MS: Gears of War disks are ruining 360 DVD drives

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']And read what Nintendo had to say

Another statement[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']Unless you want to get into technical "well that word really means x" bullshit, it basically a recall.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what Nintendo has to say about it.

They are replacing product that isn't up to their standards. If nothing was wrong with the original product there is no way is hell Nintendo would replace these at a lose for no reason other then too "idiot-proof".

Same way a few Xbox power strips were bursting into flames a few years ago, so they recalled millions just to be on the safe side.

[quote name='Sporadic']It doesn't matter what Nintendo has to say about it.

[/quote]
Yeah, it only matters what Sporadic has to say about it.

Why were the power supplies recalled? Because they were faulty.

The Wii straps were never meant as the means to prevent it from flying out of your hand. Much like the strap on a camera on cell phone case. If I swing a wiimote around by the new strap, the new strap will probably break too.

Originally Posted by Sporadic
Unless you want to get into technical "well that word really means x" bullshit, it basically a recall.
Sorry, didn't mean to use things like definitions to make a point.

[quote name='Sarang01']Thanks to everyone for giving me the go ahead not to bother buying GoW. I wanted to try it but if this bs is happening I'll pass. Have these problems only been heard of on American discs or what?
Hopefully "Blue Dragon" won't suffer these problems as well as rest of the Mistwalker games.[/QUOTE]

Man, It's worth the risk. The chances of it happening are very slim. Plus, if it does crap out better now than later. MS will fix it. I have a launch unit and no problems as of yet. I'm kind of waiting for something to happen so I can get it fixed. This is just part of getting a new console. *see ps3 threads over the next few months*

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']Yeah, it only matters what Sporadic has to say about it.[/QUOTE]

Let's see, I could go with my own opinion formed by looking at the facts or I could side with Nintendo's PR department.

Yeah, real hard choice.

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']Why were the power supplies recalled? Because they were faulty.

The Wii straps were never meant as the means to prevent it from flying out of your hand. Much like the strap on a camera on cell phone case. If I swing a wiimote around by the new strap, the new strap will probably break too.
[/QUOTE]

And you want to know why the straps are being "replaced"?

Because there were enough idiots breaking them by twirling them for Nintendo to go "oh shit something is wrong here" and offer to replace 3 million of them.

Again, companies don't offer to replace things (at a lose) because it makes them all warm and fuzzy inside. They do it because obviously something went wrong and they are trying to make good before they are buried in bad press.

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']Sorry, didn't mean to use things like definitions to make a point.[/QUOTE]

Look, I've been on these interweb long enough to know that eventually you would go "well Sporadic they didn't ask for them back THEREFORE it's not a recall :drool: "

Which is why I brought up those Xbox power supplies. I didn't send my old one back and they still sent me a new one. If you go by the technical definition of recall, then that wasn't a recall either.

See where I was going with that?

[quote name='Sporadic']

And you want to know why the straps are being "replaced"?

Because there were enough idiots twirling them around causing them to break for Nintendo to go "oh shit something is wrong here" and offer to replace 3 million of them.

[/quote]

Which goes to show that the fault is not in the strap. It's in the idiot. Thank you.

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']Which goes to show that the fault is not in the strap. It's in the idiot. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

:drool: Well, thank you too for ignoring everything in my post besides that one line in the middle of my sentence :drool:

Listen, if the strap would have been this second revision in the first place none of this would have happened.

It takes two to tango and it's Nintendo's fault for not testing it more before putting it out there especially when they are going after kids and non-gaming adults (AKA people who feel they really have to exaggerate their movements)

It is Nintendo's fault. The marketed the Wii as something where you're supposed to move around alot, ducking behind your couch and whatnot. Some people who bought it don't even know that you don't have to act like an idiot while playing. Some misguided people think you can even use it for excercise. Face it, Nintendo screwed up.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']It is Nintendo's fault. The marketed the Wii as something where you're supposed to move around alot, ducking behind your couch and whatnot. Some people who bought it don't even know that you don't have to act like an idiot while playing. Some misguided people think you can even use it for excercise. Face it, Nintendo screwed up.[/QUOTE]

That's the funniest thing I have seen so far about the Wii and it's advertising. People are buying this thing in droves thinking they will be running around their living room, diving behind furniture, spinning around like a maniac and waving their arms around like a runway attendant.

When in reality, 98% of everyone playing any Wii game will sit on the couch and flick their wrists at the most, when the gimmick has worn off.

I'm also having this problem with my 360, it is a week old and the only game I have is gow and I kept getting dre's so I took it back to ebgames assuming it was the game because it was preowned so the 2nd copy did the same thing , went ahead and paid the difference for a new one and now it still give's me the error's and my disk has 2 deep ass circle scratches on it. I do not stand my system up , and it's in an area where it can breathe. I called Microsoft and they tried to make it look like my fault and then they told me it would be fixed for free since it's still well into warranty. Then they told me they wouldn't replace my gow and that they could give me perfect dark , kameo , xbox arcade, or viva fucking pinata. of course I was pissed so I asked if their was overnight shipping for free still because they used to do that and they informed me that it is ups ground so it will take 3-4 days to get their , 2 days for them to fix it and another 3-4 days to get back to me. Then they told me I had to pay for shipping their and they pay for it back then I got pissed and spoke with a supervisor and of course I'm getting free shipping now.

Bottem line ms customer service sux ass.

Man, my GoW is making Horrible noises in my disc drive when loading it up and playing it, like its getting the shit scratched out of it or ruining my drive, and i get lots of DRE messages from time to time, last night, i turned off my 360 after playing GoW, and when i rebooted it later on that night, it says there was a DVD in the 360, not a game, when i booted it, it gave me that PDZ bullshit, please insert a 360 game disc. i dont know if its my 360 or my GoW disc, but no other games * except launch PDZ , but everyone knows that widespread problem * gives me any grief.

I received Gears of War as a Christmas gift and played into Act 3 of the game so far. After Gears, I played Rainbow Six: Vegas and Call of Duty 3 for a while, but soon afterwards, I started to get Disc Read Errors with every game that I try to play.

[quote name='bortle']As someone who worked in customer service (though on a much smaller scale than MS) during college, I can tell you that customer service reps will tell you whatever they can to get you off the phone so they can get back to surfing the internet.[/quote]

I can second that since a part of my job is customer service, and i whole heartly agree.

Goody, just got my 360 last week and GoW yesterday. This thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've read almost every post in this thread, and the vast majority are not even posting about Gears of War, just some reliability flame war. Why are we discussing wii straps here?

Out of the 2 million+ Gears of War discs that have been sold, I think we should see more people complaining that it broke their system than the handful in this thread, if it was actually true. The title is too alarmist.

I don't care whether people believe it's true or not.. I think it's very real for the few of us it has happened to. Even though the majority of players aren't having any issues, there is definitely something going on.. just search around a little.

My system ran flawless until the very first time I put Gears in the drive. It played very loudly and ever since, it's been giving me disc errors, red lights, noises, freezing in every freaking game, you name it. I can't even turn it on anymore without seeing those horrible red lights.

It seems hard not to put the blame on Gears here.

i just got a 360 for xmas with a manufacture date of 10-26-06 on it. i bought GOW and was playing today. i played, took a break, continued, took another break.

when i tried to go back, i now can't get past the main menu. i try to continue campaign, and it quickly shows the loading screen then goes right back to the difficulty select screen.

i try again

same thing.

i try to start a new campaign or start from a different chapter, same thing. loading screen, then right back to the difficulty select screen.

i know it's not the 360 because i played a game of nba 2k7 just fine.

don't know what to do now.

[quote name='jpuma1']i just got a 360 for xmas with a manufacture date of 10-26-06 on it. i bought GOW and was playing today. i played, took a break, continued, took another break.

when i tried to go back, i now can't get past the main menu. i try to continue campaign, and it quickly shows the loading screen then goes right back to the difficulty select screen.

i try again

same thing.

i try to start a new campaign or start from a different chapter, same thing. loading screen, then right back to the difficulty select screen.

i know it's not the 360 because i played a game of nba 2k7 just fine.

don't know what to do now.[/quote]

Holy crap I was just going to post the same exact thing. I played online multiplayer last night but tonight I can't get the single player to load at all. I select "casual" and the laoding screen pops up for a second and then I get kicked back out to the "select difficulty" menu. WTF???

I swear to god I HATE the 360 hardware - I just had it refurbed and now for some reason no USB devices are being recognized (camera and HD-DVD drive). I turned everything off and unplugged all the connection and tried again and got nothing. I want to scream.

[quote name='javeryh']Holy crap I was just going to post the same exact thing. I played online multiplayer last night but tonight I can't get the single player to load at all. I select "casual" and the laoding screen pops up for a second and then I get kicked back out to the "select difficulty" menu. WTF???

I swear to god I HATE the 360 hardware - I just had it refurbed and now for some reason no USB devices are being recognized (camera and HD-DVD drive). I turned everything off and unplugged all the connection and tried again and got nothing. I want to scream.[/quote]
i just figured it out. if i'm signed into xbox live with my gamertag, i can't start any sort of game.

but

if i'm not signed in to xbox live, the game works. weird indeed. i don't know whether to return the game or just to have my xbox replaced with a new one.

[quote name='javeryh']Holy crap I was just going to post the same exact thing. I played online multiplayer last night but tonight I can't get the single player to load at all. I select "casual" and the laoding screen pops up for a second and then I get kicked back out to the "select difficulty" menu. WTF??? [/QUOTE]
Same problem here. I just got GOW for xmas and now I can't continue. If I sign out of Xbox Live, it won't let me continue my campaign. This both sucks and blows.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Same problem here. I just got GOW for xmas and now I can't continue. If I sign out of Xbox Live, it won't let me continue my campaign. This both sucks and blows.[/quote]

i'm guessing this means it's the game and not the system?

OK guys, I think Live is down right now and this is what is causing all of the problems... hopefully tomorrow everything will work. Annoying.

Just got off the phone with Xbox tech. Here's the temp fix:

Go to System blade, Memory, Y for Device Options, then hit X, X, LB, RB, X, X to pull up a maintenance window. Yes for routine maintenance.

When I started up GOW again it asked if I wanted to update, Tech Guy says No for now. Xbox Live is still down and they are working on it. He said to call back tomorrow. But this will let you sign in and play saved campaign mode.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Just got off the phone with Xbox tech. Here's the temp fix:

Go to System blade, Memory, Y for Device Options, then hit X, X, LB, RB, X, X to pull up a maintenance window. Yes for routine maintenance.

When I started up GOW again it asked if I wanted to update, Tech Guy says No for now. Xbox Live is still down and they are working on it. He said to call back tomorrow. But this will let you sign in and play saved campaign mode.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see this, thanks. I was kinda worried there for a sec. I knew Xbox Live wasn't working, but to screw up our ability to play regular, offline campaign,sucks.

[quote name='jovherye']Glad to see this, thanks. I was kinda worried there for a sec. I knew Xbox Live wasn't working, but to screw up our ability to play regular, offline campaign,sucks.[/quote]

that's what worried me also. esp. being a 3 day xbox 360 user and hearing/reading all these hardware horror stories.

i hadn't planned to get a 360 till the 65nm iteration, but i ended up getting it as a gift!

I tried the maintenace check and it still didn't allow me to play when logged in. Oh well, atleast I know it's something with live, and presumably fixable.

Well my Gears crapped out on me. I've played it for about three weeks and today while playing single player the game wouldn't read anymore. I re-inserted it about 5 times trying both single and multiplayer games, nothing worked. I took a look at the disk and noticed 4 small scratches on it, I have no idea how they got there because I treat my games very well. I tried out my copy of Viva Pinata and it played fine. Now I'm stuck with a Gears that doesn't work. fuck.

[quote name='King']Well my Gears crapped out on me. I've played it for about three weeks and today while playing single player the game wouldn't read anymore. I re-inserted it about 5 times trying both single and multiplayer games, nothing worked. I took a look at the disk and noticed 4 small scratches on it, I have no idea how they got there because I treat my games very well. I tried out my copy of Viva Pinata and it played fine. Now I'm stuck with a Gears that doesn't work. fuck.[/QUOTE]

Assuming it is just the disc that went bad, can't you either exchange it where you bought it, or else I think all games have a 90 day warranty from the publisher according to the manual.

I don't see how a disc itself can go bad unless they were defectively imprinted. And is there even anything in the disc drive mechanism capable of scratching the disc?

The theory that it reads too much from the disc causing the drive to burn out is the only one that even seems possible to me, but then your other games shouldn't work.

I'm also curious if the people who get these problems play with the 360 vertical or horizontal. Even though it should be able to play vertically, it seems like gravity would have more of a chance at knocking something out of whack.

I play mines on vertical or horizontal depending on what objects I can safely land my 360 on top of. currently its playing on a flat stool 2.5 feet in the above ground. I have the GoW Collector's edition (the disc looks exactly the same as the regular version's game disc as far as the cd art goes). I've played only GoW for at least 3 weeks now and have had no problems at all. My first and only freeze occurred when i placd my 360 horizontal on my carpet floor which the manuals high advise AGAINST. I felt the heat and never placed it near any obstructions again.

By the way, you can connect laptop coolers on the bottom as I have. As long as the coolers have nubs to slightly elevate the 360 unit, it should be fine (that way, none of the holes are completely blocked/covered. the laptop cooler helps redirect the hot air away).

bread's done
Back