My Best Score (at a Gamestop, no less)

nakedsushi

CAGiversary!
Backstory:
I saw on their store locator that a gamestop 8 miles from work had a copy of Rez. This morning (yes, I was dumb) I called in and asked if they had it in store, since I didn't want to drive all the way there and waste a lunch break. The lady put me on hold for a while, then said they probably just sold the last one yesterday. I thought she sounded kind of shady. I called another Gamestop within a 20 mile radius that said they had it and the guy on the phone practically laughed at me.

Not wanting to give up, I went to the Gamestop 8 miles away on my lunch break, looked everywhere for Rez, didn't have it, but I did find a Valkyrie Profile in mint condition with case and manual for $49.99 so I picked that up. At the counter, I asked the guy if they had Rez. He was about to say he didn't, but another guy working there came in, overheard me and said, "Yeah, I just traded that in this morning." Then, he rummaged through a drawer and found it, but I guess another employee (probably the one who told me it wasn't here) was trying to reserve it because it had a post it with a name on it. The employee who brought it in said, "Didn't you call this in?" I don't remember speaking to a guy on the phone, but said yes anyway. He asked for the first letter of my name and I definitely didn't give it over the phone, so no way I could have reserved it. Luckily, my name and whoever reserved it had a name that started with L, so I ended up getting it anyway.

So, I walked out with a mint and complete Rez ($39) and Valkyrie ($49) profile. I couldn't believe my luck. I thought I was going to get run over my a truck to balance it out.

Prices are before the 10% gamestop card, which I did use. The store also had a preowned Zone of Enders (ps2) for $7.99 but I didn't know if it was good, so I left it there if anyone wants to pick it up.

That was a really nasty thing to do. It was probably another kid who called in and had them hold it, and you ripped him off. If you called in and put something on hold and it was gone when you got there how would you feel? You just inflicted that on somebody. Creep.

[quote name='Graff^']That was a really nasty thing to do. It was probably another kid who called in and had them hold it, and you ripped him off. If you called in and put something on hold and it was gone when you got there how would you feel? You just inflicted that on somebody. Creep.[/QUOTE]

How could the kid have called in for it before me? I called as soon as I got in this morning, they said they didn't have it, but the lady who took my call (who was still working there when I got there) later said she probably couldn't find it b/c it was in the drawer. I went to the GS 4 hours later to look for the game. The employee behind the counter said whoever called in to hold it called in recently, as in right before I got there.

How would someone else get them to hold it, and not you? Maybe a different employee took the call and found it hidden in the drawer?

Whether they called before you or not, you did steal their hold from them. Not sure if I wouldn't have done the same thing, but you have to see that it was a shitty thing to pull on the other guy. Especially when you are flat out lying to the GS worker to pull it off.

Now the GS guy may have been just making up shit (it's odd that he didn't ask you for your full/first name - unless they do holds with just the first letter for some weird reason), but assuming he's not... The other guy will come in for his game only to have this GS worker tell him he already sold it to somebody who phoned in and put it on hold. "But I was the guy that called up and put it on hold ROAR!!!" Not a good scene.

It's also weird that they are telling you about the call to put the game on hold? Since you are claiming to be that caller you would know when the call was made, right? All around strange.

Well at first, I thought they were talking about the call I made in the morning. One of the employees in the store told me someone called in the morning looking for it and they couldn't find it, so I thought they meant me, so I said, "Yeah, that's me." Then, the other employee said someone ELSE called before I came in asking for it and they couldn't find it.

So apparently, I called looking for it. Someone else called looking for it. And it's on hold for neither of us, but it did have a post-it note on it, and it wasn't from either of our calls. I still think one of the employees was trying to hide it b/c the employee who said he brought it in, said he did it when he came in this morning.

It wasn't flat out lying, since I did call in for it, and my name DOES begin with an L.

Now that I think of it, this whole thing seems weird. The guy who rang me up (not the employee who brought the game in) said someone came in before me looking for BOTH Rez and Valkyrie profile, but couldn't find them. I don't know why they couldn't find Valkyrie profile though. It was sitting on top of the used Ps2 case and it was the only 2-cd case on that particular shelf.

C'mon we're all jealous that he found a great combo at GS, Stop hating on the man with all the ethics bullshyt & let him enjoy his games, I'm positive in the same scenario many if not all of you would pounce on it :bouncy: , don't even try to tell me otherwise...:)

I think that's awesome how your name started with the same letter and you got it. That's pretty crazy luck, and good job playing it cool by saying that they reserved it for you. I don't think you did anything wrong at all, if they other person who called wanted it so bad, they should have came in and got it. Most places won't leave something on hold for more than an hour tops.

One thing that's been bothering me. Does GameStop have a policy about holding games? The one by my house has employees who say they can hold a game for me the day I call in, but after that day, it goes back on the shelf. The 2nd GS I called today, with the guy who practically laughed at me when I asked them to hold Rez, said they don't hold games. Is it YMMV when it comes to GS, or was that guy just being a jerk because I was a girl and he thought he could get away with it?

bread's done
Back