Multimeter purchasing advice for a complete electronics beginner.

Gourd

CAGiversary!
Greetings.

For some reason, Cheapassgamer seems to regularly come through on non gaming questions.

Anyway, I was hoping to learn a bit about electronics in general this spring by putting some basic kits together. Things like a Mintyboost kit.

So I'm in the market for a multimeter. I'm a complete beginner, and really just need something basic. Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

I don't want to spend more than 60 dollars on something that is just for futzing about. If I'm regularly doing this sort of task, I'll consider upgrading to a better unit.

Have any of you had a decent multimeter that you can suggest? Any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Anything from ExTech, BK Precision, Craftsmen, RadioShack, Tripplett, Equus, or MasTech should be fine. Those are generally found to be between 20 and 60 bucks.

Since you're just starting out, I would stick with digital and not analog meters. Other than that, you should be fine with a cheap model.

Thanks to both of you.

I think I'm going to grab an ExTech EX330. Has a nice large read out and looks like I'd have to severely abuse it to break it.

Cheers.

Only one word in multimeters for me.... Fluke. Of course I have to use one daily so it makes it worth it. You can sometimes find them for around that online and even in some pawn shops or second hand tool shops. I've never had any bad experience with the ExTech's but not raving about them either.

Getting back to this topic after work...

[quote name='SpeedyG']Only one word in multimeters for me.... Fluke.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I use Flukes at work. They're great. I have one at each workbench. I think I have an older model, but this looks like it does the same job: http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Digital-Multimeters/Fluke-77-IV.htm?PID=56126

You can get all kinds of probes from http://www.techni-tool.com so you can work with big stuff as well as tiny surface mount stuff.

For home use, that Radio Shack one up there has served me well ever since high school. I haven't found a reason to upgrade, although I probably should. If nothing else, it's a great beginner multimeter that does just about everything you want it to if you're just getting into electronics, and it's cheap.

bread's done
Back