Mushy D-Pad on "new" Controllers?

chi.bri

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Anyone know if the new controllers (red, blue, black) released within the past year have the same mushy D-Pad the original controllers have?
I've hacked my OG controllers to improve the D-Pad, but think it's time for a new one. If you've ever played a games like GRAW 1 or 2 where using the D-Pad is essential to game play and not just an inventory selection control, you know what I'm talking about.

They're still the same. They won't get better until the new green ones get released and even then no other models are confirmed to have the new d-pad. I'm hoping they put it in that red controller.

I'd love for MS to come out with a controller that has a usable d-pad. I also think it would help them sell more XBLA games. There are a few out there that I haven't bought just because the lack of a functional d-pad makes them a chore to play.

Right now the new controller is only confirmed for the UK I believe. Color aside, I don't understand why the D-pad doesn't physically look different. Sure, the internals must be improved, but the whole thing needs a revamp.

Folks that want to marginalize the D-pad say that it's only used for weapon switching. Well, weapon switching is damn important! There have been many times where I've needed to swap weapons in a firefight and the controller's D-pad got bogged down in the proverbial mud and then I got killed.

After playing the DDR minigame in the Simpsons on my Falcon Elite I can assure you that the d-pad is still a piece of crap on newer black controllers.

[quote name='jkanownik']After playing the DDR minigame in the Simpsons on my Falcon Elite I can assure you that the d-pad is still a piece of crap on newer black controllers.[/QUOTE]

try using a white controller. For some reason the timing is off with the black controller

[quote name='NTolerance']Right now the new controller is only confirmed for the UK I believe. Color aside, I don't understand why the D-pad doesn't physically look different. Sure, the internals must be improved, but the whole thing needs a revamp.[/quote]

That's correct. UK only but there has been a huge outcry for the new pad so I believe MS (since they actually listen to their fans) will release it stateside eventually. The thing needs a redesign but as far as I know Nintendo has the 'cross' design patented so this is the best we'll see for now. If we piss and moan hard enough about it (yes, I've written physical letters) then MS will probably consider a change for the next system. It's too late to revamp its shape now.

[quote name='cochesecochese']That's correct. UK only but there has been a huge outcry for the new pad so I believe MS (since they actually listen to their fans) will release it stateside eventually. The thing needs a redesign but as far as I know Nintendo has the 'cross' design patented so this is the best we'll see for now. If we piss and moan hard enough about it (yes, I've written physical letters) then MS will probably consider a change for the next system. It's too late to revamp its shape now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "cross" design is superior, but things can be done to make the "disc" design work better. A a thinner disc with a tactile click for each position would be a huge improvement. Remember the D-pad on the GBA SP? That thing was a work of art and had a clicky motion that was very precise. I'd like to see those same mechanics applied to the 360 controller.

I think a thinner, less-concave disk would be a lot better. One issue I have with the present 360 d-pad is that everywhere is middle. There is only definition between the extremes (left, right, up, and down). It is difficult to feel when you've moved from left to left-down to down, for example.

bread's done
Back