MP3 Players

steve_k

CAGiversary!
Which MP3 player is the best for the money? I like the IPOD Nano, but is it really worth $150? That seems kind of high. How about the Ipod Shuffle? I've already gone to Epinions.com, but I want to see what everyone here has to say before buying one.

Ipods are overpriced.

The Zen Vision: M (30 Gb) beats the 30 Gb Ipod Video in nearly every category (like battery life, screen quality, features in general (radio, radio recorder, voice recorder).
And it's only $200 on Amazon right now, so I'm sure you could find it even cheaper elsewhere.

The smaller ipods are overpriced, you do pay a lot for the name. But you're also paying for the access to millions of accessories.
If I were buying now, I'd buy the 80GB ipod video. Dollars per gig, it's the best deal, and lots of the features of the Zen or Zune I would never use (fm radio? 3-use wireless sharing? please.)
It sounds like you're more interested in physical size rather than storage capacity, so our foci might not be the same, but depending on your usage patterns, I'd definitely suggest looking at the HD based ones.

What are looking for? Mp3 player with video, and/or fm tuner? Size and weight are important. Don't get a Creative Zen Sleek anything, they suck. Ipods are okay, but there are few other mp3 players like samsungs that deserve a look.

Also any company that makes flash drives and makes mp3 players usually sucks. Memorex and Scandisk mp3 players are crap both me and my friends pcs had extreme difficulty recognizing them.

My wife and I each have a Creative Labs Microphoto. She has a 8GB and I have a 4GB. Neither of us has had any problems. I like the built in FM tuner, don't use it that often but it is nice to have sometimes.

Just picked up a Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB for $30 after rebate @ buy.com yesterday. But that's dead now. Already have an iPod 3G 20GB which is great, (though obsolete...) but couldn't pass this up at the price.

I wouldn't pay $100+ for something with just a few GB of space. But that's just me.

I like http://reviews.cnet.com for another free place to read up on these things.

[quote name='dtcarson']The smaller ipods are overpriced, you do pay a lot for the name. But you're also paying for the access to millions of accessories.
[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point. The iPod dominates the market so the lion's share of accessories are made with the iPod specifically in mind.

There are a couple of good creative mp3 players on buy.com and google checkout to boot.

bread's done
Back