My 360 won't auto sign-in to Live - UPDATED WITH CAUSE, WORKING ON SOLUTION

youbastards

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My 360 recently started having this problem:

When I power it on, my profile will load, but my system won't auto sign-in to XBox Live.
If I manually tell it to sign-in, it connects right away.

I am using the 360 wireless adapter and my wireless network is showing as an excellent connection, it just refuses to auto sign-in.

I waited on hold for 25 minutes with MS support and eventually got thru but was hung up on by "Frank" and didn't bother calling back.

While holding, I was trying everything I could to troubleshoot this, and I found that the problem ONLY happens when I have a game in the drive.

If I boot the system without a game, it loads both my profile and connects to Live right away....I only started having this problem recently, anyone else have this or hear of it?

[quote name='masked lemon']You sure you have auto sign in on?

Is IP adress correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Auto sign in is on, and it works if the drive is empty.

I haven't changed any IP settings, it is set to automatically detect settings, and if i initiate the XBox Live connection, it goes right through.

I even cleared the cache using the input code, thinking that might have something to do with it.

I've thought about running the "restore default settings" option, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet.

Were you having problems just today or previously as well? MS put out a note that they were having problems with XBL earlier today, but they claim it is fixed now.

[quote name='youbastards']Yes, Auto sign in is on, and it works if the drive is empty.[/quote]

Are you referring to the dvd drive? If so, maybe there is a particular game that the drive is having a problem reading, and is causing it to delay connecting to XBL. Software can be finicky like that sometimes (figured it's worth a look-see since you said it works fine if the drive is empty).

I get this anytime there is a disk in the drive. It has been happening basically forever. Take out your game and I bet it is fixed.

This didn't just start today, i'd have to guess, but I would say the problem has been around for about a month. When was the last system update?

It happens regardless of the game in the drive.

It does connect without a disc in the drive, but I wouldn't call that a fix, more of a work-around.

I guess I'm going to try calling MS again tonight.
I've been living with this problem for a month, and it is just an annoyance, but it's starting to become more annoying because I can't figure out why it started all of a sudden.

I have a feeling it has to do with your internet connection. Like earlier when Live was down my GT wouldn't load automatically as well. There's something preventing your 360 from loading up completely. How long did you try waiting? Maybe double check your network settings, set to automatic and then try manual settings.

I've had the same problem for awhile now too. It connects if I tell it to but not until then. It will also sign me in if I start to play a game. If I just let it just sit there after powering up it will never sign me in. I've played with the settings but could not get it to work. Even erased my profile and recovered it but that did not fix it either. It's in for "repairs" right now because of the 3 rings. Let us know if you figure out a fix, I would be interested in what you come up with.

I had this problem for a while, but I just recently sold my MS wireless adapter and hooked back up to an ethernet wire and it signs me in automatically again.

Ok, here is an update to my problem.

This is definitely NOT a network/connection related issue, and here's how I know:

I did the "Restore Factory Settings" from the Networking section, and reconnected to my wireless network.
The problem remained after rebooting.

With a game disc in the drive, I then copied my gamer profile from the HDD to the memory card I have to backup my game saves. I wanted to see if it behaved differently loading the profile from the memory card instead of the HDD.
The problem remained after rebooting.

I figured that since my profile was already on the memory card, I would unhook the HDD and test it without the HDD attached. I removed the HDD, powered down, powered back up, and my Profile logged in and it auto signed-in to Live!!!

So I reattached the HDD, powered off, and tried it again.
The problem came back.

Somehow, the problem is due to a conflict with the combination of the HDD being attached while a game disc is in the drive.

If I remove the HDD (but keep the disc in the drive) it boots and loads my profile and auto signs into Live.

OR

If I attach the HDD (but remove the game disc from the drive) it boots and loads my profile and auto signs into Live.

I finally got through to 800-4MY-XBOX and spoke to a helpful support rep named Erika and was able to open a ticket for this issue.

After explaining the problem to Erika, she mentioned that this is the exact same problem that her console is having, but she never thought much about it and hasn't heard of it being a widespread problem that customers are reporting.

Anyway, she setup an appointment for me to get a callback tomorrow morning from the technician she was escalating this issue to.

I'll update tomorrow with more info, but I believe we're on the right path to a resolution.

If we can get this issue resolved, I'll post the ticket number here so others with the same problem can reference it when they call into support.

I have this problem as well. About 50% of the time I have to manually log in because the system does not do it on startup. The problem seemed to have started when I switched from a wired connection to using the wireless dongle.

[quote name='ZForce915']I get this anytime there is a disk in the drive. It has been happening basically forever. Take out your game and I bet it is fixed.[/quote]

It's the same way for me. It doesn't sign me into Live until I start the game.

[quote name='youbastards']After explaining the problem to Erika, she mentioned that this is the exact same problem that her console is having, but she never thought much about it and hasn't heard of it being a widespread problem that customers are reporting.[/QUOTE]

10 bucks says she's LYING and doesn't even own a 360.

Anyway, I think my old cable modem was fried because my 360 used to take a strangely long time to sign in to Live, and as it did, the system froze up. It didn't lock up. It just wouldn't let me do anything until I signed on. After I got a new modem earlier this month, I sign on faster than I ever used to.

That being said, I doubt your problem is modem related. But there is no knowledge that isn't power.

bread's done
Back