My apartment was robbed. Game collection stolen.

Sorry to hear all this. My collection doesn't begin to approach yours, but it's long been a fear of mine that someone would bust in and clear me out. Things have only gotten worse since my neighbor across the hall was burglarized. I've always tried to keep a low profile around here; trying not to "advertise" what's in my apartment, always hoping that my place won't be chosen randomly by some ne'er-do-well.

This reminds me that I need to get a polaroid camera and start snapping pictures periodically.

"My friend got robbed a few years ago and got paid more than the stuff was worth, mostly because he got used games and they paid them out as new, I had the scan of the payout"

The same thing happend to me, i rent from my sister and her homeowners insurance covered EVERYTHIng only the prices they used were for NEW games. As a CAGer do you really think I paid full price for ANy of the games?? Nope.

I profited about 1,000 bucks, but that money is now on my fiance's ring finger. If you have insurance the same thing might happen to you OP.

This is a really long shot, but maybe you can keep an eye on craigslist offering to sell a bunch of games. If you had a lot of hard to find stuff, there shouldn't be too many listings.

Even longer shot - watch Ebay for some of your hard to find games that people most likely won't keep if they don't know the worth. If a seller is putting up all your games, from LA, I don't know, maybe it's still something.

Sorry for your loss.

Just a suggestion to anyone reading this. As someone pointed out pictures are important when dealing with insurance companies. I won't go into a long story on why, but here is what I do.

About once a year when the insurance policy renews I take out a video camera and walk my entire house documenting my family's belongings. Basically I videotape everything stop and spend time on important items. I store the videotape along with files (on DVD's/CD's) in a safe deposit box (along with a few other important items). The hard drive is a copy of important docs, receipts, family photos, and past clients sourcecode. In all it takes a afternoon, but its worth it.

FYI alot of banks will give you a free safe deposit box depending on your account type. Wachovia is who I have...

Sorry about your stuff dude.

I'm glad I have 2 friends who are on the police force here. Would definitely come in handy if I needed to look into something.

I remember getting robbed, and It's the worst feeling ever. My N64 and Dreamcast were stolen, along with a VCR and my mom's vintage casset collection of R & B. We got everything back but the collection. I hope the gy gets raped in jail. No man deserve to be robbed unless he's robbed countless others without giving a shit.

So the police don't want to do anything? Take it to news . Tell them how much the police department cares about the people. Tell them about how your collection is gone now and they're not even trying to do anything. I'm going to tell you right now, either most of that was pawned or was sold on streets, or maybe they even kept it. Not really traceable. What you can hope for is some sort of compensation. I really hope everything works out right.

sucks.

i remember like maybe 4-5 years ago in hs.... they broke into my place and took my dreamcast.. i was devastated at first because it was all i had and i didnt have too much money back then...plus they took valuables from mom's room..

i hate low life thiefs...

honestly if someone where to do that again now.. they would really wipe me out..

[quote name='kjauburn']Just a suggestion to anyone reading this. As someone pointed out pictures are important when dealing with insurance companies. I won't go into a long story on why, but here is what I do.

About once a year when the insurance policy renews I take out a video camera and walk my entire house documenting my family's belongings. Basically I videotape everything stop and spend time on important items. I store the videotape along with files (on DVD's/CD's) in a safe deposit box (along with a few other important items). The hard drive is a copy of important docs, receipts, family photos, and past clients sourcecode. In all it takes a afternoon, but its worth it.

FYI alot of banks will give you a free safe deposit box depending on your account type. Wachovia is who I have...[/quote]

I do this exact same thing. About every 3 months I update the photos.

Thanks for all the replies. It was surprisingly sympathetic considering how many bitter people are on this forum, so it is greatly appreciated that there are also many here who have some form of compassion.

My apartment is in Colton which is actually in San Bernadino County on the outskirts of Los Angeles County, so I guess it won't be LAPD.

If anyone in any part of LA, San Bernadino, Orange, or Riverside comes across a lot of nearly perfect 360, DS, and PS2 games at any pawn shops or gamestores, let me know. Most CAGs know how rare it is to find ANY used game near mint at a GameStop. I was at GameCrazy last night and they can actually trace the last month of trade-ins. If anyone sees a used Elite anywhere, I can track the serial number.

I interviewed a lot of residents and am trying to gather witnesses and evidence. I keep calling the police office and they say the city is overrun with crime and they don't have enough officers to keep up with it.

I don't have pictures of everything, but a lot of receipts that total over what my insurance is supposed to cover, so I am trying to get that amount from them. A few people here mentioned experiences with insurance, so thanks for any tips. Anyone know of what the forms are like and what kind of proof they accept? My forms should be here within 2 days.

If you think you know who did it and they live close by.. I'd do some snooping around.

Also.

My friend got both his PS3's (we camped out to get them, then he bought mine from me thinking he could resell it for bank) from a pizzaman. Apparently he actually contacted the pizzaman through a friend of his and now they are "Working something out". ;)

Also.

If you REALLY have a good suspicion that it's these guys you suspect... I would just make some shit up to get a search warrant. Say you constantly see people going and out of their apartment and one day you saw someone walk out with a big bag of stuff that looked like it could have been a gaming console... or something.

[quote name='kjauburn']Just a suggestion to anyone reading this. As someone pointed out pictures are important when dealing with insurance companies. I won't go into a long story on why, but here is what I do.

FYI alot of banks will give you a free safe deposit box depending on your account type. Wachovia is who I have...[/quote] Now I need to do this. You could also upload the photos/reciept scans onto a g-mail account and be able to access the documents and print from any computer (work, family's house). Even if all the contents of my home were stolen or the house blows up, the photos are kept safe on google's servers.

Yes, pictures are absolutely VITAL to insurance. That's why it may seem silly to have a 'Collections Thread,' but it gives me another excuse to keep my pictures current and have everything documented. In fact, I'm going to do another set today before the 360 coffin comes.

Sorry to hear about it man. That would suck hard.

I know that I'm trying to downsize my collection and haven't actually moved anything out of it as of yet so why don't you put a list of what you're looking for up here. I know that it wouldn't be anytime soon but I'm sure that many other CAGs would be willing to part with a game or two.

Good luck :)

I really hate hearing this. I hate hate paying for insurance the idea is just ridiculous to me. I collect toys, comics, movies, and games. I always say God forbid something happen to my collection, I am done. I'm out! I just have house insurance, but there are people that sell additional insurance for collector items. I'm really sorry about your collection man, hopefully karma will get the cocksmokers that did this!

Sorry to hear about your loss. If it's any consolation I'm sure some people reading (me included) this thread are now taking extra measures to sure up thier documentation of thier collections. I hope you are able to get your stuff back or at least the monatery equivalent!

Sorry to hear what happened and hope you get all your stuff back. It's times like these when I realize how stupid people are. Oh and you just got me to take pictures of some of my stuff :)

What about pics with a digital camera? Earlier I had mentioned using a polaroid. Digital images can easily be 'shopped, and I've always assumed insurance companies would disqualify them on those grounds.

[quote name='evilomar']I really hate hearing this. I hate hate paying for insurance the idea is just ridiculous to me. I collect toys, comics, movies, and games. I always say God forbid something happen to my collection, I am done. I'm out! I just have house insurance, but there are people that sell additional insurance for collector items. I'm really sorry about your collection man, hopefully karma will get the cocksmokers that did this![/QUOTE]

Well, the worst part of insurance is that, when something bad happens, they aren't always there for you. It was the one thing with State Farm insurance. I don't know if they are any good, but my uncle had them for 15 years, made 1 claim, had a check within an hour. Did a quick check, gave him what he needed.

This is a fear of mine, since i'm unfortunately known in pat of the neighborhood as "that guy with lots of old video games". Haven't had an issue yet, but you never know.

For better or worse, many of my games don't have huge commercial value right now. So, 400+ games, but mght only be a couple grand in value at the moment.

Though, I really do need to go through the house and get pics of everything.

[quote name='GunstarRed'] 11:00pm. They forced the window open.

Somebody did try to break into my Florida home before, but I was home so they ran off. It's dangerous to have such a large collection of anything and not be paranoid about people stealing it someday.[/quote]

Most people here have bars on their windows in my city in FL so they wouldn't be able to break in through the window. However, they'll just find another way to break in. My friend got his door knocked down and another one got their door pryed open with a crow bar.

I got 2 nes' systems and 1 controller and a genesis 3 with about 10 games if you want them all you gotta do is pay shipping. It's not much but at least it's something. OP only Ya Cheap Bastards :)

[quote name='veedubkid']I got 2 nes' systems and 1 controller and a genesis 3 with about 10 games if you want them all you gotta do is pay shipping. It's not much but at least it's something. OP only Ya Cheap Bastards :)[/quote]

nice offer ;)

hopefully all turns out well with ya op - you get the money of the games returned, but the thing is you'll have to pay a $500 deductible (same thing happened with my friend years ago)

[quote name='GunstarRed'][/QUOTE]

I used to live in Berdoo, and there was this place off Orange-Show that used to deal in used games. All the junkies would come in there selling their stuff. It was close to Sundowners in San Bernardino.

Also check the Colton Auction on a whim.

oh, I forgot, I lived in Colton during the early 90's: Casa del Rio Apts, and worked at the GCC Movie Theater that was near the RV park.

Has it really turned all ghetto?

[quote name='Allnatural']What about pics with a digital camera? Earlier I had mentioned using a polaroid. Digital images can easily be 'shopped, and I've always assumed insurance companies would disqualify them on those grounds.[/quote]

I'd also like to know about this. I don't have anything but a digital camera.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I used to live in Berdoo, and there was this place off Orange-Show that used to deal in used games. All the junkies would come in there selling their stuff. It was close to Sundowners in San Bernardino.

Also check the Colton Auction on a whim.

oh, I forgot, I lived in Colton during the early 90's: Casa del Rio Apts, and worked at the GCC Movie Theater that was near the RV park.

Has it really turned all ghetto?[/quote]

Uber ghetto. San Bernadino/Colton/Pomona etc., all the inland areas are where the gangbangers, cholos, and ghetto thugs started moving to the last few years as they were pushed out of the LA areas due to gentrification and the ever increasing property values/rent.

OP, I HIGHLY do NOT recommend simply 'snooping around', confronting these scumbags, etc. Many are gangbangers and will have no problems with beating or even murdering you, tragically.

What I would recommend is, figure out which apartment(s) they are in next door, find the nearest pay phone, and report them for drug dealing or a domestic disturbance/fighting/whatever.

Do NOT leave your name, tell them that your grandparents or an old relative lives near them and is fearful for their lives and asked you to call on their behalf. Hopefully when the po-pos show up, they will have probably cause from the call or will get it from these scumbags' behavior on the scene and be able to search the apartment(s).

I'm in west LA so I doubt I will be seeing your stolen stuff, but I will still keep an eye out. Keep checking craigslist as well, because a lot of stolen stuff gets fenced on it.

[quote name='Brak']People are fucking disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better than that. OP, I truly hope you find this / these assholes and make them pay.

If you have any free time, maybe follow them around and you might get lucky tailing them to a pawnshop with your stuff. I would hope that would be enough evidence for the cops to get involved.

Break into wherever you think they are and steal them back. :)

Ahh, to be underage again, so you wouldn't get into so much trouble ...

Anyways, sorry about your stuff. I hope you get it back. I understand the irreplaceable part because I have many classics in my set.

Any chance surrounding housing complexes/businesses have security cameras that may focus on the area?

Really sorry to hear about your loss, OP.

[/QUOTE]

You could always take pics after the fact if you needed to, if you had friends that owned the same items.

[quote name='karkyco']OP, I HIGHLY do NOT recommend simply 'snooping around', confronting these scumbags, etc. Many are gangbangers and will have no problems with beating or even murdering you, tragically.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think he wouldn't see this as a great excuse to do same to them?

Very sorry to hear OP. Like veedubkid said, I have a PS1, a Genesis, and some other classic gaming items that I'd be happy to give to you to help build back up your collection.

I hope all goes well, and keep us updated.

Somebody's been prowling around my neighborhood lately. He knocked on our door claiming his car was out of gas and wanted to mow the grass for money...about an hour after my dad already mowed it. The odd thing was when he knocked on the door he purposefully stood out of view of two windows. So you'd have to come outside and look around, as if he's trying to find an ideal place to rush you from and push right inside.

The guy was definitely casing houses. Because he wasn't going door to door. After my mom turned him down he went way down the road to a another house and did the same blind spot tactic. Who offers to cut grass for lawn money? Especially when your car "is running out of gas" within walking distance of a gas station? The guy was so obviously trying to mark houses to rob. My mom called the police and they didn't seem to give a shit...as if they're too busy taking care of imaginary gang wars and bank robbery hostage situtations.

The other day the guy was on the news for doing the same thing in another part of town. He asked some people if he could do lawn work for them and they said "Wait here a second, guy." and sicked their dog on him but he ran off.

damn that sucks OP. my friend had the same thing happen to him like 10 years ago. and you know what it was he's friend that did the crime:hot:
i wanted to kick he's ass so bad. it will be alright my buddys got his collections going again but still its not the same

Assholes.

I remember comming home from school one day and my parents rushed up to me as I walked through the front door and said, "they broke into the house through our bedroom window and they didn't steal anything until they got to your room..."

I ran to my room and the ps2 and half of my game collection was gone. I didn't have as big of a collection as yours but they did take a lot of my games. I know how it feels to invest in a collection of games and have it all go down the drain. I was afraid to start all over by taking a risk that It might happen again. But if there's anything I'm retarded about, its video games.

I feel ya.

Most unfortunate, this reminds me of the time Casey posted about having some of his games jacked by his sister's friends. This is obviously much worse though, considering the volume of games. I used to wonder when I had parties if my game or dvd collection would be in trouble, but I generally just kept my door locked to keep people out.

Back in the day, my house got broken into, took my Saturn, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Puzzle Fighter, PS1, FF7, FFT and a bunch of other nice games.

The insurance didn't pay out for the worth of the stuff, so I was only able to rebuy a PS1 and one game.

:cry:

It sucked, so I feel ya on this.

when i was in 8th grade, someone stole my gameboy color with my pokemon blue and all my pokemon cards that i had hidden inside of my desk, teacher said he saw nothing, but my desk was completely ransacked and wide open (we switched classrooms every 2 periods)
it hurts bad :whistle2:\ im so sorry you had to go through it OP, i hope you can do something to fight back!

I feel for you man. I hope those thugs get what they deserve and more.

Also, another CAG asked about your relation to your GF, which might be an important thing to look at.

[quote name='zewone']Back in the day, my house got broken into, took my Saturn, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Puzzle Fighter, PS1, FF7, FFT and a bunch of other nice games.

The insurance didn't pay out for the worth of the stuff, so I was only able to rebuy a PS1 and one game.

:cry:

It sucked, so I feel ya on this.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya man, I forget to mention, that when PS1 was hot shit, my house was broken into, and my FF7, original FFT (when it was worth good money), and about 38 other games were stolen (alot of them newer stuff to, because it was right after my birthday and christmas). My system was also jacked as well as like 3 controllers. It sucked bad, and I remember the cops were the biggest dicks. They came in and after searching my mom's room and my own, they wanted to search the rest of the house even though it wasn't really touched. The only thing they said to us was that they saw graffiti in my oldest brothers room "that they had seen tagged elsewhere" which was bullshirt because my brother only used paint markers and only did shit in his room. That's about as much help as they were.

Thanks again for all the responses to this thread. I really didn't expect this much turn out. It is greatly appreciated and is a small coping mechanism as right now I am in the furious stage of this whole ordeal.

I'm not going to discuss the actual robbery or case anymore on the thread for a number of reasons, so I'm going to remain silent until the insurance and investigation is complete.

I also very much appreciate those who have offered me free things to help replace my collection. That's more generous than I could have imagined and I do thank you. I'm still working out where I'll be living, so I need time to adjust and work through this mess right now.

I think I'll just replace my favorites from what was taken. It's too massive to fully replace, but there are many games I already miss. Perhaps I'll make a list of what I really want to get back and hope other CAGs can possibly find them on clearance or work out trades for what I do have left.

I've been in the relationship with my girlfriend for many years now. It's almost like we're married. Things like this do make you violently angry, but they also make you realize what's important in life, and as much as I love gaming and was proud of my collection, my girlfriend comes first and she's helping me get through this.

Thanks again to everyone here.

bread's done
Back