MSI Geforce 460GTX Hawk Edition - $189.99 @ Amazon

ThaEvilGenius

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00446CJDM?ie=UTF8&seller=A3OQF1XHMVF0BN&sn=305 Computers

Great card, I did a lot of research on it before buying one. Thought I would also share the deal with you all.

This card Has the potential to perform at the 470 level when overclocking which it is a beast at overclocking due to the MSI heatsink on it.

This is the lowest I have seen this card online. I just picked one up from this store on Amazon, had good experience with them buying 360 games in the past.

I needed a new card for Rift, this should do.

Edit: Price was lowered this morning to $184.99

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the quality of this card. I'm not sure what prices are going to look like with nVidia announcements, but I've been very happy with the Hawk edition.

If you look under buying choices it's only $10 more direct from Amazon with free shipping. I think I'd go that route since shipping is $7 from the other vendor, and I'd rather deal with the Az.

[quote name='daminion']If you look under buying choices it's only $10 more direct from Amazon with free shipping. I think I'd go that route since shipping is $7 from the other vendor, and I'd rather deal with the Az.[/QUOTE]

I bought from this store because as I said I have bought 360 games from the same store in the past. With all the stores on Amazon you can check the seller rating and this store is at 100% positive.

Free shipping from Amazon is usually ground too, so you will probably get it slower.

Up to you though, I chose the $10 cheaper deal, as I am a cheap ass gamer!!! LOL.

[quote name='ThaEvilGenius']

Up to you though, I chose the $10 cheaper deal, as I am a cheap ass gamer!!! LOL.[/QUOTE]

....who posted a video card deal in the video GAMES forum.

Nice.

1) Yes you can argue that you can use it for games, and yes you can argue that people post consoles and controllers, but traditionally, these usually go in "Other deals"

2) This card has been as low as $159 after rebate from newegg.

Thanks though, for trying to contribute - at least you try to give back to the board, cheers!

[quote name='nikkai']....who posted a video card deal in the video GAMES forum.

Nice.

1) Yes you can argue that you can use it for games, and yes you can argue that people post consoles and controllers, but traditionally, these usually go in "Other deals"

2) This card has been as low as $159 after rebate from newegg.

Thanks though, for trying to contribute - at least you try to give back to the board, cheers![/QUOTE]

Yea this is a gaming card, from the titles on each forum, it fits best here IMO. If you are a console gamer, skip it, but great for PC gamers. if not they can move it. Other section says non-video game related such as magazines and contests.

Now, this card has never been at $159. Not the MSI 1GB Hawk edition. You can get a vanilla 460 with less RAM(768) or a cheaper, unknown namebrand maybe, but not this one for this price.

This card is considered the best 460 out there due to the way yo can overclock it and the quality of the board and heatsink which allows it to maintain such cool temperatures and stability overclocked.

The price went down today to $184.99 now, so the deal is even better.

I use this graphics card and its amazing. Play all games at max settings and get at least 30FPS. Crysis at max is about 20 FPS when things are batshit insane. Thats without overclocking though which is super easy with MSI Afterburner. Thanks OP may buy another one so I can SLI.

[quote name='ThaEvilGenius']Yea this is a gaming card, from the titles on each forum, it fits best here IMO. If you are a console gamer, skip it, but great for PC gamers. if not they can move it. Other section says non-video game related such as magazines and contests.

Now, this card has never been at $159. Not the MSI 1GB Hawk edition. You can get a vanilla 460 with less RAM(768) or a cheaper, unknown namebrand maybe, but not this one for this price.

This card is considered the best 460 out there due to the way yo can overclock it and the quality of the board and heatsink which allows it to maintain such cool temperatures and stability overclocked.

The price went down today to $184.99 now, so the deal is even better.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* just going by the history of CAG and its stance on computer hardware.

Anyways, yes it has been $159 - search the other deal forums, via the egg. Yes I know it's the Hawk edition. Yes I know there was a previous talon edition.

It's the best stock set up out of the box for the 460, yes - . Bear in mind it's a bigger than most 460 so you potentially lose a PCIx slot, and it has a quite the footprint, so some smaller ATX cases will have some issues.

The Twin FrozrII fan is one of the better stock fan setups, but it will be louder than the average GTX460 set up.

Last thing regarding OC'ing this card: While the PCB may be special the GPU chip it self is ordinary, so all those voltage controls are pretty useless - be careful with how much voltage you decide to send to the card.

But bottom line - it's a great single card with potential to overclock, but don't expect to get to 1ghz w/o some significant work. It's a decent price as OP posted, but it HAS been cheaper.

this needs moar H.A.W.X!!

Oh and:

nic-cage-birdhair.jpg

[quote name='fujimitsu']This has been sub $100 AR several times.[/QUOTE]

This exact model? No. The lowest it has gone down to it $160 that I can find. It was actually $160 at newegg a few weeks ago, and $160 at Amazon a few weeks before that.

[quote name='ThaEvilGenius']Up to you though, I chose the $10 cheaper deal, as I am a cheap ass gamer!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

You paid $190 + $6.50 shipping, so $196.50 total. Amazon's price was $199.00 shipped, so you chose the $2.50 cheaper deal. Still cheaper, but just saying it wasn't $10 cheaper.

I would say that for anyone looking at this card to wait for the $160ish price it keeps hitting. The price it is at right now is pretty standard.

[quote name='fujimitsu']This has been sub $100 AR several times.[/QUOTE]

i think you are referring the to 768mb version, which is a decent card but not that appealing unless you are on a real budget. i would spend the extra money for the 1gb versions.

i was looking into purchasing dual gtx 460 1gb a few months ago (never really pulled the trigger after 500 series was announced). Usually i'm an evga fan due to their excellent customer support and warranty, but since they didn't offer a gtx 460 1gb with reference cooler and lifetime warranty i looked for alternatives and the msi hawk seemed to be a superior card due to better cooling fans, better looking metal shroud, military grade pcb and capacitors, msi afterburner support, and the fact that at the time someone broke records by overclocking the hawk to over 1000mhz (he had a freak card, i'm pretty sure your card would blow up if you tried to replicate what he did)

anyways, just fyi there is a superior "talon attack" version of this card with better memory for overclocking. i think another poster said it might be discontinued (i'm not sure about that as i haven't looked into it in a while). amazon never carried it and i inquired. the only place i found that stocked it was newegg.

this is still a good card. i can see it dropping in price or be EOL and cease production soon since the gtx560 ti was released earlier this week. gf100 chipsets are already discontinued, but nvidia might keep gtx460 around to battle in the 150-200 market with the gtx560 taking on the 200-250+ market. i would personally get a gtx560 since it's 20-30% increase in performance from gtx460 whereas the gtx580 was only about 10%+ increase over the gtx480 but most of the 500 series cards offer better cooling and lower power consumption than the 400 series.

Price of this card will be dropping sometime soon, with the GTX 560 Ti just being released and being anywhere from 20% - 30% faster than the GTX 460 1GB.

bread's done
Back