Movies you thought were gonna suck but did'nt

[quote name='rabbitt']Kill Bill.

Yeah, I know.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I thought that was gonna suck too. but a sly arctic flightless bird that frequents these boards was semi fanatical over it at the time - so I gave it a shot and was glad I did.

Maybe I don't have the patience or don't know how to enjoy his movies, but I too found his movies pretty dull. But hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure, there are a some who very much enjoy his films, I'm just not one of them.

download True Legend

Youth in Revolt.

George Michael had definitely played out the awkward, observant teen character, and I didn't want to see yet another riff on that, but I figured I'd sit through it for the supporting cast. I was surprised at how funny the film is, it's good. The worst part of the movie is the forced indie soundtrack, otherwise the tone is perfect. GM does a great job with the split personality. If he'd have passed on a few movies between Arr Dev and Youth in Revolt, I think people would be more enthusiastic about him.

I sat through Scott Pilgrim much like I did Youth in Revolt: where I did it for Revolt's cast, I wanted to see the gaming references in Pilgrim. Too bad Pilgrim didn't hold up like Revolt, I should've skipped Pilgrim.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Tron Legacy. Although, having expectations low/nonexistent help too.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242703&page=112[/QUOTE]

Tron Legacy for me too.

Also Shrek Forever After. After Shrek the Third introduced us to Shrek's children, I figured the fourth movie would be just more poop and spit-up jokes, but I was pleasantly surprised when it instead turned out to be the Shrek version of "It's a Wonderful Life".

Most recently Thor and Xmen First Class.

Thor turned out to be good and First Class turned out to be great. I was surprised since I thought both would be awful.

Borne Trilogy - I was never a big fan of these spy/action movies. I saw the trailers but they never interested me. Everyone I know kept urging me for years to watch them. I finally caved on a trip to Japan. The flight I was on had an On-Demand type of service and I watched all three in a row. WTF took me so long?

[quote name='Xevious']I would have to say the Matrix. I hate Keanu Reeves but he was passable in that film (the story and the special effects were the real star anyways).

[/QUOTE]

This X10000000000000000 I never watched it in theaters. Always said looked stupid then I rented it and was like WOAH! WTF was I thinking?

[quote name='murph17']Hot Tub Time Machine

Sounded like a train wreck...LOVED that movie.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I didn't have any clue about the movie saw it for free and loved it!!!!!

[quote name='Rodimus']Borne Trilogy - I was never a big fan of these spy/action movies. I saw the trailers but they never interested me. Everyone I know kept urging me for years to watch them. I finally caved on a trip to Japan. The flight I was on had an On-Demand type of service and I watched all three in a row. WTF took me so long?[/QUOTE]

I honestly for the longest time couldn't see Matt Damon as an action star. Finally, I gave the first one a try and then I was like DAMN, time to watch the other two! :lol:

Others off the top of my head:

Minority Report - I'm not a huge Cruise or Farrell fan but, I love Spielberg so I gave it a try. Definitely, surpassed my expectations.

National Treasure - I never watched this for the longest until I found it cheap on dvd. Watched it the first time and really liked it. It's dumb fun and entertaining.

The Mummy Returns - Somehow, I completely missed this one and kept associated the Scorpion King movie with it. I finally saw it a few years ago and loved it!

Fantastic Four - I thought it looked mediocre and it got panned by critics. However, I watched it and enjoyed the film.

bread's done
Back