Multimedia and Gaming PC?

shadyteam

CAG Veteran
can some1 tell me what is a good multimedia and gaming pc?i'm thinking of getting an HP because of the blu-ray hd dvd combo drive they have but i dont know...... please help me:roll:

[quote name='sky03']build ur own computer[/quote]
Indeed. If you want a gaming PC go with building it yourself. Sounds hard but really isn't to difficult and only becomes easier after you do it.

Well you could do like I did and get a Dell computer. Check out www.dell.com/outlet and choose one to your liking. Also, you can check around on the internet to get discount codes for refurbished desktops to make it even cheaper. I know what your thinking, "boo, a refurbished computer!" but hear me out. This is the second time I've went through dell outlet and was VERY pleased on both occasions. Dell's refurb computers are basically new computers and I highly recommend checking them out if you don't mind deleting extra crap off your HDD once you receive your computer (this time around, they had even less crap, very minimal to delete overal). I essentially wanted to just build my own computer and I do know how to (from swapping new hardware in and out of computers many times over the years) but I chose the dell route for a number of reasons.

This is what I was able to get and for how much. I got a Dell Inspiron 530, with a Intel Quad Core Q6600 processor, 3 gigs of RAM, 2 320 gig HDD's, 19 in one media card reader, 16x DVD/CD burner and Vista Home Premium. I chose this because it was a scratch and dent item (which drops the price even more) for $429. I was impatient and couldn't wait for a code, so with taxes and shipping it came to a total of $485. I then swapped out the power supply for a 500 watt PSU and added a 8800 GTS 320MB video card (PSU was $40 and video card I got at www.fxvideocards.com for $87 shipped...it was a weekend special). I then bought a PCI slot cooler from newegg for $10 shipped bringing the grand total to $621. I'm happy with my purchase and that's pretty cheap for a decent gaming rig IMO, yes there's better graphics cards out now but for $87? :] I'm not complaining. The main reason I chose the Dell route was because if you were to build your computer for a reasonable, well very reasonable $600, near the same horsepower as mine...u would still then need to by a OS (Windows), so add on a extra $100-120. Plus you get a few other extras that I didn't mention buying from Dell including other software/keyboard/mouse/other shit etc.

The main thing you need to remember if you buy a Dell is, you can't overclock do to the motherboard and you won't be able to do SLI. I wasn't planning on doing either so Dell worked out good for me. I'll be honest, if your willing to spend more then I was, then building a custom computer is still your best bet. Me being extremely cheap and impatient, I'm happy with my computer decision/purchase. Oh, by the way, the "scratch and dent" that Dell marked for my computer is a joke. It has a "tiny" TINY little scratch on top of the case which easily knocked the price down a good $100 if not more. Heh, I got more scratches on the case opening it up installing the PSU/graphics card/slot cooler then that little thing :] Anyways, good luck with getting a new computer.

HP is a fine brand if you have the money.

I bought a HP Pavilion Elite m9200t series
- HP Pavilion Elite m9200t PC with TV/PVR
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400 (3.0GHz)
- FREE UPGRADE to 3GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM from 2GB
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, TV-out, DVI-I, HDMI
- No Modem
- FREE UPGRADE! to 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
- LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video, audio
- ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
- Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
- Norton Internet Security(TM) 2008 - 15 Months
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
- HP keyboard and HP optical mouse

That was $819.99 (plus $49.20 tax with free shipping).
and than installed a LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive I bought from NewEgg. Worked just fine, it was just a pain in the ass to get the drive in due to the fact that HP's cases fucking suck.

bluhdcomputerla6.jpg

Just get one put in from HP, it's only $40 more than the one you can get from NewEgg.

[quote name='Sporadic']HP is a fine brand if you have the money.

I bought a HP Pavilion Elite m9200t series
That was $819.99 (plus $49.20 tax with free shipping).
and than installed a LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive I bought from NewEgg. Worked just fine, it was just a pain in the ass to get the drive in due to the fact that HP's cases fucking suck.

bluhdcomputerla6.jpg

Just get one put in from HP, it's only $40 more than the one you can get from NewEgg.[/quote]
HP has been known for not putting in the,well let's just say top of the line hardware. That is a very sweet set up for a nice price but I just hope you sprung for the two year coverage, brother works at CC he was of the little geek squad dudes and says HP and Emachines are the ones he see all the time, constantly something going wrong with them between the hardware, shitty software pre loaded on it, something seems to go wrong with them a little before or after the year mark. Just take from that what you want.

bread's done
Back