mp3 players: looking for opinions; i'm including a few deals

thatstoobad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
i want an mp3 player. i've sold a bunch of cds i wasn't that concerned with owning, made more than enough money to cover the purchase, and am ready to buy one.

there's the creative brand, which can be purchased through amazon with what seem like good prices:
Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40 GB MP3 Player - $204.19 after $20 mail-in rebate

Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60 GB MP3 Jukebox - $278.34 no rebates

40 gb and 20 gb ipods at target.com are 10% off with any ONE of these coupon codes TDWELCME2224, TCTVTGC2SAVE, TCTENJANUARY, TCVSASAVETEN. this makes the 40 gb ipod about $355 and the 20 gb about $270. i don't really think this is the route i'm going to take.

DELL
20 GB Digital Jukebox MP3 Player with 1-Year Advanced Exchange Service
- $236.55

ok. so i'm thinking right now about the 40 gb creative player. it seem's like a really good deal, nearly 50% of what a 40 gb ipod costs. but, i have no experience with any of these players, so i would appreciate some input if anyone has any experience with any of these, specifically the creative players.

i know there is another thread about the zen micro, but i don't want something that holds so little (and the 40 gb player is less expensive than the micro), so i figured this should get its own topic.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I wish I didn't buy my iPod.

I mean, it's cool and everything, but it's not $500 cool. I think a lot of people get swept up with how trendy it is.

[quote name='Alpha2']Rio Karma 20gb, I've had one for just over 2 years, never had a major problem.
Cheap ass link[/quote]

I was thinking about getting one of these, i read they break easy have you dropped youra alot or anything because i know i will drop mine a few times and im not looking to return it everytime i do

Nomad Zen can break easily, if dropped. I've heard many prblems regarding this. My mother's iPod also broke in a strange fashion, while charging on her computer. I have and Archos Jukebox 10 and I've had it for 5 years and that thing runs so great, needless to say I've dropped it more than I can remember and that thing is still running smoothly. I recommend getting a Nomad if you're not going to drop it or looking into a Rio or Archos if you're less careful with things.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but is it possible to have your zen xtra stream music files to your computer so you can have the music play on your computer, but without the music files taking place?
Can any mp3 player do this? I'm asking because I have a bunch of credit at my college coop that could be used to buy one of those creative 30GB zen xtras.

Sorry for posting, and will delete if necessary, but what are the best mp3 players under 100? I'm only 17 and can't really afford a jukebox:whistle2:(

[quote name='MadChedar0']Sorry to bump an old topic, but is it possible to have your zen xtra stream music files to your computer so you can have the music play on your computer, but without the music files taking place?
Can any mp3 player do this? I'm asking because I have a bunch of credit at my college coop that could be used to buy one of those creative 30GB zen xtras.[/quote]
it's not really that old, though the deals on the creative players aren't that great now, since they raised the prices and the rebate is gone.

but anyways, i ended up ordering the 40 gb zen nomad player, and it's pretty good. it's not nearly as nice as an ipod, but it gets the job done well (especially for the price) and i'm happy with my purchase.

as far as streaming songs from the player to the computer, i just tried it and you can do it. i think you have to use the "creative mediasource" program that comes with the player, but that's not really a problem. so yeah, as long as they are on the player, they don't need to be on the computer.

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='MadChedar0']Sorry to bump an old topic, but is it possible to have your zen xtra stream music files to your computer so you can have the music play on your computer, but without the music files taking place?
Can any mp3 player do this? I'm asking because I have a bunch of credit at my college coop that could be used to buy one of those creative 30GB zen xtras.[/quote]
it's not really that old, though the deals on the creative players aren't that great now, since they raised the prices and the rebate is gone.

but anyways, i ended up ordering the 40 gb zen nomad player, and it's pretty good. it's not nearly as nice as an ipod, but it gets the job done well (especially for the price) and i'm happy with my purchase.

as far as streaming songs from the player to the computer, i just tried it and you can do it. i think you have to use the "creative mediasource" program that comes with the player, but that's not really a problem. so yeah, as long as they are on the player, they don't need to be on the computer.[/quote]

hey thatstoobad, is the battery user replaceable? i'm thinking about buying this one...

[quote name='kristianator']hey thatstoobad, is the battery user replaceable? i'm thinking about buying this one...[/quote]
yes. it has a detachable face plate, and underneath is the battery. it's very easy to replace.

newegg.com has $20 rebates for the 30gb and 40gb models (not for the 60gb model though) that run until the 11th of feb.

Cheap ass link

I'm very tempted, though the size is a turn off, and with no real nice remote it'll be a bitch to keep it in my bag and listen...iriver's remote has SO spoiled me, if only their HD player wasn't so expensive!

[quote name='humidore']newegg.com has $20 rebates for the 30gb and 40gb models (not for the 60gb model though) that run until the 11th of feb.

Cheap ass link

I'm very tempted, though the size is a turn off, and with no real nice remote it'll be a bitch to keep it in my bag and listen...iriver's remote has SO spoiled me, if only their HD player wasn't so expensive![/quote]

Thanks for posting that. I am seriously considering ordering one. I want an MP3 player, and that one seems like an awesome deal for $180. My only problem is that a part of me wants an iPod, just because they are so dang cool! Stupid Apple and their "you need an iPod to be cooL" Thing. Doh!

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='MadChedar0']Sorry to bump an old topic, but is it possible to have your zen xtra stream music files to your computer so you can have the music play on your computer, but without the music files taking place?

as far as streaming songs from the player to the computer, i just tried it and you can do it. i think you have to use the "creative mediasource" program that comes with the player, but that's not really a problem. so yeah, as long as they are on the player, they don't need to be on the computer.[/quote]

Cool, thatstoobad, I guess I just want a digital player so I can really just stream it onto my computer and not clutter the HD, and maybe take it along on long drives. Have you or anyone used one of those mp3 player car adapters? If so which would you recommend?

I'm surprised no CAGs picked up on this at Compusa:

http://techbargains.com/jump.cfm?id=360&arg=313937

Nomad Zen Xtra 40 gig for $200 after coupon code BEADS2 (exp. 2/12)

I'd hit this up but I'm currently obsessed with the Zen Touch. =/

[quote name='regisphilbi0'] Stupid Apple and their "you need an iPod to be cooL" Thing. Doh! [/quote]

Just find white headphones. It's a shallow solution, but it'll fool the shallow people that believe in that "Ipod=cool" thing

[quote name='magilacudy']I'm surprised no CAGs picked up on this at Compusa:

http://techbargains.com/jump.cfm?id=360&arg=313937

Nomad Zen Xtra 40 gig for $200 after coupon code BEADS2 (exp. 2/12)

I'd hit this up but I'm currently obsessed with the Zen Touch. =/

[quote name='regisphilbi0'] Stupid Apple and their "you need an iPod to be cooL" Thing. Doh! [/quote]

Just find white headphones. It's a shallow solution, but it'll fool the shallow people that believe in that "Ipod=cool" thing[/quote]

Stupid Question, but if I would do this, could I pick in store piick up? Or is it only online??

I do believe it can.

Not meaning to hijack the topic, but do any B&M stores sell the Zen Touch? I want to see how this thing is before I buy it.

Regisphilbi0 - I think it is only online, but it wouldn't hurt to call up your local CompUSA to see if they accept it, or have it on sale.

SteveMcQ - I haven't seen it anywhere. Believe me I've been searching through every electronics store - BB, Target, Circuit City, Walmart - and no one has it. These stores have Ipods and the accessories up the arse though, which doesn't exactly make me happy about the situation.

[quote name='magilacudy']Regisphilbi0 - I think it is only online, but it wouldn't hurt to call up your local CompUSA to see if they accept it, or have it on sale.

SteveMcQ - I haven't seen it anywhere. Believe me I've been searching through every electronics store - BB, Target, Circuit City, Walmart - and no one has it. These stores have Ipods and the accessories up the arse though, which doesn't exactly make me happy about the situation.[/quote]

The only place I've seen em is at Fry's. They had quite a few Zen Minis (so small!), and only maybe 1 or 2 Zen Xtras last time I was at one. Also, Fry's is the ONLY place I've ever seen the iriver HD players in a store...after hearing the iriver's with the colour screens can be flashed to play video files, I kinda really want one! 20GB for $300 tho :eek: (this is where someone super cool replies with a deal on it....cmon, i know yer out there! :wink: )

Sorry for posting, and will delete if necessary, but what are the best mp3 players under 100? I'm only 17 and can't really afford a jukebox:whistle2:(

Same Here. Anyone know any cheap ones.

I just bought the Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40 GB MP3 Player and I am very happy with it. I go running with it and have no problems as long as I carry it in my hand. (any HD based MP3 player is prone to freezing while running)

bread's done
Back