My bird is dying...

Tiffanne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
My parakeet is fluffed up with his eyes closed and is breathing shallow in the bottom of his cage. He won't move at all. There has been a lot of illness going around in my family and I think he caught our cold. :cry:

UPDATE

He died. Thank you everyone for your condolences.

I live in a small town and there aren't any 24 hour vets. I am trying to keep him warm and comfortable. If he isn't gone by the morning I'm going to take him to the vet.

[quote name='Tiffanne']No he isn't by my kitchen. I just checked on my bird and he died. Going to bury him now.[/quote]

:cry:

Tragic

[quote name='JimmieMac']Sell it to a blind kid, tell him he's sleeping.[/QUOTE]
Nice.

For what it's worth OP, now you can get a better pet.

(

[quote name='whoknows']My best pet ever was a bird (a duck).

And sorry to hear about that OP[/QUOTE]
A duck? That must have been hilarious.

The last bird I had was a conure, and he was loud as fuck. Drove me insane. I was glad to see him go.

[quote name='Liquid 2']A duck? That must have been hilarious.

The last bird I had was a conure, and he was loud as fuck. Drove me insane. I was glad to see him go.[/QUOTE]
She was a lot of fun, but one morning just died for an unknown reason...almost exactly a year ago now that I think about it :cry:

Pic if you're curious
supergoodpj0.jpg

I guess a loud and annoying pet (bird or not) would be enough to make you go insane :p

Don't want to steal the OP's thread so I'll stop talking about my duck now :lol:

Just came across this topic. Growing up, I saw all three of our parakeets pass away at different points. Each loss was not easy.

You have my best wishes.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet :cry:. My parents never let me have a pet as a child because they were afraid of how i'd react when it passed away. Growing older, I just didn't think I'd have the time and energy to balance working, going to school, and an animal at the same time, but I can still empathize with the loss as I know the feeling of losing family members.

[quote name='whoknows']Don't want to steal the OP's thread so I'll stop talking about my duck now :lol:[/QUOTE]
Man that is hilarious. A duck for a pet must have been some experience.

Sorry bout the parakeet OP.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i have read somewhere that a chemical in ovens can kill birds, is your bird near a kitchen?[/quote] thought it was something about pot and pans when you cook. think it might be teflon coated ones. my aunt had three of her birds die when someone was watching them and was cooking some food. not sure though if it was the oven or pans. sorry about your loss op.

[quote name='whoknows']My best pet ever was a bird (a duck).

And sorry to hear about that OP[/QUOTE]

when I was little I had two chicks, had them for awhile. They got to be a handful when they were full size hens, so we gave them to a family member who lived in the boonies, i was told they were eaten by a fox, but part of me always wonders if they had a chicken dinner

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']when I was little I had two chicks, had them for awhile. They got to be a handful when they were full size hens, so we gave them to a family member who lived in the boonies, i was told they were eaten by a fox, but part of me always wonders if they had a chicken dinner[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Chicken is tasty

I had a chick before my duck. Mine really was attacked by a fox though. Was sad since we took her on trips with us (all the way to Niagara Falls). I always had a hard time telling if the chicken was the stupidest thing on earth or actually knew what she was doing :lol:

[quote name='JimmieMac']Sell it to a blind kid, tell him he's sleeping.[/quote]

That would be dumb... just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber.

Sorry for your loss OP. I have been there, I had a 2 budgies (Where I get my username from) and they died probably 3 year ago now and I remember being very sad.

Also I have had ducks before, they are pretty fun.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']That would be dumb... just when I thought you couldn't get anyd dumber.[/quote]

Fixed. Sorry for your loss OP.

[quote name='lockey']thought it was something about pot and pans when you cook. think it might be teflon coated ones. my aunt had three of her birds die when someone was watching them and was cooking some food. not sure though if it was the oven or pans. sorry about your loss op.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's the Teflon coating on non-stick cookware. When it overheats it can vaporize and it wreaks havoc with a bird's respiratory system. Make sure to keep them out of the kitchen.

As for your budgerigar (parakeet is generic for any small parrot), I'm very sorry. They are great little birds.

"Just when I though you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this....."

"......"

"...."

"........and TOTALLY redeem yourself."

Classic.

Sorry about your parakeets dieing OP. WHen I was real young (like 8) my mom was cleaning the bottom of our parakeet's cage with a shopvac, the bird jumped down, got sucked in and, well, it wasn't good.

i had a parakeet and when it was getting sick he took his own life. No shit. We knew he was getting sick. We were eating dinner one night and the bird came out on the door and just jumped straight down to the floor. Broke his own neck. Craziest thing I have ever seen. I know by telling this I just opened myself up for a lot of comments :)

[quote name='neushane']i had a parakeet and when it was getting sick he took his own life. No shit. We knew he was getting sick. We were eating dinner one night and the bird came out on the door and just jumped straight down to the floor. Broke his own neck. Craziest thing I have ever seen. I know by telling this I just opened myself up for a lot of comments :)[/QUOTE]
No way...lol...how high was it? I don't know if it would break it's neck from a jump, birds can recover from flying into a freaking wall- maybe windshield.

[/quote] Sorry about your parakeets dieing OP. WHen I was real young (like 8) my mom was cleaning the bottom of our parakeet's cage with a shopvac, the bird jumped down, got sucked in and, well, it wasn't good.[/quote]

That's crazy. We're thinking about getting a lizard or a little snake that doesn't eat mice.

[quote name='neushane']i had a parakeet and when it was getting sick he took his own life. No shit. We knew he was getting sick. We were eating dinner one night and the bird came out on the door and just jumped straight down to the floor. Broke his own neck. Craziest thing I have ever seen. I know by telling this I just opened myself up for a lot of comments :)[/quote]

Oh man, as a sick person I probably would've paid to see something that crazy.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Oh man, as a sick person I probably would've paid to see something that crazy.[/quote]

Not as horrific as seeing a cat get chewed up in a car engine's fan.

[quote name='shieryda']Not as horrific as seeing a cat get chewed up in a car engine's fan.[/quote]

I don't think I'd want to see that. I like cats though, and am not too fond of birds.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I don't think I'd want to see that. I like cats though, and am not too fond of birds.[/quote]

I was about 5 or 6 when a cat got up into my brother's engine and got mauled. I was in the car when he started the engine, and I think it scarred me for life.

[quote name='shieryda']Not as horrific as seeing a cat get chewed up in a car engine's fan.[/quote]

Well, I also have seen quite a few bird strikes in my time. That is when a flock of birds fly into an airplane engine. Try being the guy to have to clean that crap out, or even to take the pictures of the "damage"....Nasty.

Forgot to say sorry to the OP's loss. Just do not go out and get another bird thinking it will make you feel better, it wont.

[quote name='neushane']Well, I also have seen quite a few bird strikes in my time. That is when a flock of birds fly into an airplane engine. Try being the guy to have to clean that crap out, or even to take the pictures of the "damage"....Nasty.

Forgot to say sorry to the OP's loss. Just do not go out and get another bird thinking it will make you feel better, it wont.[/quote]

Oh yeah. I saw a show about how they hire falconers at some airports to keep out the gulls and other birds. They do a nasty job on an engine or a windshield.

bread's done
Back