Moving from iPhone 3g to Android or Win 7. What do I need to know?

m3talst0rm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
After deciding to keep my iPhone 3g another year, I find that At&t (and yes, I'm sticking with AT&T)is running a pretty sweet deal on all Win7 phones and some Android phones, pricing them at only 1 cent each. I'm thinking of switching from apple to something else and would appreciate any input on the subject.

The link to the deal is here: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...75&mapcode=wireless-networks-general|consumer

In short, the site says:

Here’s a look at this year’s savings:

Friday, November 25, 12:01 a.m. ET

Touchscreen devices, including tablets, starting at unbelievably low prices
Saturday, November 26, 12:01 a.m. ET

All Windows 7 and select Android devices, for just $.01
Sunday, November 27, 12:01 a.m. ET

BlackBerry 9860 for only $.01, HTC Red Inspire for $29.99
Monday, November 28, 12:01 a.m. ET

A lineup of some of AT&T’s most popular smartphones—Motorola Atrix, Samsung Infuse, BlackBerry 9810, HTC Inspire and LG Thrill—all for only one cent!

On SlickDeals, everyone is talking about the Titan (Win 7.5), but, to be honest, I'm nervous about the Win7 platform. I think I'd be much more comfortable, mainly because of the number of apps available, on the Android OS.

With my limited knowledge I am looking at the Samsung Infuse and HTC Inspire. Though I know there are some newer and more "shinier" android phones out there, I'm looking for a penny phone.

Gaming is an issue, though I'd prefer to game on a dedicated system (i.e. 3ds or PSP), I still enjoy diversions with my iPhone. What kind of experience can I expect on an Android or Win 7 phone?

So, what does everyone think? Would a person who was generally satisfied with an iPhone 3g the past 2 or 3 years enjoy one of these Android devices? Should I give the Win7 phones more of a chance? Are the phones I'm looking at (Infuse and Inspire) too old to buy right now (Will they last another 2 years)?

Thanks!

Why don't you have a look at the Xperia Play phone? It can be had for 1c on contract renewal from Amazon, it's on AT&T, and it's an Android Phone. It's a 'gaming' phone (instead of a slide out keyboard, you have a slide out controller!)

I LOVE the android OS, I've got a Droid Incredible (first one). The only problem I have with it is the battery life, but that's a general smartphone issue and also one for the Incredible itself, not the OS in general.

Thanks for the input, but after looking at the att deal more closely, as well as the amazon deal, these prices are just for new lines. I want to upgrade.

With that limitation, I am looking at the Motorola Atrix 2 4G from Radio Shack. It is Free with 2-year contract (new or renewal).

Any opinions on that phone?

You should chat with a rep at amazon, usually 2 year upgrades get the same price as new phones, at least that's how how it's been with Verizon phones.

I haven't really done any research on phones in a long time, got my last phone ~18 months ago? when the Droid Incredible first came out.

I haven't heard anything about the Windows 7 phones, but everyone I known really loves their Iphone/Android phone, if you are looking at a specific phone you should check out some reviews to see what the pros/cons are. You may want to just look at the differences of iphone / android to see if you will be happy or if it's worth it for you to save up the cash for an iphone.

Actually the AT&T deal is for both new customers and upgrades. I have a Windows Phone currently and I love it. The amount of apps doesn't bother me as I can usually find what I need. The smoothness of the UI is only matched by the iPhone. The Windows Phone has Xbox Live integration which is nice because you can get some pretty decent games on their and get achievements for them as well. Both the Samsung Focus S and the HTC Titan are great choices in phones. Their hardware has been upgraded and although they don't have the dual cores of a lot of phones today, WP7 doesn't need them. It's already as smooth as you can get without any lag what so ever (can't say that about Android).

If you haven't tried Windows Phone 7, go out to AT&T and take it for a spin. The thing with Windows Phone is you won't know you love until you have it in your hands.

If you are more tech savvy, I completely understand Getting an Android device. The customization and the options you have are unmatched. If you want something more along the lines of an iPhone, then Windows Phone 7 will be a very refreshing experience and would be more of what you are looking for.

I would like to chime in on this, as i had a very similar experience not too long ago.

I was switching from my AT&T Iphone 3GS, and wanting to move to T-Mobile. Upgrade deals galore at the time, and plenty of options. There is only one T-Mobile store around me, and the only windows phone they had out on display was the HD7 and it was BROKEN! Could not see it, play with it, nothing... However i was able to try the HTC Sensation, which is an Android device.

Upon doing a lot of research, the Windows phone really intrigued me, but i wanted to try it before i bought it. I was there for 2 hours contemplating which one to get, and there was a restocking fee of 50$ if i wanted the other phone instead.

I was playing with the Sensation which was more money, but the specs were pretty good. The HD7 has simliar specs, and was the newest of the Windows Phones at the time (probably should have waited a month or so for the next wave of windows phones).

I went with my curiousity and chose the Windows Phone HD7. I could not be happier. Now a lot of the features that I bought it for have not been implemented, ie windows 7/8 integration, xbox live integration. However, once Mango came out, it was a beautiful thing! The phone just worked the way it was supposed to, and can easily be compared to an iphone and android for performance.

Customization is a very slim, but so was the iphone (unless jailbroken). There is a jailbreak for the windows phone that I have not dabbled into, but I don't feel the need to.

The windows 7 and windows 8 integration has yet to be released, but with the soon to be Dec 6th release of the xbox 360 dashboard, my phone will be utilized more.

As far as gaming, the xbox live games are by far the best games on the market. Cross platform gaming is said to be introduced at some point, then the windows phone gaming will be taken to a whole new level! (Cross platform arcade games such as full house poker, etc..)

If you're a heavy user of xbox live, or microsoft office, then the windows phone is a good option, and a must have after dec 6th.

I hope this helps, since there isn't a lot out there for the windows 7 phones

You should get an iPhone 4S for $200 with contract, sell it for $700, and buy yourself 3 android phones from cowboom.com with the profit. (the prices of android phones don't hold up well at all)

bread's done
Back