My car got broken into last night TT

dejeckt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
I just wanted to see if anyone on here went through the same ordeal (hopefully have some advice).

My car was broken into and vandalized (why did they wreck my fender for?) last night along with some other people at the parking lot (don't know them). I parked the car for 3 hours at a pretty public parking lot near a street with heavy traffic from 10pm - 1am (shops at that lot were open till 2am).

I couldn't get to speak with my claims adjuster/agent (apparently he was busy) and couldn't file a police report (a hectic day, first thing on Monday though). When I tried to contact my claims adjuster at 4pm (third attempt) he wasn't there, but a receptionist helped answering some of my questions. She said that my car damages will be covered by my car insurance (with a $500 deductible), however the stolen items will not be covered. Luckily, I have renters insurance which supposedly should cover the items inside the car (glad my claims adjuster swindled me into getting renters insurance). She said this will cover the items in the car (with a $500.00 deductible).

Will the renters insurance really cover the items in the car when the car wasn't at the house?
My sister and I had pretty expensive stuff in the car...
-Digital Camera (took it for school)
-Laptop (same as above)
-Makeup (she says it costs in total of $300.00! I don't think she will lie... but does makeup really cost that much?)
-DS3 (went to a friends house)
-Purse
-misc small items (such as cigarettes, gamecube games [stuff I didn't trade in for gamestop credit], etc)
I have no way to prove that these items were in the car though (I may still have the receipt for the laptop somewhere around here), will my renters insurance cover all this?

I know I should probably speak with my claims adjuster/agent on Monday...but any help will be appreciated.

my car also got broken in to years ago. I was actually lucky. when i had my 95 integra, the night before i was about to put all my high end items to install such as an in-dash dvd player,ps2,5 TVs,2 12' Subs and a set of new speakers. total value $1000. well i got lazy and left the stuff in my house. And then the next day mine with 20 other cars in my complex got robbed. my radio,car jack, and donught were all gone. then I found out they used my donought and my car jack to steal my nieghbors rims off his 2000 Civic EX. . Keep a numbered value for each of your posessions. If they somehow catch the theif they will have to pay you back in retribution.

Renters insurance should cover your items. here is an article i found about comprehension and items inside your car if things were stolen.

https://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content44176.aspx

My car insurance won't cover theft, however I believe my renters insurance will presumably cover theft.

I seriously doubt they will catch the thief (the receptionist said sadly it is rare for these thieves to get caught, and it seems the police won't even bother to come to the scene [called the police and they just told us to file a police report]).

Thank you for the link, helpful but it doesn't seem to cover renters insurance (I think).

Luckily, none of the things that got stolen were new (besides a pack of cigarettes), however roughly I think sis and I paid at least $2000 for all the items at one point (the hp zd7000 [I think that was the model number] was pretty old though, prolly only $300.00 used today).

My sister has a lot more to worry about (cause they stole her social security card, credit card, and other personal items) and pretty bummed out on the make up and purse.

For me the laptop was a loss but I wouldn't be losing sleep over it...however why did go and bust my fender for? It has no value to the thieves...sigh...

When I had renters insurance it covered items being transported in your car, so I would guess that that's pretty standard coverage. Like you said, your claims agent will know for sure. If you have your policy you should be able to find it in the fine print somewhere.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']They stole her smokes? That's cold.[/quote]

mine too...but I only had 2 cigs in there while hers was a fresh pack...
when she canceled/froze her card the thieves were able to make 7 gas station charges and a grocery store charge...

how were they able to buy groceries with her card? don't they need an id (cause of the cashier)? they couldn't have used as a debit card cause no way could they get lucky and guess her pin.

yea, overall she got the short end of the straw (her digital camera was a high school graduation present from mom...and it means something to her cause at that time we were at rock bottom and had zero money also before graduation there was drama/tension/fight between mom and sis)

I've used credit cards plenty and they never check for ID. Frankly, I think credit cards should all require pin numbers, at least for physical use, to drastically cut down identity theft. Online use doesn't matter because even a debit card doesn't require a pin when you use it to buy shit online.

The only time somebody asks me for ID is when I *deposit* money into my bank account. I've made withdraws without an ID, but never a deposit. Never been carded using a CC though.

Cashiers are supposed to check the signatures on the card and receipt, if they don't match then ask for id. But I would say 95% do not.

I used to work at Safeway last year. As long as you sign the digital pad thing, it didn't matter. It would go through either way. Fred Meyers used to check the signature but it seems they've stopped to. I actually don't even sign my name now and make random comments or just a line or even a dot and it's always accepted. It's a bit concerning since it seems anybody can use a stolen credit card and get away with it.

[quote name='Thongsy']I used to work at Safeway last year. As long as you sign the digital pad thing, it didn't matter. It would go through either way. Fred Meyers used to check the signature but it seems they've stopped to. I actually don't even sign my name now and make random comments or just a line or even a dot and it's always accepted. It's a bit concerning since it seems anybody can use a stolen credit card and get away with it.[/QUOTE]

Credit cards are what i'd worry about the least. Cancel the card as soon as possible and you won't be liable for anything, you'll just have to fill out a couple forms.

That sucks, sorry to hear.

Maybe your sister should sign up for one of those identity theft monitoring services? Where they monitor the use of her social security number in case they try to sign up for new credit cards and so on.

[quote name='yukine']That sucks, sorry to hear.

Maybe your sister should sign up for one of those identity theft monitoring services? Where they monitor the use of her social security number in case they try to sign up for new credit cards and so on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially since she lost her ss#, she might want to contact the credit agencies and have them put a fraud alert on her number for a couple years. They might have suggestions on what else to do as well.

bread's done
Back