MVP Baseball 2005...any good?

mattatskul

CAGiversary!
I bought 2004 last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. Was wondering if anyone has bought the new version. Would especially like to hear from people that may have both and how it compares to last years version.

Loved 2004, played an entire 162 game season (first time I have ever done it with any baseball game) and it was great. I like 2005 even more because the "left handed" glitch is gone. Gameplay is almost exactly the same except for some new stuff (hitter's eye, managers can now come out and argue plays). There's also new minigames and owner's mode which lets you build a new stadium and customize it if you're into that stuff. Overall, I say it's worth the $30.

I think it's a great upgrade to last year. It's still in beautiful 720p, the stadiums seem a little nicer with some having real time scoreboards, and the improved player animations flow even better than last year. My favorite is the rolling throw made by third basemen when they cut off the grounders toward short.

They've also fixed the glitch where it was harder to hit homeruns with lefties and righties could hit 590ft homers. The arguing manager is a nice touch and adds an interesting twist. Sometimes I argue when I get the call just to have the manager ejected so that I don't have to worry about team management anymore.

Owner mode is a little tedious feeling, but not too overwhelming. The best advice for that is upgrade seats as soon as possible and don't really expect to make money until the playoffs.

I could touch on far more subtleties, but I'm really tired and I'm sure I've made about a 20 typos already. Hope this helps a little. If you are a baseball fan, I would highly recommend it. This is coming from a huge World Series/ESPN baseball, at least until last year when MVP won me over.

I own both games and can honestly say that MVP 2005 is worth the $30 upgrade. The gameplay improvements like infield throws while the fielder is running, and the "Hitter's Eye" (which actually plays a lot less gimicky than I thought it would) add quite a bit to the game. And it's nice not to have to try plunking every ball thrown to a leftie into shallow right field like I did with MVP 2004 due to the aforementioned lefty glitch.

I've become more and more disillusioned towards sports games over the years, but I haven't regretted ponying up the cash for MVP 2005 for a minute.

I have both 2004 and 2005 as well as ESPN MLB. MVP is by far a better experience single player. Animations seem even better and smoother this year and games are just fun to play. This coming from someone who isn't a big fan of baseball in the first place.

Was anyone more a fan of High Heat than either MVP or MLB? I thought it was a much more realistic game overall, for hardcore baseball fans. Sure, the graphics were a little rough, but the realism was top notch.

How does MVP compare to High Heat? Is it realistic from a simulation point of view? For example, do pitchers actually walk people?

I picked up MVP this year and I am enjoying it so far. I am not a baseball fan by any means, but the game keeps me entertained. I would easily say it's worth 30 bucks if you like baseball.

[quote name='sgs89']Was anyone more a fan of High Heat than either MVP or MLB? I thought it was a much more realistic game overall, for hardcore baseball fans. Sure, the graphics were a little rough, but the realism was top notch.

How does MVP compare to High Heat? Is it realistic from a simulation point of view? For example, do pitchers actually walk people?[/QUOTE]

I played High Heat like crazy for about 3 years. I think MVP's hitting system is a close, but slightly deeper imitation of High Heat's hitting system, while ESPN MLB is almsot exactly like High Heat's old hitting method.

The pitching is kind of like High Heat in that you can walk people based on your ability to time the pitching meter, but it doesn't feel as random. I always liked how in High Heat, pitchers seemed to have good and bad days as far as missing off the corner or leaving a pitch fat in the plate. In MVP, the speed of the meter will fluctuate as the pitcher's composure changes and that can lead to the pitcher giving up some big innings if you aren't careful.

Wow, some love for EA on this board. Never thought that would happen. Love this game, been one of the best baseball games that I have played since High Heat.

Yep, I picked up 2K5 first, and thought the game was decent...but there are WAY TOO many bugs in it. You cannot really enjoy the franchise mode at all.

I picked up MVP finally (after renting it) and I LOVE it. I'm currently in a Dynasty and the games are all pretty close (even on the default difficulty)...no bugs either.

I think ESPN has nice presentation, but MVP has better gameplay...IMO.

I don't really like the owner mode and building a stadium.....but I'm sure lots of others will

It's also fun to play the minor league teams....I sim most of them, but I'll play an inning or two to get a feel for me players (at least in AAA)

bread's done
Back