Movie That Legitimately Freaked You Out and Why?

[quote name='Chase']I feel uncomfortable while watching Eraserhead. The ambient sound is creepy. That, and the horse fetus.[/QUOTE]

See now that movie doesnt creep me out, it fascinates me.

When I watch it I sort of zone out a little, its almost like your having a dream and your watching someone elses nightmare.

I never could decipher that movie though. All I can figure out is the weird guy in the attic window looking down pulling levers is supposed to represent either god or fate deciding what happens to jack in the movie. But the obscure stuff like the elevator taking 13 seconds, the clock that has 13 hours on it, hell even the apartment number is 2416 when added together is 13.

Lynch always did have a way with sound though, even the very subtle things you dont really notice play parts in his movies. Like fire walk with me the scene where the people are in the bar and meet eachother anyother director would have turned down the volume of the music so you could hear them talk, but lynch kept it jacked up and put subtitles in. You could hear them talking but it was muffled down it sounded like mumbling.

The one and only movie to ever truly make me feel uncomfortable was watching, Salo 120 days of sodom.

The first time you watch it its very easy to only see the horrific acts going on in the movie and the utter depravity of the characters but it takes a couple viewings to appreciate it as something more. Its kind of like a mirror for what truly horrible animals we can become when were freed from our restraints of modern society where our rules and laws and obligations dont apply. It shows what a man can become when he is given way to much freedom and way to much power over others with no recourse to his actions to the point of him becoming bored with it. Its also kind of like a template for anywhere in the world at any time where cruelty to others goes on without being checked as it has a base set of 3 or 4 types of characters that can be applied to the same scenario in the real world.

Its the kind of movie that if your able to get past the images on the screen for what they are then it will leave an imprint on you for the rest of your life.

Thats the only movie to make me uncomfortable though really because cut my teeth on horror and exploitation films when I was 7 or 8 and I saw a bootleg of they call her one eye and it permantnly messed me up afterwards hehe.

[quote name='gargus']The one and only movie to ever truly make me feel uncomfortable was watching, Salo 120 days of sodom.

The first time you watch it its very easy to only see the horrific acts going on in the movie and the utter depravity of the characters but it takes a couple viewings to appreciate it as something more. Its kind of like a mirror for what truly horrible animals we can become when were freed from our restraints of modern society where our rules and laws and obligations dont apply. It shows what a man can become when he is given way to much freedom and way to much power over others with no recourse to his actions to the point of him becoming bored with it. Its also kind of like a template for anywhere in the world at any time where cruelty to others goes on without being checked as it has a base set of 3 or 4 types of characters that can be applied to the same scenario in the real world.

Its the kind of movie that if your able to get past the images on the screen for what they are then it will leave an imprint on you for the rest of your life.

Thats the only movie to make me uncomfortable though really because cut my teeth on horror and exploitation films when I was 7 or 8 and I saw a bootleg of they call her one eye and it permantnly messed me up afterwards hehe.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't say it better than myself that movie is a challenge to watch.

I tend to not watch horror/gore movies (despite the fact that I did when i was little... strange how that worked out) so I really don't have a lot legitimate freak out movies. I did see Paranormal Activity when it came out and that was pretty freaky. It also probably wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for what happened that night. My parents were going on a trip to Florida and were leaving in the middle of the night. So my mom decides to walk into my room, towers over me while I'm in bed, and start whispering that she's leaving. I wake up seeing a huge shadow standing above me, mumbling, and I freaked out.

Also, something that bothered me when I was little was just a scene from a random vampire movie I walked in on. The vampire just stuck his fangs into the girls neck and when he lifts his head, you see the bite mark. At the time it was a unnerving for me. I remember a while later, I saw a girl who had 2 birthmarks on her neck and I was convinced she was a vampire.

What about 'The Cell'? It wasn't really a horror movie, but it freaked me out a little bit the first time I saw it just for the sheer...oddness of it.

That scene where the red cape is blowing around everywhere, for some reason, always put a weird image in my mind that creeped me out.

Paranormal Activity was super lame. I guess I should've seen it in theaters, but wow was I disappointed.[quote name='Zodiii']What about 'The Cell'? It wasn't really a horror movie, but it freaked me out a little bit the first time I saw it just for the sheer...oddness of it.

That scene where the red cape is blowing around everywhere, for some reason, always put a weird image in my mind that creeped me out.[/QUOTE]Ahhhahahahaha, I can see your vagina from here!

[quote name='tiredfornow']Paranormal Activity was super lame. I guess I should've seen it in theaters, but wow was I disappointed.Ahhhahahahaha, I can see your vagina from here![/QUOTE]

My vagina is quite a gaping one. I'm sticking to The Cell for the weird-out factor.

Now that I re-read through this thread again, definitely a couple of movies

Someone mentioned Naked Lunch, that movie just was weird and I never did finish watching it, but I would like to. It makes me want to have a bug powder addiction.

Also, Jacob's Ladder. There are a few scenes in that movie that were kind of weird, definitely the hospital scenes.

[quote name='Zodiii']My vagina is quite a gaping one. I'm sticking to The Cell for the weird-out factor.

Now that I re-read through this thread again, definitely a couple of movies

Someone mentioned Naked Lunch, that movie just was weird and I never did finish watching it, but I would like to. It makes me want to have a bug powder addiction.

Also, Jacob's Ladder. There are a few scenes in that movie that were kind of weird, definitely the hospital scenes.[/QUOTE]

Naked lunch is good, course I like all of david cronenbergs movies. Some other movies of his you might find interesting if you want something strange are Dead ringers, videodrome, existenz, and crash.

[quote name='gargus']Naked lunch is good, course I like all of david cronenbergs movies. Some other movies of his you might find interesting if you want something strange are Dead ringers, videodrome, existenz, and crash.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Crash a few times and it's a decent flick. I haven't seen any of the others, but have been repeatedly told to watch Dead Ringers and Videodrome.

I guess I need to watch The Descent too, since a lot of people are listing that on here.

[quote name='rcpettit']Jesus Camp - documentary about fundamentalist Christian youth camps. Scary (at least to me) in a very realistic way.[/QUOTE]

Yes. When I used to work at my video store and people would as for a scary movie I would always recommend it. Seriously fucking creepy because it's real.
Honorable mentions also go to:

fire_in_the_sky.jpg

mysterious_skin.jpg

AnAmericanCrime2007.jpg

lol @ people mentioning cannibal holocaust. That movie is a fucking joke.

[quote name='Zodiii']I've seen Crash a few times and it's a decent flick. I haven't seen any of the others, but have been repeatedly told to watch Dead Ringers and Videodrome.

I guess I need to watch The Descent too, since a lot of people are listing that on here.[/QUOTE]

Well dead ringers is kind of a esoteric film in the same sense that crash was. They are much alike without having anything to do with eachother if that makes sense. So if you thought crash was decent then youd probablly think the same of dead ringers.

The descent was good for the first half of the film I thought, it doesnt have much replay value though to me. But I didnt like the last half of it as it lost what made it feel geniune and different and turned into a movie that felt like a high budget made for scifi channel original movie. Its worth watching atleast once though.

[quote name='opportunity777']The Descent. I watched it on a huge TV in a dark room with 7.1 surround sound.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Descent is probably the most recent for me as well. I don't watch many horror movies, probably my least favorite genre.

As for the why, it was more the first half. All the claustrophobia of being in the caves, caves collapsing and creepy stuff starting to happen.

Ah... got my roommate good and freaked out with John Carpenter's "In the Mouth of Madness".

I heart that movie. Whoever mentioned Prince of Darkness a few pages back should definitely see this one.
Ah, fuck it, all y'all should see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
for me it was grimlins. I was 6 or 7 and all i had ever really watched was sesame street and mr rogers to that point. So my mom goes to the theater with a friend and I am nearly pooping myself. So to see these horific things eating people well lets just say i saw them in my room for years.... I still make sure to keep my feet covered when I sleep with the invincible blanket.

Coincindentally my wife saw it in the theater with her mom when she was a kid and right at the point at the end where stripe was in the fountain and gizmo opens the celing her mom droped her keys into the light track in the aisle on the ground shorting out the theater killing the lights and the projector and scaring people there on a whole different level...

fast forward some 25 years and I see oldboy and sympathy for lady vengence. Boy Koreans are messed in the head err seeing the world from a different perspective...

also typing in the dark so ignore spelling errors n such...

Last edited by a moderator:
I particularly loved Signs, Alien, and The Ring.

However, I felt the birthday scene in Signs as well as the ending ruined it.

There were plenty of moments without showing the full monte that had me crouched in the corner.

The Emerald Jungle (not to be confused with forest) was that movie for me. Cannibalism, rape, incest and a homicidal cult and Jim jones-like leader add up to one hell of a ride.

[quote name='JolietJake']Years ago when i first saw IT it freaked me out.

Why you ask?

it-clown-1.jpg

^^^Thats why.[/QUOTE]

agreed. I still hate clowns....only the krumpin' style has recently mellowed me out a bit about them...

bread's done
Back