My 5400RPM drive causing gameplay stutters?

HyeVltg3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
116 (100%)
before we get into it, note I cannot replace the drive right now but just here to find some info on 5400 and 7200 rpm drives.

So far this is the only game I've noticed these...rapid and random stutters...unless I'm just that blind playing other games.

Most of my gaming is Disc based, but recently got some real good games off PSN and have been playing them off HDD.

I pulled out my drive and to find exact specs, its a Samsung 500GB 5400rpm 8M drive, I upgraded from my Slim's 320GB to this one on Day 1.

As stated before I usually game with Disc so I have no clue.

Have people noticed game issues playing the various RPM drives?

I was thinking SSD, but serious...why buy a ~$350 512GB SSD when you can buy a ~$100 1TB drive.

Only tidbit/rumor I know about is, slower RPM drives have slower downloads from PSN. But I believe this is due to the smaller buffer sizes?

The old theory (which I think has been debunked) was that the faster 7200 RPM drives actually caused problems in the PS3 - everything from excess heat leading to YLOD to games stuttering from not being programmed to utilize a faster drive.

Everything I have read seems to show that a 7200 RPM drive provides some benefit in install time the most, and a slightly better load time depending on the game.

A SSD provides almost no extra benefit over a 7200 in load times except for a few select games, like Gran Turismo 5 (which has terrible load times).

I believe even a crappy 5400RPM SATA HD is at least twice as fast at reading data than the PS3's BD drive (which is a 2x drive). It's unlikely that your HD is at fault here.

I have heard in some games, the install cache (where the game installs to the HD in the background as you're playing) becomes cluttered which can impact game performance. In that case, you'd delete the install cache and that would fix everything. I think Fallout 3 was the one game where that issue was common, I'm not sure of any others. I also don't know if that's an issue in games that have normal installs (where the game needs to install before you can play it).

Thank you very much guys and great timing, just grabbed me a Lot of 2 1TB 2.5 WD Drives off eBay for ~130
both are WD Scorpio Blues 5400.

bread's done
Back