Ms Pacman hits XBLA 400 points. Your thoughts? *OUT NOW*

[quote name='Lonestar9']Now this game is worth getting!! One of my old time favorites, I'm there.
I do hope next week we some new content though...[/QUOTE]

Same here. Have any of you that are bitching actually played Ms. Pac-Man? It is a different game, much better than Pac-Man. The different boards alone make it superior to Pac's one maze monotony. I'm just wondering if they are going to incorporate the "speed chip" option in the game. That would rock.

I'm disappointed they didn't throw it up there today. Ms. Pac-Man is my all time favorite arcade classic.

looks like Ms Pacman isn't going up this week on XBLA, following is from MGC.net's news subsection.

[quote name='news.mygamercard.net']
Update: We apologize for our previous report that Ms. Pac-Man was hitting the Arcade tomorrow, as part of Xbox Live Arcade Wednesday.

TeamXbox has gotten word that there will be no release at all this week. Although we considered our source extremely reliable, and we still do, it seems mistakes were made, and information changed between the morning and the afternoon. Seems something went wrong in Seattle with getting an Arcade game out today. TeamXbox states that the Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays program will be resuming next week. Our apologies for any confusion and inconvenience.[/quote]

[quote name='KingDox']Is this the same MS Pacman port that the came with the Xbox Arcade demo disks that came out for the Original Xbox Arcade.[/QUOTE]

It probably is. I'm basing this off playing the demos of Namco's other arcade games on 360. They all follow the small usage of screen with a static background image around the play area format. Ms Pacman had the same thing for XBOX Live Arcade disc for original XBOX.

Plus, quite a few of the 360 Live arcade games are from the XBOX Live arcade.

It’s Ms. Pac-Man’s Turn to Waka-Waka On Xbox Live Arcade

The amiable munching yellow ball returns in this week’s Arcade Wednesday release – this time she’s sporting a big red bow on top. The classic retro coin-op from Namco Bandai Games, “Ms. Pac-Man,” will be available for download on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 beginning Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 9 a.m. GMT (1 a.m. PST).

“Ms. Pac-Man” will be available worldwide for 400 Microsoft Points.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/01/08/539825.aspx

Ugh, fuck you Microsoft.

What the hell was the point of pushing it back a week?

[quote name='Sporadic']What the hell was the point of pushing it back a week?[/QUOTE]

To punish us for making fun of Canessa's lisp. And New Rally X.

I was under the impression that MS didn't want companies releasing multiple versions of the same franchise on XBLA. Yet, here comes the pinnacle example of that kind of double-dipping.

Hmm.

[quote name='mykevermin']I was under the impression that MS didn't want companies releasing multiple versions of the same franchise on XBLA. Yet, here comes the pinnacle example of that kind of double-dipping.

Hmm.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how Microsoft (one of the most powerful companies out there) let publishers walk all over them.

Knowing some XBLA developers, who lament endlessly about how Microsoft is really really big on diversifying XBLA games. They won't allow any other Street Fighters or Mortal Kombats, ever.

I can't believe they would allow this release to begin with. Sequels are suppose to be off-limits.

[quote name='mykevermin']I was under the impression that MS didn't want companies releasing multiple versions of the same franchise on XBLA. Yet, here comes the pinnacle example of that kind of double-dipping.

Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Greg Canessa is a fucking retard, that's why, and should be fired.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Knowing some XBLA developers, who lament endlessly about how Microsoft is really really big on diversifying XBLA games. They won't allow any other Street Fighters or Mortal Kombats, ever.

I can't believe they would allow this release to begin with. Sequels are suppose to be off-limits.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that. Super C should be coming out in the near future and was shown at TGS.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/newrallyx/news.html?sid=6158293

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I don't buy that. Super C should be coming out in the near future and was shown at TGS.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/newrallyx/news.html?sid=6158293[/QUOTE]

Trust me. I've personally heard the frustration of developers that get their idea of game design for an XBLA game or idea to port a classic shot down for reasons of diversity all the time.

Every prospecting XBLA developer who wants Microsoft to greenlight their game knows that the biggest key is to make sure it's a game there is nothing like already.

I may end up buying this since my wife prefers Ms. Pacman to the original. I may even have to buy Lumines Live! for her as well. Go figure?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Every prospecting XBLA developer who wants Microsoft to greenlight their game knows that the biggest key is to make sure it's a game there is nothing like already.[/QUOTE]

This makes me wonder when Microsoft is going to stop using that excuse. I mean, there comes a point where having tons of content outweighs the need for diversity. Hell, look at the PS2 and Xbox game libraries. Tell me there aren't a plethora of similar games in there. Oh well, hopefully these devs will take their idea to Sony's online service. I need a reason to buy the PS3...

If anyone buys this, remove them from your friends list.

[quote name='thwjustin']If anyone buys this, remove them from your friends list.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy it simply because I'm a huge Ms. Pac-Man fan and it's a good time waster while I wait for demo's to download.

Like I said earlier, I NEVER would have bought Pac-Man if I knew Ms Pac-Man was coming... I assumed the whole "we only want one iteration of a series" was going to stick.

Ms Pac-Man >>>> Pac-Man, FWIW.

The last 3 posters are the only sane people in this thread. :)

the Ms. owns the Mr.

I don't think MS can win with you people. They don't release anything and people bitch that they aren't sticking to their weekly "promise." They release a game and you bitch because it isn't one you want. Lose-Lose situation for some people.

Lastly, Ms. Pac-Man is a different game and has her own fan base seperate from the average Pac-Man loyalist. It isn't just a sequel. Most Pac-Man loyalists despise the Ms., and anyone who likes any kind of variety at all in their gameplay prefer Ms. Pac-Man. Anyone who grew up prior to the Playstation generation knows this. I'm fairly certain it would be easy to peg the ages of the dissenters in this thread.

Well a lot of the problem I have with the game is that it brings nothing new to the table. I am all for classic ports, in fact I actually could care less about the new stuff and just want ports, but by and large I want the ports to bring something new to the table. Ms. Pac-Man has been in a compilation on just about every system released in the past ten years.

I wouldn't mind too much, but at least they could have thrown in the pac-man vs. with Live support.

Eh, screw it - I'm buying. I haven't bought a XBLA game since Cloning Clyde (I think) and Ms. Pac-man is my second favorite arcade game (Mr. Do! is the best EVAR!!!). I do have a working arcade table though and I play Ms. Pac-man all the time.... hmmm... maybe I just want 200 super easy achievement points? Meh, $5 isn't that much...

i will be buying it.

i had the sega genesis Ms. Pacman.
i remember getting up to like level 30 in that one.

The only problem I have is that if MS didn't lie and say they were only allowing one iteration of a series, I would have skipped Pac-Man entirely.

[quote name='Roufuss']The only problem I have is that if MS didn't lie and say they were only allowing one iteration of a series, I would have skipped Pac-Man entirely.[/quote]

Watch out for Jr. Pac-man next! That game is freaking tough.

They should have released a Pac-man compilation for $10 that included:

1. Pac-man
2. Ms. Pac-man
3. Jr. Pac-man
4. Super Pac-man
5. Pac & Pal
6. Pac-man Plus

I'd buy that in a second.

[quote name='javeryh']Watch out for Jr. Pac-man next! That game is freaking tough.

1. Pac-man
2. Ms. Pac-man
3. Jr. Pac-man
4. Super Pac-man
5. Pac & Pal
6. Pac-man Plus

I'd buy that in a second.[/quote]

Whoa, you sure know your Pac-Men.

I looked up Pac & Pal

yPac_&_Pal.png

Looks weird....

[quote name='thwjustin']If anyone buys this, remove them from your friends list.[/QUOTE]
Early candidate for quote of the year. I hope to see this line invoked many times in the coming months.

Another pathetic release. Yes, Ms. Pac-Man is better than Pac-Man. Yes, it's a classic game. No, it's not worth 5 bucks. No, it's not an acceptable release for XBLA at this point. They should be releasing two or three of these kinds of games at a time.

And again - fuck Greg Canessa. Fire his incompetent, lisping, lying ass.

[quote name='javeryh']Watch out for Jr. Pac-man next! That game is freaking tough.

1. Pac-man
2. Ms. Pac-man
3. Jr. Pac-man
4. Super Pac-man
5. Pac & Pal
6. Pac-man Plus

I'd buy that in a second.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Baby Pac-Man! I did love me some Super Pac-Man though.

All previous versions of Pac-Man on the 360 have sucked.

Ms Pac-Man is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'll stick with my plug-and-play joystick version.

XBLA sucks.

[quote name='KaneRobot']You forgot Baby Pac-Man! I did love me some Super Pac-Man though.[/quote]

Baby Pac-man is a pinball hybrid so I left it out. Great game though but it's nearly impossible to find nowadays.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Well a lot of the problem I have with the game is that it brings nothing new to the table. I am all for classic ports, in fact I actually could care less about the new stuff and just want ports, but by and large I want the ports to bring something new to the table. Ms. Pac-Man has been in a compilation on just about every system released in the past ten years.

I wouldn't mind too much, but at least they could have thrown in the pac-man vs. with Live support.[/QUOTE]

This is the first logical and valid complaint in the whole thread.

For those wanting a bundle, would a cheaper price point per Pac release be easier to swallow? Say 200 pts?

The main problem I have with it is that it should not have been the only XBLA release in two weeks. It should have just been a second release this week to something else.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I wouldn't mind too much, but at least they could have thrown in the pac-man vs. with Live support.[/QUOTE]

Now that I'd buy! Such a fun game but i only played it once with four people.

Blame Namco. Konami and the publisher that brought us the Williams' retro games don't seem to have a problem implementing one or more forms of online play (laggy as they may at times be). I guess I'm never going to get to play Galaga alternating two-player style online like I've been waiting for for the last five or six years.

Here's a thought: maybe there's a clever strategy behind tomorrow's Xbox Live Arcade release. With most gamers preoccupied with the new Gears of War maps, it's the perfect time to re-release Ms. Pac-Man (remember, this was Xbox Arcade's launch title). With the overused classic out of the way, and the Gears maps thoroughly romped, next week, we'll be ready for a major XBLA release. Enter: PopCap's Heavy Weapon.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Wow effing microsoft...
I thought it would have been worms.
I'm wondering when the new frogger comes out because that looked pretty fun. Where is SOTN?[/quote]

worms would be freakin great on xbl. i cant believe i havent thought of that until now. i would have to be calling off work if that comes out on it.

[quote name='nativetongue88']worms would be freakin great on xbl. i cant believe i havent thought of that until now. i would have to be calling off work if that comes out on it.[/quote]

Actually, Worms is comming out for XBLA...no idea when its getting released

Ms Pacman is worth $2.50 if you are willing to go half in with a friend (see shipwreck's guide). I personally think other $5 games have been much better values (Smash TV, Contra).

People should get mad at Microsoft for not releasing enough games, don't hate on the game itself. Nobody is making you buy or play it.

[quote name='porieux']People should get mad at Microsoft for not releasing enough games, don't hate on the game itself. Nobody is making you buy or play it.[/QUOTE]

QFT!

It's out if anyone cares, LOL

EDIT: So I did bite, and I got it. Meh, I loved Ms Pac-Man so oh well. It IS different in ways, and it is a better game then Pac-Man. The achievements are only 1 or 2 achievements different then Pac-Man, such as eat 3 ghosts with 1 power pellet. The eat all ghosts with 1 power pellet is still there..as well as the Perfect achievement of eat all ghosts with the power pellet 4 times in 1 stage :(

Also, it does come with a gamerpic like we all thought. It's not Ms Pac-Man. Pacman came with the red ghost (Blinky?) and this game comes with the pink ghost (Pinky I assume, LOL)

Meh, fun game. Easy points. I'd recommend it especially if you HAVEN'T downloaded Pac-Man. If you are gonna download 1 Pac-Man, get this one :)

[quote name='lilboo']It's out if anyone cares, LOL

EDIT: So I did bite, and I got it. Meh, I loved Ms Pac-Man so oh well. It IS different in ways, and it is a better game then Pac-Man. The achievements are only 1 or 2 achievements different then Pac-Man, such as eat 3 ghosts with 1 power pellet. The eat all ghosts with 1 power pellet is still there..as well as the Perfect achievement of eat all ghosts with the power pellet 4 times in 1 stage :(

Also, it does come with a gamerpic like we all thought. It's not Ms Pac-Man. Pacman came with the red ghost (Blinky?) and this game comes with the pink ghost (Pinky I assume, LOL)

Meh, fun game. Easy points. I'd recommend it especially if you HAVEN'T downloaded Pac-Man. If you are gonna download 1 Pac-Man, get this one :)[/quote]

The four ghosts in Pac-man are Shadow (Blinky), Speedy (Pinky), Bashful (Inky) and Pokey (Clyde) and their names represent their personalities (Shadow chases you, Speedy is fast, Bashful runs away from you and Pokey is slow).

The four ghosts in Ms. Pac-man are the same except Clyde is renamed "Sue" but their personalities are similar (even though they are "smarter" than the ghosts in Pac-man because they behave randomly).

bread's done
Back