My 360 froze..should I worry?

josuff247

CAG Veteran
Got a 360 a month ago. Every thing went well for a month. I have it well ventalated. Last week i was playing King Kong for about 2 hours and it froze. I just rebooted the console, Played for another hour and all was fine. Played for a few days after that with no problem. Yesterday I was playing again for 2 hours and it froze again. Same game. Rebooted again and it was fine for another hour. The console did not seem hotter than normal, and I did not get any red lights. Is it possible this is disk specific? I have not played any other game, and I did buy this one used. Or should I be worried. Is this a sign of bad things to come?

My console creation date is 5-18-06.

It could just be the disc.. and several games do tend to freeze time to time on their own. If you experience frequent freezing when you play other games, it might definitely be your system though.

[quote name='josuff247']Got a 360 a month ago. Every thing went well for a month. I have it well ventalated. Last week i was playing King Kong for about 2 hours and it froze. I just rebooted the console, Played for another hour and all was fine. Played for a few days after that with no problem. Yesterday I was playing again for 2 hours and it froze again. Same game. Rebooted again and it was fine for another hour. The console did not seem hotter than normal, and I did not get any red lights. Is it possible this is disk specific? I have not played any other game, and I did buy this one used. Or should I be worried. Is this a sign of bad things to come?

My console creation date is 5-18-06.[/QUOTE]

I have been having this issue lately also but my Console is almost a year old and its been happeing with almost everygame. Well I might just have it looked at now becuse of the warranty extension..

You are fine....no RED lights is good. Clear the cache every once in a while, that seems to be the issue with me. I just hold the "A" button when I start a game. I usually eject and close the tray, that always seems to help for some reason.

If I boot Madden by just hitting PLAY GAME w/o ejecting, it seems like it locks up more....could just be my imagination though.

[quote name='doubledown']You are fine....no RED lights is good. Clear the cache every once in a while, that seems to be the issue with me. I just hold the "A" button when I start a game. I usually eject and close the tray, that always seems to help for some reason.

If I boot Madden by just hitting PLAY GAME w/o ejecting, it seems like it locks up more....could just be my imagination though.[/QUOTE]

How do you clear the cache (I know the the original Xbox, you'd have to play multiple games to clear it). Is there a way to do it without multiple games (only have 1 game right now (or is that what hodling the A button does)?

[quote name='friedram']You are doomed- your Xbox will explode.

Thank god for the extended warranty![/QUOTE]

Amen. Go tell it on the mountain!

Truthfully though, the fact that it freezing isn't good in my opinion. It could be a game disc or heat issue. Also, try using a laser lens cleaner on a routine basis. I know it's recommended to clean DVD / CD drives atleast once every 10 hours of use.....................

Oh, just a quick question, your not leaving the game disc inside the console after shutting it off are you?

I wouldn't worry about it. Now that the console warranty has been extended to a full year, you will be covered if / when it does really kick the bucket. You need to try it with other games before you get too worked up.

[quote name='retail sucks']Amen. Go tell it on the mountain!

Truthfully though, the fact that it freezing isn't good in my opinion. It could be a game disc or heat issue. Also, try using a laser lens cleaner on a routine basis. I know it's recommended to clean DVD / CD drives atleast once every 10 hours of use.....................

Oh, just a quick question, your not leaving the game disc inside the console after shutting it off are you?[/quote]

Funny you ask, but actually yes. I did only during the period that this happened. I typically do not. How would that be related though?

[quote name='josuff247']Funny you ask, but actually yes. I did only during the period that this happened. I typically do not. How would that be related though?[/QUOTE]

Read your manual, I'm sure it says not to do that, it did in the original Xbox manual, it can supposedly mess up your DVD drive, laser lens, &/or other components I'm guessing.

I always sign out, go to dash board, eject the game, close the tray with the controller, not pushing the actual button, then I hold the round X button down, a screen will pop up asking if you want to "shut down console". I give it plenty of time, not hurrying through the process.

[quote name='retail sucks']Also, try using a laser lens cleaner on a routine basis. I know it's recommended to clean DVD / CD drives atleast once every 10 hours of use[/QUOTE]

And actually this was mentioned on the same page of the original xbox page with the do not leave the disc in the console while is shut off.

I believe the info I stated is mentioned on page 12?

[quote name='lordxixor101']How do you clear the cache (I know the the original Xbox, you'd have to play multiple games to clear it). Is there a way to do it without multiple games (only have 1 game right now (or is that what hodling the A button does)?[/QUOTE]

Well, I just hold "A" while the game is loading up...that seems to work. There is a more official way to do this...just search here or Google though.

[quote name='josuff247']Got a 360 a month ago. Every thing went well for a month. I have it well ventalated. Last week i was playing King Kong for about 2 hours and it froze. I just rebooted the console, Played for another hour and all was fine. Played for a few days after that with no problem. Yesterday I was playing again for 2 hours and it froze again. Same game. Rebooted again and it was fine for another hour. The console did not seem hotter than normal, and I did not get any red lights. Is it possible this is disk specific? I have not played any other game, and I did buy this one used. Or should I be worried. Is this a sign of bad things to come?

My console creation date is 5-18-06.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe so.

My console has frozen about 9 times but besides that it's been trucking along since April.

Why do people freak out when one of their Xbox 360 game freeze?

I mean has a PS2 game frozen on you?

Has a GameCube game frozen on you?

It happens.

But when it happens on 360 people always think about the worst.

hell no mine has froze, graphic glitch, sound lag, no sound, the works. i thought it was gonna be dead by now. Running like a bull

I've had King Kong freeze on me before maybe once or twice. Don't worry, the game has some glitches.

Its definately not anything to worry about, happens to me on Saints Row every few hours. You should be fine as long as you dong get the evil red eyes staring back atcha'

[quote name='2pac']Why do people freak out when one of their Xbox 360 game freeze?

I mean has a PS2 game frozen on you?

Has a GameCube game frozen on you?

It happens.

But when it happens on 360 people always think about the worst.[/quote]

For many reasons.

A). THe amount of complaining about the consoles has been affecting the mindset of alot of users.

B). This costs alot more and is alot more of a hassle to replace.

(consistent)Game freezing is not normal. It never was and it never should be. In all of my time of playing games, none of my consoles have frozen (unless it was caused by my stupidness, such as pulling out the cartridge or accidentally striking it). THat and scratched games. If you game is not scratched and your console freezes, there could be a problem. Now if it's just stupid overheating then you're pretty covered. You can just wait a while and then play again. If your console keeps overheating then you should take action.

[quote name='2pac']I mean has a PS2 game frozen on you?
Has a GameCube game frozen on you?[/QUOTE]

The answers are no and no. The 360 is a fucking piece of shit with some really good games. I got my second replacement (that's third console, folks!) back from Microsoft a couple weeks ago, and last week I got the three red lights again. Complete and utter fucking bullshit.

Now, we're not sure if it's my premium system's HDD that's causing it or if it's the system but I'm willing to bet on the system. So very poorly manufactured.

mines started freezing playing madden online. i called 8004mybox and got it replaced with a refurbished unit. it was a launch console so i had had the 1 year warranty.

the refurb had a different DVD drive. its a hitachi not a samsung. a lot less noisier and no lockups anymore. your drive might be dying so i would send it in if i were you.

Do they need to write "WARNING MAY FREEZE, NOT WORK, AND MIGHT JUST BLOW UP WHEN YOU TURN IT ON" before you guys will shut up and buy it, or dont, they give you a warranty, and an opportunity to buy an extended one. deal with it

bread's done
Back