music (of the metal variety) recommendations

oleander

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I recently heard The Quiet Place by In Flames...and it is amazing! But they don't really play that sort of music on any of the radio stations around here (as far as I know), so I can't think of a good way of finding more music like it.
So, does anyone have any suggestions of similar bands?
I will say that I don't like bands in which the singer never actually sings (that is, always screams), and I appreciate melodic-ness :D.

Do you want new (not nu) metal or just anything? If you like In Flames, definitely try Iron Maiden if you don't know them. IF is pretty good, although some fans think they are trying to go more mainstream. Finding new metal that is non death/black is tough, but it does exist. It's just too early in the morning for my brain to process information.

My favorites all time: Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Anthrax, Trouble, Savatage, Testament, Voivod.

Like the other guy said, Mastodon are very good, but you said no screaching vocals.......but it's good, so.....

Check around these pages to see bands that are similar to others, etc. and for reviews that you might not always agree with, but they are pretty good most of the time:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...B6AB679AFFA62A3500CDAC0EB55ECAD1B&sql=77:2952

[quote name='radjago']Seconded, provided Probot be named as well.[/QUOTE]

I'll see your Probot and raise you one Eagles of Death Metal

[quote name='evilmregg']I'll see your Probot and raise you one Eagles of Death Metal[/QUOTE]

YESSS YESSSSSSSSSSS 2 great bands.

Strapping Young Lad is pretty good and a band called Haste is coming up.

I like the new From Autumn To Ashes CD, Funeral For A Friend, Recover, Emery, and crap like that but it's probably Pop-Metal if any type of metal. There is some screaming but the music is super catchy and there is a lot of singing throughout.

If you like In Flames, try Soilwork. They are from Sweden just like In Flames and have a very similar sound except with a little more clean vocals. Their latest album is Stabbing the Drama, but also check out Figure Number Five, and A Predator's Portrait. Also, Clayman from In Flames is my favorite.

If you would like something a little heavier (death metal), check out Opeth. Also from Sweden , they are very heavy but have many song that are mello and with clean vocals. Hope this helps!

[quote name='DarkKnight'] Also, Clayman from In Flames is my favorite. [/QUOTE]

Clayman is also my favorite album by In Flames. Check out Children of Bodom, The Haunted, Soilwork is awesome, Dark Tranquillity (kinda heavy), Mnemic, Shadows Fall too.

Nice to see some metal fans!

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Dimmu Borgir[/QUOTE]

Death Cult Armageddon is one of my favorite cds of all time. I'm listening to Allegiance right now.

Opeth > life
If you're into new In Flames DEFINITELY check out the last 3 Soilwork albums. If you want melodic metal but with all screams/growls check out Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, Dimension Zero, The Black Dahlia Murder, and old In Flames. Shadows Fall would be a good choice for you too. And if you're feeling kinda crazy, try Cryptopsy ;-)

Getting even more obscure: Mercenary, Into Eternity, and Nightrage.

If you really like good singing, though, and don't mind a bit of cheese, go for the power metal side of things. Good thrashy power/prog would include Eldritch (last two), Brainstorm, Symphorce, Pharaoh, and Control Denied. You might also check out Angra, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, and Edguy, though at that point you're in full melodic power metal.

I also didn't care too much for the screaming/screaching bands until I started listening to more and more of them, so now it's grown on me. I guess you just start to pay less and less attention to the screaming, allowing you to appreciate how awesome the music itself is, and eventually start to love it.

I'm more into the hardcore/punk stuff than the black/death metal, so here are my recommendations for metal-influenced bands:

Unearth (amazing music, mostly screaming)
Killswitch Engage (amazing music, mixture of screaming and melody)
It Dies Today (great music, mixture of screaming and melody)
Darkest Hour (good music, all screaming)
God Forbid (great music, mostly screaming)
Lamb of God (great music, mostly screaming)
Avenged Sevenfold (great music, mixture of screaming and melody)

Honorable mentions that have heavy metal influences, but probably aren't considered metal:

Thrice, Atreyu, From Autumn to Ashes, and Funeral for a Friend

I'm going to have to second most of the bands recommended here. Personally I think Soilwork's best album is Natural Born Chaos but the other three mentioned are really good as well. I'll just list a few bands and albums I think are work checking out.

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing
Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric In Design (very similiar to Soilwork)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion
God Forbid - Gone Forever
Candiria - What Doesn't Kill You...
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor

Probably could make this list 20 pages long so I'll stop there for now. And as you can see by my avatar, In Flames rules.

wow...thanks for all of the replies...I didn't realize anyone had responded (for some reason it was not highlighted as new when using egotrip, and I didn't look to see how many replies there were - and yes, I realize that when I say "for some reason" I mean "because of something stupid I did"). I will look into as many of these as possible...fortunately I can get CDs from my library. :)
And I don't mind some screaming...it's just that I sometimes have trouble taking the music seriously because of it (and I don't really know why I'm ok with some and not others). I've listened through all of STYE now, and he screams quite a bit, but it seems like good screaming....or something. I don't know.

[quote name='oleander']wow...thanks for all of the replies...I didn't realize anyone had responded (for some reason it was not highlighted as new when using egotrip, and I didn't look to see how many replies there were - and yes, I realize that when I say "for some reason" I mean "because of something stupid I did"). I will look into as many of these as possible...fortunately I can get CDs from my library. :)
And I don't mind some screaming...it's just that I sometimes have trouble taking the music seriously because of it (and I don't really know why I'm ok with some and not others). I've listened through all of STYE now, and he screams quite a bit, but it seems like good screaming....or something. I don't know.[/QUOTE]

No problem. Us metalheads stick together.

If you don't mind old-school metal, try Manowar. I really like their Hail to England and Kings of Metal albums.

bread's done
Back