, but our awesome sales keep them afloat. It's all because lots of people dont like rental stores anymore when NEtflix (and gamefly) are sooo much easier to deal with and cheaper.

Looking at my local stores, out of the three closest stores showing on Google Maps, only one is showing on GC's store locator. I don't usually shop at Game Crazy since I've got other stores closer, so I dunno if Google Maps is just fucking up and those closed before, or if those two stores are closing in the future.

I hope neither my HWs or GCs go down. MOvie Gallery has to be one of the stupidest most mismanaged companies out there. What a bunch of idiots who ran a business into the ground.

Hmm. Now I'm a bit worried. Las Vegas is usually a bit resilient when it comes to these sort of things but last year the KB in my local mall closed about mid year and that lasted longer than most of this country. I used to work at Vons grocery and they closed 3 stores down last December, Radio Shacks are starting to close down around here too. We still have K-Marts though. The GC by my house is in a pretty decent location with a lot of traffic but I don't think the ollywood Video is holdin up it's share of the bargain. There's a smith's grocery, Wal-Mart, McDonalds all with those DVD rental machines all within a block of Hollywood video. When the KB closed as well as the Virgin Megastore in Ceasars closed I started to see that the Las Vegas market for media entertainment was going down.

Mabye Blockbuster will buy the one by my house if it closes. That way I can rent games for 8$ for 2 weeks rather than Movie Gallery's shitty 8$ for 5 days.

Although I constantly get free dvd rentals from Movie Gallery cause they are desperate for business, not that I even get more than my free rentals.

Wow! Games cost that much to rent? You should really try gamefly. I started using that last month and so far it's been pretty good. $16 for one out at a time but you can change as much as you want. I thik I had about 5 games last month. No More Heroes, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Nights, Super Paper Mario... I thik that was it so 4 for $16 that's 2 games at BB, or GC but I kept no more heroes for about 10 days.

[quote name='emceelokey']Wow! Games cost that much to rent? You should really try gamefly. I started using that last month and so far it's been pretty good. $16 for one out at a time but you can change as much as you want. I thik I had about 5 games last month. No More Heroes, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Nights, Super Paper Mario... I thik that was it so 4 for $16 that's 2 games at BB, or GC but I kept no more heroes for about 10 days.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the problem. It's around $8 after tax for a game rental for 5 days, although they are usually running constant promos over here. If I were to rent one today it would be $8 for two games instead, or maybe I'll use a coupon and get the same deal on Saturday, things like that. The only thing going for them was that they would get in new releases pretty much on the day of release or the day after, so if you really had to try Orange Box or No More Heroes...well, nigh-instant gratification.

This one here may survive but it already looks like they're scaling back. All of the Used DVDs that used to be in the front are now gone, one section of the store that was always a bit cluttered is now completely clear after two and a half years...unless they're planning on opening the smallest Game Crazy ever in a store they're probably on the outs. ;)

[quote name='emceelokey']Wow! Games cost that much to rent? You should really try gamefly. I started using that last month and so far it's been pretty good. $16 for one out at a time but you can change as much as you want. I thik I had about 5 games last month. No More Heroes, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Nights, Super Paper Mario... I thik that was it so 4 for $16 that's 2 games at BB, or GC but I kept no more heroes for about 10 days.[/quote]

Yeah but I never said I rented 16$ worth of games a month... I rent mabye one game a month if that. Usualy one every other month. I'm more into picking up older titles cheap rather then renting new titles. Plus I don't consume 1 game a week, i'm more into RPG's and multiplayer games. Currently i'm going through older PS2 titles I didn't have time to play or were off my radar at the time and buying new titles I will play heavily new (COD4, Orange Box).

Single player games like the ones you mentioned and Devil may Cry intrest me but not enough to go out and buy/rent it new unless they had some kickass multiplayer. I got nothing but time with my backlog ;) and I can wait for the newer single players to get cheap and own them so I can replay them whenever I want.

[quote name='Scorch']You guys keep worrying about GS buying GC.. I keep telling you, GC is owned by Movie Gallery and is the only division turning a profit. The only way Gamestop could buy GC is if they bought Movie Gallery, HWV and GC.. unless MG decided to sell GC, which they wouldn't, because, again, it's the only profitable division.[/QUOTE]

He's right, that's the only thing that Movie Gallery has going for it right now. They didn't close any GC stores anywhere new Cinci/Colombus/Dayton but they closed down a lot of Hollywood Videos. I would say that it would be highly unlikely for Movie Gallery to sell GC unless they just threw in the towl.

Besides my roommate just got his job back and I really wouldn't want to see him out of work, again.

The problem seemed to be that hollywood video was going down the tubes when Movie Gallery bought them. I'm sure the GC stores do ok, and I really wish that we had one around here, but in general neither MG or HWV can hold a candle to our Blockbusters. I only go to Movie Gallery for super cheap rental specials or when I can't find the movie elsewhere. It kinda bothers me that they have a pR0n room, which I have no interest in. When my local MG started putting more of that out on the floor, I started going there less.

I work at GameCrazy and believe me, there's no threat of us going out. We're the reason that there's really an profit going to MovieGallery. And yes, we are guaranteed to be around for a long time.

In fact, we're actually expanding our stores until the end of 2011. The 400 stores that are being taken down are unprofitable Hollywoods. Those GameCrazy's that are connected to the closing Hollywood's are actually being moved to a separate building and being expanded (as are most of the other GameCrazy's).

Believe me guys, we're not going anywhere.

[quote name='uglyteradon']He's right, that's the only thing that Movie Gallery has going for it right now. They didn't close any GC stores anywhere new Cinci/Colombus/Dayton but they closed down a lot of Hollywood Videos. I would say that it would be highly unlikely for Movie Gallery to sell GC unless they just threw in the towl.

Besides my roommate just got his job back and I really wouldn't want to see him out of work, again.[/quote]

Not true. The Loveland/Fields Ertel location was closed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, one of the stores that closed and the ONLY one around my area to close during the last round was a Movie Gallery. There's a couple more of them around here, though neither are within quick driving distance.

The only thing I could tell everyone is, just like the last time, keep an eye on Movie Gallery/Gamecrazy/Hollywood Videos' websites and keep using the store locator to check your local stores. If any disappear off the locator, that was the indicator that a store was closing the last time, I believe.[/QUOTE]
that won't work here because when I checked the lister during the last round of closings, there were 5 stores on it but there are at least 9 in the area and those 9 are all still open.

[quote name='Scorch']You guys keep worrying about GS buying GC.. I keep telling you, GC is owned by Movie Gallery and is the only division turning a profit. The only way Gamestop could buy GC is if they bought Movie Gallery, HWV and GC.. unless MG decided to sell GC, which they wouldn't, because, again, it's the only profitable division.[/quote]

I've seen plenty of companies sell profitable divisions to keep the unprofitable core business afloat. The reason is, the profitable division is the only thing they can get any money for.

Is there any sure fire way to figure out which stores are closing? The store finder seems unreliable; I guess the only way is to go to a store and ask its employees....

[quote name='Cindaddy']Not true. The Loveland/Fields Ertel location was closed.[/quote]

[quote name='raregamergirl']And two in Columbus closed too... Sawmill and Polaris. I remember hearing several in Cinci closed as well...[/quote]

My bad, I had thought that any of the stores under Oblin had stayed open.

I could care less if the 2 remaining GC go under in my area because they are actually worse the EB/GS around me.. I will be happy to go snag some more liquidation priced games.

I really hope they do not keep closing gamecrazy stores. Pretty soon here, we will see them all shut down. I already did not shop at gamecrazy nearly as much as I used to as they kept closing store in my area. Now, I am down to 3 in my area and I am guessing one of those will close (and one is over a half hour away). Pretty depressing to hear about all these closures :(

[quote name='uglyteradon']He's right, that's the only thing that Movie Gallery has going for it right now. They didn't close any GC stores anywhere new Cinci/Colombus/Dayton but they closed down a lot of Hollywood Videos. I would say that it would be highly unlikely for Movie Gallery to sell GC unless they just threw in the towl.

Besides my roommate just got his job back and I really wouldn't want to see him out of work, again.[/quote]

Sorry, in columbus, the GC on sawmill road was closed on Jan 15th. I was there trading in games on jan 7th, then went out of town for 3 weeks. I heard it from my wife. fortunately I have the credit on a gift card. I was shocked. nobody told me that it will close in a week. Just weird

yeah, someone does:[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, one of the stores that closed and the ONLY one around my area to close during the last round was a Movie Gallery. There's a couple more of them around here, though neither are within quick driving distance.

The only thing I could tell everyone is, just like the last time, keep an eye on Movie Gallery/Gamecrazy/Hollywood Videos' websites and keep using the store locator to check your local stores. If any disappear off the locator, that was the indicator that a store was closing the last time, I believe.[/QUOTE]rif.org, eh?

[quote name='phenommsu']Anyone know an easy way to check what stores in the area are going out of business?[/quote]

Well another way is the gamecrazy website directly, if your in an area like me that originally only had 3 store just wait for one to vanish from the zip code locator and you know it is one going under.

This doesn't surprise me about MG. Its a tough market these days for video rental in general since there's many more ways to rent/buy movies. Heck the one I used to rent at these days looks like a freakin ghost town anytime I pass by it.

*grumbles*Look, this already happened once and they cleared out about half the stores now there fininishing off the rest. What happened initially was that Movie Gallery fought over Hollywood Video and other stores with BlockBuster. They won that fight, but they were sunk into debt from it. Then they turned their sights on Movie Scene amongst other stores, and essentially lost. This is only the delayed reprecussions.

I'm really not sure why the Movie Gallery I work at is still open when all of these others are being closed. Not long ago there was even a dispute with the owner of the strip shopping center we're in due to MG's bankruptcy. You'd think it's a pretty bad sign when the manager has to tell all employees to call the police if the landlord tries to chain up the door, yet we're still open somehow. Our rental selection is pretty terrible compared to pretty much every Hollywood Video that I've been in too.

Two of the Hollywood Video's I go to are closing and they have Game Crazy's attached to them.:cry:

Oh well, I'm glad I decided to hold off on renewing my membership card.

So when do the sales begin?

bread's done
Back