Moving truck help

W.arner1281

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
God damn it's fraking expensive to rent a large moving truck from San Diego to Oklahoma. :bomb: Estimates I've gotten are around $1300-1600. Anyone have any tips on ways to bring down the cost? We need to move all the major contents of our house (3 bedrooms) plus the contents of our daughter's apartment (1 bedroom), 2 small vehicles, and 3 pets (big dog + 2 cats). The specific dates of the move don't matter, although we're planning on starting a rental contract for July 1st. We can do it in either 1 or 2 trips.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Was that quote for all that stuff including driver? If so, that's really not that bad...[/quote]

Those look like U-haul rates. It's expensive but that's a pretty long drive.

[quote name='red flare graf']Those look like U-haul rates. It's expensive but that's a pretty long drive.[/quote]

That seems really high for a U-haul. I've rented a HUGE budget truck for

Yeah, the quote is the (online) range for the larger sizes of either a U-Haul, Budget, or Penske truck. I'm not paying some shmucks to break my shit and try to rip me off.

[quote name='Warner1281']From the tiny bit of research I've done so far, it seems like that's the rate for returning to the same location. On one-way trips, the prices get jacked.[/quote]

See, I actually ended up renting one from one city and moving to another and they didn't charge me anything to drop it off at the "new" location. This was with Budget. I'm not sure how the others work.

one way trips will raise the rates like crazy. i once helped a friend of a friend move, from the sacramento area to phoenix. the difference in rates was so high we drove the truck there and back even though its a crazy long drive. OK is a quite a bit rather though, so thats probably not an option, and driving an empty moving truck is not fun. i recently moved and it cost about $100 for an in-city move, so $1300 for a one way interstate move doesnt seem unreasonable.

bread's done
Back