Multiple Router Networking

virus86

CAG Veteran
Here is my current setup. Cable Modem -> Linksys BEFW11S4 (Wireless B Router) -> Long cable to my xbox 360 on the first floor.

I want to move my wireless router to my first floor, since the wireless is used only on the first floor. My group and I get only 3 bars when my wireless in on the 2nd floor. I still have 3 computer conntected on the 2nd floor on wired.

Im thinking about getting the Netgear WGR614NA (Wireless G Router) for $40 from BB.

Cable Modem------Wireless Router B------Wireless Router G (All wired together)

Is this possible? What settings need to be changed?

[quote name='virus86']Here is my current setup. Cable Modem -> Linksys BEFW11S4 (Wireless B Router) -> Long cable to my xbox 360 on the first floor.

I want to move my wireless router to my first floor, since the wireless is used only on the first floor. My group and I get only 3 bars when my wireless in on the 2nd floor. I still have 3 computer conntected on the 2nd floor on wired.

Im thinking about getting the Netgear WGR614NA (Wireless G Router) for $40 from BB.

Cable Modem------Wireless Router B------Wireless Router G (All wired together)

Is this possible? What settings need to be changed?[/quote]
I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can. You can get a switch and that will work. I don't know if they have wireless switches, cuz I've never seen one, but they may exist.

Yes it can be done, though it can be a bit/lot confusing.

I've never done it with stock firmware (only DD-WRT, I don't think either of those is compatible with DD-WRT though).

I have a similar setup though the relevant part of my setup is
Modem --(wired)-- wireless router ~~(wirelessly)~~ wireless router --(wired)-- vonage adaptor --(wired)-- computer without wifi card

I should note that I don't have DHCP turned on so I'm not sure how this would be different with it on.
What I did is left the router that is connected to the cable modem alone.
On the second router I changed it to router mode, set it's local IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnet to 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (the first wireless router), and local DNS to 192.168.1.1. Also, since mine are connected wirelessly, I had to turn on Client Bridge mode and clone the SSID and encryption key of the first router.

I think the most important things are to change the IP of the second router (out of the box most routers are assigned 192.168.1.1) and change it's operating mode from AP/Gateway to Router.

Got it to work...I hope!

I left my Linksys router alone and changed the Netgear router to:

Disable DHCP
Same Subnet Mask as Linksys
Same Local IP Adress +1 (xx.xx.x.1 -> xx.xx.x.2)
Open NAT Filtering
Disable NAT and WAN
Configure router password and wireless settings to my liking.

Tested the Xbox 360 (which is connected to the Netgear via wire) and it sees my media files on my PC (which is connected to the Linksys via wire). So far so good!

Theres a new thing in "My Network Places" called "Residential Gateway". When I double click it, it goes directly (after inputing user/pass) to the Netgear.

Thanks for your insight, guy!

I forgot. You have to connect the Linksys to the Netgear's regular port and not the WAN.

[quote name='mguiddy']Yes it can be done, though it can be a bit/lot confusing.

I've never done it with stock firmware (only DD-WRT, I don't think either of those is compatible with DD-WRT though).

I have a similar setup though the relevant part of my setup is
Modem --(wired)-- wireless router ~~(wirelessly)~~ wireless router --(wired)-- vonage adaptor --(wired)-- computer without wifi card

I should note that I don't have DHCP turned on so I'm not sure how this would be different with it on.
What I did is left the router that is connected to the cable modem alone.
On the second router I changed it to router mode, set it's local IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnet to 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (the first wireless router), and local DNS to 192.168.1.1. Also, since mine are connected wirelessly, I had to turn on Client Bridge mode and clone the SSID and encryption key of the first router.

I think the most important things are to change the IP of the second router (out of the box most routers are assigned 192.168.1.1) and change it's operating mode from AP/Gateway to Router.[/quote]
I'm glad there are people more informed than me, glad you could help him.

If I understand your situation correctly, you can save yourself some cash if you take back the router and purchase a simple switch (for wired connections on the second floor). The only gain is if you needed the additional speed the G provides over the B. If you were looking to provide better wireless on the second floor after moving the wireless router to the first floor, you'd be better off with an access point in bridge mode.

bread's done
Back